Seaboard92 Is Taking Off

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh "Seaboard92" good for you! You're moving up in the world of travel in more ways than one. American Airlines is a good company to work for (I know some people who worked for them). I wish you luck in your new adventure! But, I think they'll soon discover you'll be an asset to them. Best wishes, Jack
Aren't the regionals completely separate from AA in terms of HR and work rules?

I flew a regional jet for the first time yesterday. It was on PSA Airlines (American Eagle), and the crew was great! Best wishes!
What did you think of your first regional jet?

Once they got rid of the CRJ-200's and only have the 700 & 900 they took a big step up in my book...Envoy, another sub has a slew of E-175, a pretty nice regional a/c
I agree the smallest commercial jets can be really claustrophobic while the E170, E190, C700, & C900 are at least functional. I used to prefer Boeing and Airbus over Embraer and Bombardier but when AA began installing regional jet galleys and lavatories on mainline aircraft (Project Oasis) they removed most of the difference makers.

Thank you everyone for all the kind words again. I agree I really prefer the E170 series regional jets. Those are good little air planes. I also find the leg room to be better in them.

Aren't the regionals completely separate from AA in terms of HR and work rules?
most likely, both pilots, and cabin crews of the regionals are represented by different bargaining than their counterparts at AA
This is true. However, AA wholly owns three of the American Eagle carrier's....Envoy, Piedmont, and PSA. Currently, they also contract with independent Republic, Mesa, and Sky West.
Working for the wholly owned carrier's gives pilot's a negotiated, "pipeline guarantee" of promotion into mainline AA. Not sure if that includes flight attendants.

This is true. However, AA wholly owns three of the American Eagle carrier's....Envoy, Piedmont, and PSA. Currently, they also contract with independent Republic, Mesa, and Sky West.
Working for the wholly owned carrier's gives pilot's a negotiated, "pipeline guarantee" of promotion into mainline AA. Not sure if that includes flight attendants.

I hope it does but I'll be happy to do my time in the regional to earn that coveted mainline slot.

It does include Florida. Lots of Florida actually. I don't really like the route map they have online because it is so hard to make sense of things so I've actually been making my own interactive map of the potential destinations. The map above is missing the coveted South Dakota flights. Coveted because you only get paid when the doors are in flight and that's a good three hour haul one way meaning a lot of flight hours compared to the CLT-CAE flight. Yes we will most definitely connect again.

The Southern Pacific 10/6 is a different car. In reality it will be a 9/6 when I'm done with it as I'm going to take the roomette Amtrak converted into an ADA room and turn it into two showers. And reinstall the community restroom where it once was across from the Porters room. It'll take some work as someone took a hacksaw to the brake pipes, and the HEP cables were stolen. Luckily the vandals were caught in the act so the inside wasn't trashed and the electric locker is intact. It's not a bad car for the price I'm paying for it as I can get all of those items fixed easily.

Thank you Steve. I would say there is a fairly high chance I'll end up in Philly. Philly is one of the most junior bases in the airline if not the most junior so more than likely I'll be heading there. I'll know in about four weeks from today. I will definitely take you up on that offer. By chance would you know about any good spurs preferably near the airport I could move the Willow Grove to? What is that branch line on the east side of the airport? That and what areas are safe to stay in, things to do on the weekend without a car as I'll probably leave my car in SC for the time being.
Willow Grove! I worked that car many times on the A/T!.....was it 2447(?)

Willow Grove! I worked that car many times on the A/T!.....was it 2447(?)
I'll have to get back with you on that. I'll have to look up the Amtrak numbers. Any quirks I should know about the car. I'm in the process of acquiring it right now so it's a bit slow but once she's completely mine I have some big plans for her.

I'll have to get back with you on that. I'll have to look up the Amtrak numbers. Any quirks I should know about the car. I'm in the process of acquiring it right now so it's a bit slow but once she's completely mine I have some big plans for her.
Only thing I remember is how poorly constructed the walls for the converted handicap room were. You will be doing the right thing to tear that out...

Only thing I remember is how poorly constructed the walls for the converted handicap room were. You will be doing the right thing to tear that out...

You've probably heard this but do you know how Amtrak did the carpets on the walls. Amtrak bought a really high quality and noxious adhesive that the union balked at installing. So apparently they went to the local prison and got the convicts to do it. One would go thru slathering whatever that adhesive is (and it's some space program type stuff it's strong), the second would go by applying the carpet to the wall, and then an Amtrak guy who was the only one allowed to have a knife went thru to cut out the windows and doors. I don't know how true that is but I don't doubt it to be honest.

It'll make a good shower in the handicap room.

So I am back home now from the longest shortest month of my life. I finished No. 2 in my class and missed being the Valedictorian by .1 in the grade point average. Which is the closest I've ever come to that honor, and I probably would have gotten it if I would have studied more than being in the gym or doing fun things on weekends.

I have my Initial Operating Experience Scheduled for later this week with two overnights, one in Madison, WI, and one in Norfolk, VA.

While I was at training I did manage to ride two rare milage passenger trains on the Detroit, Toledo, & Ironton one between Springfield, OH and Lima, OH. The second from Leipsec, OH to Blissfield, MI. I'm only missing about thirty miles between Lima and Leipsec which I chased the train past several B&O CPL Signals. I also went to Kings Island where I studied my drills. Brace position is actually very helpful on roller coasters with the older style brakes.

I also went to Beech Grove on a Sunday to check out my car one last time before sending it off to the Great White North. I also became the 4th Non Amtrak Employee that I know of to do mechanical work on a Superliner because my friend Noah was needing someone to strip components off his Superliner he is scrapping. So I took some valves, and other things off. That and I installed some valves on his Superliner Is that he is putting back into service.

Quite a month. See you in the skies, and on the rails because the railroad isn't quite done with me yet. I'm buying another railcar to turn into a crash pad.

I also went to Beech Grove on a Sunday to check out my car one last time before sending it off to the Great White North. I also became the 4th Non Amtrak Employee that I know of to do mechanical work on a Superliner because my friend Noah was needing someone to strip components off his Superliner he is scrapping. So I took some valves, and other things off. That and I installed some valves on his Superliner Is that he is putting back into service.
Would it be possible for you to let us know which specific Superliner that is, without breaking any confidentiality agreements etc. of course? Thx.

So I am back home now from the longest shortest month of my life. I finished No. 2 in my class and missed being the Valedictorian by .1 in the grade point average. Which is the closest I've ever come to that honor, and I probably would have gotten it if I would have studied more than being in the gym or doing fun things on weekends.

I have my Initial Operating Experience Scheduled for later this week with two overnights, one in Madison, WI, and one in Norfolk, VA.

While I was at training I did manage to ride two rare milage passenger trains on the Detroit, Toledo, & Ironton one between Springfield, OH and Lima, OH. The second from Leipsec, OH to Blissfield, MI. I'm only missing about thirty miles between Lima and Leipsec which I chased the train past several B&O CPL Signals. I also went to Kings Island where I studied my drills. Brace position is actually very helpful on roller coasters with the older style brakes.

Quite a month. See you in the skies, and on the rails because the railroad isn't quite done with me yet. I'm buying another railcar to turn into a crash pad.
Congratulations on your achievement... :)

Would it be possible for you to let us know which specific Superliner that is, without breaking any confidentiality agreements etc. of course? Thx.

The Parts Donors are Transistion Car No. 39013 and coach No. 34033.

Some of the other Superliners he has are 32014, 31537, 38026 (Phase III), 6902 (Surfliner Cab Car), 33017, 45011 (?). I know he also has a Superliner Sleeper, a transition car, 2510, and god knows what else. His reporting mark is BUGX. He also has a few Horizons too I believe. A very interesting guy and he's younger than me.

He also has quite a stash of P42s as well. He's never told me what exactly he owns but he has everything in there tagged with his info. So looking back at my memory he also has P42 No. 1 but if I remember what I've been told he owns far more locomotives than cars. He is such a cool guy to talk to, very knowledgable and fun to hang around.

The Parts Donors are Transistion Car No. 39013 and coach No. 34033.

Some of the other Superliners he has are 32014, 31537, 38026 (Phase III), 6902 (Surfliner Cab Car), 33017, 45011 (?). I know he also has a Superliner Sleeper, a transition car, 2510, and god knows what else. His reporting mark is BUGX. He also has a few Horizons too I believe. A very interesting guy and he's younger than me.
Is he going to use 6902 for spare parts? I know it was burned beyond repair

Also how much do these cars and engines usually cost when being sold by Amtrak?

Is he going to use 6902 for spare parts? I know it was burned beyond repair

Also how much do these cars and engines usually cost when being sold by Amtrak?

It's actually not in that bad of condition. With some investment it could be made to run again.

Honestly it depends on the auction. Like there are still two diners expected to be surplussed in the next year or so. Those will go north of 100K if I was making a bet because there are two of them, and more bidders than cars. In the last auction they had more cars then bidders so prices were much lower. So it all depends who shows up on auction day. I won a car for 10K at the auction, passed on it for a mechanical defect I thought would be very expensive. And then rebought a different car at 25K, and I'm buying another for 25K.

Back