Seat comfort

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer
I have had trouble trying tofind the seat sizes for Amtrak railcars. If you can be of any help, please supply any of the seat information for these cars:

Amfleet I

Amfleet II

Superliner I and II

Horizon

Talgo

California Car

Acela

North Carolina Car

Any information on other railcars would also be appreciated. Please supply if possible:

Seat pitch

Seat width

Class of travel

Type of railcar

I don't want to see this post disappear so I will post my very limited impression of what various Amtrak seats dimensions are:

First of all, Amtraks FAQ on the Acela vs. Airline shuttle seats:

Seat width Amtrak Acela FC (maximum)

23"

Business is 21" Shuttle 19"

Seat pitch Amtrak FC and Business (maximum)

42"

Shuttle 34"

Superliner seats usually have 50" pitch, though some seats can be as 'little' as 46" and a few have nearly 52". Most are around 21" wide, with 20" being the minimum and 23" the max.

I believe Amfleet I has 40" pitch and the Amfleet II has between 50" and, more rarely, 55" for some seats.

Acela is easy. You can find that information on Amtrak's Acela web site.

Classes of service can also be found. What is difficult is the seat dimensions for most seats.

Acela is easy. You can find that information on Amtrak's Acela web site.

Classes of service can also be found. What is difficult is the seat dimensions for most seats.
Can one assume the shorter pitches are on trains carrying passengers riding no more than an hour or two? All the trains I've ever taken in my life had immense leg room.

Does anybody have information about the other cars? How do they cxompare to the New and Old Greyhound?
Amtrak seats are considerably roomier (no, I haven't taken a tape measure to them, only "the seat of my pants" :) ). The Amtrak cars are a full two feet wider than a bus, with the same 4 across seating in most cases, even though some of that space is allocated to a wider aisle. And new or old Greyhound buses do not have more legroom either, not even the short-haul Amtrak seats....

Does anybody have information about the other cars? How do they cxompare to the New and Old Greyhound?
Amtrak seats are considerably roomier (no, I haven't taken a tape measure to them, only "the seat of my pants" :) ). The Amtrak cars are a full two feet wider than a bus, with the same 4 across seating in most cases, even though some of that space is allocated to a wider aisle. And new or old Greyhound buses do not have more legroom either, not even the short-haul Amtrak seats....
I know that. What I do not know is the GLI seat pitch. :wacko:

I know that. What I do not know is the GLI seat pitch. :wacko:
Okay. I'll try to remember to measure some of them tomorrow, and report back. Be advised that there can be variations. Sometimes, when they take a row of four seats from a bus to increase pitch, they don't take the time to evenly spread all of the other rows out. They may only move a few rows on either side of the removed row to 'even them out'. This is especially true on Trailways New York buses. As a result, certain rows have 'bonus' leg room.

Edit: Before we raise the ire of the bus-haters, I will reply on the 'other transportation' category...... <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Seat pitch can be a bit misleading for Amtrak. It measures the distance between seats but ignores seat thickness. Airline seats are thin and light; I'd say your typical Amtrak seat is a good 2-3" thicker...and thank goodness for it. But the end result is that the pitch comparison with planes isn't quite apples to apples.

All I know is they are wide enough and far enough apart for a 6'5" 300lb man to ride comfortably, sleep comfortably, and exit from a window seat to the aisle without waking the passenger next to him
cool.gif
. Try doing that on a bus or plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back