Seat Etiquette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjibear

Conductor
I am a tall person and one thing that bothers me when riding on a train is when the person in front wants to put their seat all the way back. The Amfleet coaches that don't have alot of legroom like they run on the Keystone or NER is what I am talking about. For me it is about slamming into my knees and not giving me enough space. I understand that they should deserve to do that, but for me it makes my ride uncomfortable. If available I will move to another seat.

I hear you, but it's even worse in planes. The seat pitch is less, and most seats are occupied! :eek:
One of the first things I was taught traveling with my parents was to avoid encroaching on other passengers' space - airplane, train or otherwise. Yes, your seat (with a few exceptions) is designed to recline. Yes, you paid for it. Yes, it is extremely rude to recline your seat all the way back towards the nose & knees of the passenger behind you - especially in coach. But there always will be that element that does it anyway. I wonder if the "Knee Defender" device sold online will work on the seats in Amtrak coaches?

I hear you, but it's even worse in planes. The seat pitch is less, and most seats are occupied! :eek:
One of the first things I was taught traveling with my parents was to avoid encroaching on other passengers' space - airplane, train or otherwise. Yes, your seat (with a few exceptions) is designed to recline. Yes, you paid for it. Yes, it is extremely rude to recline your seat all the way back towards the nose & knees of the passenger behind you - especially in coach. But there always will be that element that does it anyway. I wonder if the "Knee Defender" device sold online will work on the seats in Amtrak coaches?
This is OT, but when the person in front of me puts their seat all the way back, I've been known to do the same, just to have a bit of space. Not so much on Amtrak, where seat pitch is more civilized, but on flying sardine cans, where it is often not.

I didn't set up the configuration, I'm just trying to survive the flight.

I would just ask for the front seat row where nobody would be able to recline into my space if it bothered me that much. I know for fact they will reserve those rows if ask. Even if you do not get on at the starting point.

Unfortunately, many in our modern society were either not taught to care about others or just do not care :(

I would never impose my reclined seat on the person behind me, but I have had many in front recline as far back as the seat will allow. :angry: I am 6'6" and sure glad Amtrak seats have some leeway. Otherwise, my knees would be pushing into their restful sleep :giggle:

It is a matter of manners vs the "me" generation. I suppose we must learn to live with it, but it is sad that so many have this attitude

I don't really agree with this topic. Are we going to be so critical, that now people can't even put a seat back when they want to go to sleep? I cannot sleep upright, and the best way for me to get sleep is to put the seat back as far as it will go. If it's such a big deal, like someone said, get the front seats, or the seat behind the stairs, or upgrade to a sleeper. I don't see anything rude about using what Amtrak has designed. If it was so rude, why would they design it that way? :blink:

To clarify, I am not talking about superliners. I actually have never been on one but hopefully someday.

I am talking about the Amfleet I coaches that are used on the Keystone, the Northeast Regional, and other short distance trains. I beleive these cars are 72 seats per car. The Amfleet II cars which are used on LD trains such as the Crescent and the Pennsylvanian, are 60 seats per car which gives one much more room. I beleive the Amfleet II cars, the seats may actually recline more, have the root rest on the seat in front of you, and have the flip leg rest on your seat. I am not 100% correct on these facts but I know the the cars on the Keystone and the NER is what my comment is about.

Keep in mind that Amtrak also designed the flip down tray on the seat in front of you, which I would think would be impossible to use if that person is reclined all the way.

I'm sure it varies from person to person; we're all different sizes, shapes, ages, comfort levels...

I spent 10 hours on the Vermonter last weekend in coach (the NEC coaches) and while the legroom was tight, reclining in front of me wasn't an issue. Same goes for other trains I've been on. It may be hard to cross my legs, but I'm not concerned about what someone else does... and expect that I'm not bothering someone else if I recline too.

Put me on an airplane, however, and I won't recline if there's anyone behind me, even on a 6-hour flight. I'll get noticeably annoyed at someone in front of me who does. I'd be tempted to argue that airline seats shouldn't recline as much, or at all! I've actually been pleasantly surprised when put in the last row on codeshare flights--there may be "limited recline" but I'm not feeling guilty about using it, and I might actually get some sleep.

Our tolerances may all be a bit different (and for good reason) but I wouldn't just chalk it up to manners.

I am a tall person and one thing that bothers me when riding on a train is when the person in front wants to put their seat all the way back. The Amfleet coaches that don't have alot of legroom like they run on the Keystone or NER is what I am talking about. For me it is about slamming into my knees and not giving me enough space. I understand that they should deserve to do that, but for me it makes my ride uncomfortable. If available I will move to another seat.
I am not that tall, but agree with you. While every passanger has the right to fully recline their seatbacks, they do not have the right to slam it back. I, on a train or plane, will slowly recline to its fullest to give the person behind me ample time to clear out of the way their knees and to ensure depending on the design, someone does not end up with a meal on their lap.

Keep in mind that Amtrak also designed the flip down tray on the seat in front of you, which I would think would be impossible to use if that person is reclined all the way.
I am small, and I do not mind when someone reclines their seat. What has been horrible to me before is when someone in front of me is reclined, and I have food on the tray table. He/She presses the button to release but does not keep leaning against the seat to recline slowly. The whole thing jerks, and where does my food end up? In my lap or on the floor.

Yeah, it seems as if people are oblivious to the world around them. In an airplane, I will often not recline at all during the day; I do some at night, as I assume that it is likely that the person behind is doing the same. Certainly never during mealtimes.... I've seen people slam the seat back while someone is eating. Naturally, there is often a spill of whatever drink they might have on the table. There is a new design of coach seats, though, that do not impede on the other person's space when you recline--they slide forward when you recline, making the disruption to the pax behind you minimal.... A good improvement in these times of airlines needing to pack in more people.

To clarify, I am not talking about superliners. I actually have never been on one but hopefully someday.

I am talking about the Amfleet I coaches that are used on the Keystone, the Northeast Regional, and other short distance trains. I beleive these cars are 72 seats per car. The Amfleet II cars which are used on LD trains such as the Crescent and the Pennsylvanian, are 60 seats per car which gives one much more room. I beleive the Amfleet II cars, the seats may actually recline more, have the root rest on the seat in front of you, and have the flip leg rest on your seat. I am not 100% correct on these facts but I know the the cars on the Keystone and the NER is what my comment is about.

I do believe yor are correct about the AMI and AMII cars. However, the tray can be used (at least on an AMII) when the seat is back.

And for the poster who suggested getting the first row of the car or the first row behind the stairs on a Superliner - be aware that those rows may have more room, but they also lack a tray table! :eek:

I am a tall person and one thing that bothers me when riding on a train is when the person in front wants to put their seat all the way back.
Well, its their space. The space Amtrak gives that seat to physically occupy, and while they are seated there, its theirs to use.

If its in my way, it is certainly not that passenger's fault or problem. They have ever right to enjoy their trip as much as any other passenger including myself. It would be misplaced anger to starting blaming that other passenger for getting comfortable or wanting to get a sleep. They have no control over the seat pitch. That's Amtrak, and if one needs to vent such anger, vent it toward Amtrak.

I would never think of moving back my front seat in a car without asking the person behind me if they have enough leg room. People on trains and airplanes should learn to do the same.

I've never understood the "recline" function of airline coach seats. What does it accomplish? If I can't fall asleep upright those two or three extra inches back aren't going to change anything. All the recline function does is push my seat into somebody's business. Completely pointless. I actually laugh at all the flight attendants who make such a fuss over two or three inches of recline before takeoff or landing. I just can't imagine how two or three inches of recline is going to impact who lives and who dies. I've been chastised by numerous flight attendants because they couldn't get it through their thick skulls that the seat I was in wasn't "reclined" so much as it was simply broken. Just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Nevertheless, to the best of knowledge each and every major US airline has formally banned the seat defender anyway. If Amtrak hasn't banned it my guess is that it's because they haven't yet been 'tipped off' to its existence. :giggle:

Seat reclining isn't just for sleeping. Some people may be uncomfortable in the upright position, though they should be able to adjust it w/o affecting the person behind them in this case.

I agree, I do sometimes adjust my seatt maybe an inch back to get the most comfortable pitch.

I am a tall person and one thing that bothers me when riding on a train is when the person in front wants to put their seat all the way back.
Well, its their space. The space Amtrak gives that seat to physically occupy, and while they are seated there, its theirs to use.

If its in my way, it is certainly not that passenger's fault or problem. They have ever right to enjoy their trip as much as any other passenger including myself. It would be misplaced anger to starting blaming that other passenger for getting comfortable or wanting to get a sleep. They have no control over the seat pitch. That's Amtrak, and if one needs to vent such anger, vent it toward Amtrak.
I'm with CCC on this one.

Are we really not supposed to recline our seats that are meant to be reclined and that we paid to occupy?

Do some people really think that we should ask permission to do so from a stranger who didn't pay for our ticket because they may be tall or eating or just don't like the idea of a reclined seat in front of them?

Sheesh

Honestly, I'm extremely polite and nice,or so I've been told
mosking.gif
but I also expect to get what I paid for and I won't ask strangers for permission to enjoy what I paid for - simple as that.

I've never had anything knocked off my tray or my space invaded by a reclined seat on the train

The only single level I've been on is the LSL though and but I had no problems there either.

When I fly, I expect nothing but discomfort so I deal with it.

Now, if you want to talk about something that gets my goat, little kids that peer over the seat or kick the back of your seat - UGH - I've only experienced those when flying, not on a train.... yet.

I'm really good with the evil eye
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The conductors on my nightly commute home on Metra's Union Pacific Northwest Line do not tolerate seat hogs or feet on seats. They make several announcements prior to departure and do not hesitate to assertively single people out who fail to heed their warnings. One conductor spells it out: "This is always a very crowded train. Do not be flipping seats unless you're a party of three or more. And we're not going to make other passengers stand just so you can put your suitcases, backpacks, parcels and bags next to you. Put these in your lap or on the rack above. We're not talking to some of you -- we're talking to all of you. And remember: FEET BELONG ON THE FLOOR."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back