Seaboard92 Is Taking Off

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Canada US border is far from closed. Commercial crossing is still going on.
I am not aware of any border that is fully closed. I believe commerce continues across most borders where they normally happen. And in general, with the exception of Australia for time to time, dual citizens or permanent residents have been able to travel across the borders too.

Where did they put you up? Most of the hotels at the airport are locked down as federal quarantine hotels.

The Marriott at the Toronto Airport.

I am jealous that you get to go to Canada! Do you have to quarantine when you are there?

Airline crews are exempt to the quarantine requirements so I spent the layover taking the Union-Pearson Express downtown to watch some of the VIA Departures and to wander around downtown.

His experience does make me wonder when is a country's border really closed to other nationalities.

Honestly I don't think the borders are really closed at all. I had a lot of people who lived in Canada returning from vacation on that flight. Other flights I have a lot of people connecting to go to the middle east. I'm starting to see more connections from LHR as well.

The Marriott at the Toronto Airport.

Airline crews are exempt to the quarantine requirements so I spent the layover taking the Union-Pearson Express downtown to watch some of the VIA Departures and to wander around downtown.

Honestly I don't think the borders are really closed at all. I had a lot of people who lived in Canada returning from vacation on that flight. Other flights I have a lot of people connecting to go to the middle east. I'm starting to see more connections from LHR as well.
And now the PM has flip flopped and is letting the Blue Jays come back to Toronto from Buffalo, and in August the Borders will be opened to Vaccinated Americans.

I'm not sure if Vaccinated Canadians will be able to come to the US via land? Usually these
kind of agreements are quid pro quo between Governments!

We have a hybrid system with Mexico/ you can go via Plane (or Foot to the Border Towns) but can't cross by Vehicle.🤪 You just have to show a Negative Test within 3 days of boarding the Plane to return to the US!

I'm sorry. Perhaps you are exempt from quarantine requirements.....but it upsets me that you..... arriving from another country would come on here and flaunt you went railfanning downtown when residents of Toronto are just coming out of a lockdown that's seen at lot of business closed since last November. Indoor dining and gyms just opened the other day.

Even the agreement with the Blue Jays has restrictions on what they can do and who they can be in contact with..

I'm sorry. Perhaps you are exempt from quarantine requirements.....but it upsets me that you..... arriving from another country would come on here and flaunt you went railfanning downtown when residents of Toronto are just coming out of a lockdown that's seen at lot of business closed since last November. Indoor dining and gyms just opened the other day.

Even the agreement with the Blue Jays has restrictions on what they can do and who they can be in contact with..
I generally agree with this with the caveat that if he was wearing a Mask and was Vaccinated and was following your guidelines, he was being Responsible.

Your officials are the ones that make the rules, long as they're followed, you can't ask for more.

I generally agree with this with the caveat that if he was wearing a Mask and was Vaccinated and was following your guidelines, he was being Responsible.

Your officials are the ones that make the rules, long as they're followed, you can't ask for more.

He's basically an essential worker who have never been stopped from crossing the border. But does that allow 'tourist type' activities. Perhaps Seaboard can comment?

He's basically an essential worker who have never been stopped from crossing the border. But does that allow 'tourist type' activities. Perhaps Seaboard can comment?

For starters I wear a mask everywhere I go not just at work or to eat. I avoid places inside to eat at all possible, and even in the gym I wear a mask which is difficult. Other then that I do strictly outdoor things I don't generally go in places. For Toronto my favorite spot is just railroad west of the station mostly to get what remains of the "old" corridor before the new sets come online. Then over to the Toronto sign just because it's a favorite memory of mine. But nothing on the inside. Downtown is still a relative ghost town to what it has been in years past. I have never seen Union Station with so few people especially at rush hour. However the train frequency on GO is just about where it always has been.

Sounds like most of the Toronto Commuters that took Trains are still working from home.

How's the traffic on the Highways around Toronto and how busy is Pearson?

Pearson is a complete and utter ghost town. You wouldn't know it was a major international airport unless you were looking at the apron activity.

Comically, this discussion gave me visions of a delivery boy who is allowed entry into the kitchen to make a delivery then choosing to go off exploring the bedrooms of the house claiming that afterall he was still wearing the delivery gloves, so it is OK :D 🤪🤷‍♂️

Well in a way I am the delivery boy. I'm brining back all of the Canadians that somehow made it into the USA on "essential" business. Most of which originated in the following airports: MIA, FLL, MCO, TPA, SRQ, and RSW. With a healthy dose of LAS in there as well. The Canadian-Florida market is still alive and well.

Well in a way I am the delivery boy. I'm brining back all of the Canadians that somehow made it into the USA on "essential" business. Most of which originated in the following airports: MIA, FLL, MCO, TPA, SRQ, and RSW. With a healthy dose of LAS in there as well. The Canadian-Florida market is still alive and well.
People with Money always find a way to get what they want!

Canadians are allowed to fly to the United states for any reason - not just for essential business.
Correct. That never changed during the entire pandemic and even the requirement for a negative test didn't start until earlier this year. The problem was getting back. It was possible but "complicated". Many people we know (whether right or wrong) still vacationed in the US this past winter. We did not, for the first time in several years.

Correct. That never changed during the entire pandemic and even the requirement for a negative test didn't start until earlier this year. The problem was getting back. It was possible but "complicated". Many people we know (whether right or wrong) still vacationed in the US this past winter. We did not, for the first time in several years.
Yes they both came on vaccination vacation to Florida and also for infection carrier vacations. I suppose both must have worked out well :D

The amount of crazies in the airport this week is growing. I had one day of hot reserve where I sit in the airport for eight hours in case something causes a need where they might need someone to take a flight. They didn't use me so it was somewhat a waste of time but in that I managed to go to several gates to watch the "Retro Jets" and the amount of people terrorizing the poor gate agents is insane. Usually it's people who are running late to their connections and the doors close just before they get there. Most of these people stop to either buy food, or use the facilities on the way and are getting there too late. Then they start flailing their arms and shouting explicative words at the poor gate agents. That number is growing. What really disturbs me is that the gate agents are oftentimes still letting them on if the plane door is still open and the jetbridge connected.

I don't want these people on my plane if they are acting like that. Last night I was watching Amtrak come thru my town at one AM and I bumped into our local police and they happily gave me a self defense lesson and how to use handcuffs so I can deal with these people. What was really unique about that I got to practice handcuffing on a police officer. I love living in a small town sometimes.

The other thing that really bothers me about my fellow attendants is how lackadaisical they are when it comes to customer service. The one I most recently had was very abrasive to the point of being rude to passengers and he didn't really understand why I wasn't the same way. Yes we are there for the passengers safety first and foremost but we are also there to provide customer service and we shouldn't leave people all but in tears because of how they are talked to. I shouldn't have to be apologizing for my colleagues tone. I don't understand why we don't get customer service and sensitivity training on how to handle our passengers. He also didn't understand why on our delayed flight into Charlotte from Providence why I was going around the plane giving everyone advice on how to reach their connection, or get a hotel paid for by the airline. And in once case for the Atlanta passengers I recommended the Crescent so someone could get to their cancer treatment on-time. I don't really think this should be going above and beyond the call of duty because this should be our call of duty.

I also don't understand why when fifteen different employees walk by the massive line for customer service why no one ever tells them there are four other customer service counters in the airport and most of those never have more than four people in line waiting. We are there to serve our passengers and provide them the best help we can give. I don't see why I am the only one in the entire airport who is actively roaming around trying to answer questions and help. The sad thing is I'm not getting paid for that either I do it strictly because it is the right thing to do. People who are having a bad day can easily have their mood changed by one person taking just a moment to help them.

The other day I had a really distraught young woman who was having a breakdown in the airport like some ten employees walked by. I walked up found out that she missed her connection to Roanoke, VA because the gate had just closed before she had gotten to it too late because her inbound was 40 minutes late and her mother just died. She didn't want to wait in the sixty deep line to get rebooked on the next one as that would have caused her to miss the next one which was the last of the day. So I took her over to the other concourse in D which had no line. And I did the talking for her because she was in no place to talk she was so upset and took care of getting her rebooked. Then I got her on the next flight to Roanoke to be with her family. I turned a completely negative view of American Airlines into a positive one just by listening, and guiding someone thru a bad moment.

I may be a regional employee for a wholly owned subsidiary but I wear the American Airlines uniform and represent their brand. I try my best to represent it best that I can I just wish everyone else would pull some of the weight. Imagine what would happen if you had a whole airline of people who actually cared and tried at the level of what I do? We would be the No. 1 airline in the world for customer service.

It seems like most large companies make their customer service departments "customer no-service departments". This is true for banks, airlines, and Amtrak. I called 1-800-USA-RAIL today and I was informed by Julie that it was a 1 hour wait. It would also be nice if Amtrak redirected the IATA codes to the Amtrak station located in that city. An example would be if I entered ORD for Chicago. It would redirect me to CHI instead.

I fly United not American, but I run into airline employees that really work to make trips as pleasant as possible in really trying times. There have been a TON of weather related delays this summer and they seem to just cascade on and on. But usually the airline people I speak with do their best to get me where I want to go, though I have had to spend a night in Denver a time or two on my way to Billings, and then on a different trip, on my way back to IAD. I see people blustering or yelling at harried airline employees that simply do not have the ability to manufacture the seats the flyers want and need.
But I have found that by greeting them first and asking how they are doing, it really helps to get us on a the same page. Though sometimes there simply aren't any jets flying where I need to go, let alone open seats on that jet...
And then I end up staying an extra day in Denver and my dog stays an extra day at the Perfect Pet Resort. :-(
I am lucky though. Getting delayed is a lot less stressful now that I am retired and I am not letting a client down by having to cancel an appointment due to a delay.

The amount of crazies in the airport this week is growing. I had one day of hot reserve where I sit in the airport for eight hours in case something causes a need where they might need someone to take a flight. They didn't use me so it was somewhat a waste of time but in that I managed to go to several gates to watch the "Retro Jets" and the amount of people terrorizing the poor gate agents is insane. Usually it's people who are running late to their connections and the doors close just before they get there. Most of these people stop to either buy food, or use the facilities on the way and are getting there too late. Then they start flailing their arms and shouting explicative words at the poor gate agents. That number is growing. What really disturbs me is that the gate agents are oftentimes still letting them on if the plane door is still open and the jetbridge connected.

I don't want these people on my plane if they are acting like that. Last night I was watching Amtrak come thru my town at one AM and I bumped into our local police and they happily gave me a self defense lesson and how to use handcuffs so I can deal with these people. What was really unique about that I got to practice handcuffing on a police officer. I love living in a small town sometimes.

The other thing that really bothers me about my fellow attendants is how lackadaisical they are when it comes to customer service. The one I most recently had was very abrasive to the point of being rude to passengers and he didn't really understand why I wasn't the same way. Yes we are there for the passengers safety first and foremost but we are also there to provide customer service and we shouldn't leave people all but in tears because of how they are talked to. I shouldn't have to be apologizing for my colleagues tone. I don't understand why we don't get customer service and sensitivity training on how to handle our passengers. He also didn't understand why on our delayed flight into Charlotte from Providence why I was going around the plane giving everyone advice on how to reach their connection, or get a hotel paid for by the airline. And in once case for the Atlanta passengers I recommended the Crescent so someone could get to their cancer treatment on-time. I don't really think this should be going above and beyond the call of duty because this should be our call of duty.

I may be a regional employee for a wholly owned subsidiary but I wear the American Airlines uniform and represent their brand. I try my best to represent it best that I can I just wish everyone else would pull some of the weight. Imagine what would happen if you had a whole airline of people who actually cared and tried at the level of what I do? We would be the No. 1 airline in the world for customer service.

Oh I have so many questions. I hope I will be able to visit that museum while I'm up there. I'm not sure what type of free time we will have. I haven't found much information online about what all training entails but I do know what time it starts. I've heard that we might have some weekends free and there is a rail excursion in nearby Springfield I might want to ride if I in fact have weekends free. As I can easily study onboard a train it's my native environment after all. I managed a 4.0 GPA all while working on the rails usually by studying in the crew room.

Where is the best Fried Chicken, burgers, and fries. Those are always items I look for in every city I go to. I won't have a car so I'm stuck wherever the hotel is, and if I do get time off I might take a city bus into downtown.

How is public transit in Dayton? Any good railfaning spots I can sit and study at?
Buses, buses, and buses. It is very hard to get around without a car. The main transit systems are SCAT, which covers Springfield, GDRTA, which covers Montgomery County, and Greene CATS, which covers Greene County.
I have a feeling I'm going to need to get a rental car at least one day as I'm always in for something like that. One of my first trips to Huntington, WV we went to one of those older roadside Dairy Bars and it was amazing. Such a good memory.

Most definitely. I'll be around here for a long time. I might use the travel benefits to finish off the Amtrak network once I start getting some days off.
You can get to Young's dairy via public transit. You have to take a bus to downtown Dayton, and then book a ride to Youngs Dairy via the Greene CATS program.
That is one thing I love about the idea of working for the airline that I can hit all of the rail milage I have wanted to hit for a long time. I love the idea it will give me opportunities to learn about how things are done all over the world. What I don't know is if I want a visa for Russia I have to send my passport away for a few weeks. I don't know how I can manage that as a flight attendant.

I will be safe. I've already ran into one of those people on the way back from my United Interview when a flight was canceled someone ripped my tie off. The old railroad trick of a clip on made sense because all he got was air.

I really hope and pray with every part of my being to get Charlotte. They say I can definitely move to CLT within three to six months however I really hope I get it right from the start.

I believe all the flight attendants in the company make the same amount of money so that does make Dayton look a lot nicer. Now if it only had Amtrak service.

It was a lot of fun while it lasted riding trains for work, and I'm not completely done with that just yet. If there is a trip that needs me I'm happy to take the time off to work it.

Your private railcar trip is still on. I'm just waiting on you to give me the go ahead to reach out to the car owner. Once that is done I will make a point to do my best to be there.
Riding Amtrak from Dayton requires lots of planning. You have to drive 90 mins to Cincinnati at 3 am to catch a train, spend the night in a hotel in Toledo to catch one, or just take a bus to Chicago.

Buses, buses, and buses. It is very hard to get around without a car. The main transit systems are SCAT, which covers Springfield, GDRTA, which covers Montgomery County, and Greene CATS, which covers Greene County.

You can get to Young's dairy via public transit. You have to take a bus to downtown Dayton, and then book a ride to Youngs Dairy via the Greene CATS program.

Riding Amtrak from Dayton requires lots of planning. You have to drive 90 mins to Cincinnati at 3 am to catch a train, spend the night in a hotel in Toledo to catch one, or just take a bus to Chicago.

Thank you for that. Of course now it's too late because I'm out of training. And we are closing the Dayton training base too. If I had come just a few months later it would have been in Charlotte too.

Back