Seat spacing in coach, re covid pandemic?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
I believe that solo passengers currently always get a double seat to themselves in coach, due to covid spacing criteria?
I hear that daily services are re-starting late May, is there any info yet on whether the passengers will still be spaced apart, without a seating companion?

I believe that solo passengers currently always get a double seat to themselves in coach, due to covid spacing criteria?
I hear that daily services are re-starting late May, is there any info yet on whether the passengers will still be spaced apart, without a seating companion?

Most airlines have already started filling all seats. I think Delta is the only one that isn’t? As demand increases I would imagine Amtrak will change the capacity limit.

Most airlines have already started filling all seats. I think Delta is the only one that isn’t? As demand increases I would imagine Amtrak will change the capacity limit.
I am surprised to hear that about the airlines, its not as if the pandemic has suddenly vanished?

I hope the enforced social distancing on Amtrak remains, I don't have much confidence in folk managing to "be sensible" without rules and regs...

Having two seats to yourself,especially overnight makes all the difference in the world. Wishful thinking,but I hope this policy never ends. Flying is different. Usually five to six hours max.

To be honest, when I first travelled solo in coach, around 2006-ish I never got a seating companion. Trains were less used then, so spreading out over two seats was the norm at night!

I am surprised to hear that about the airlines, its not as if the pandemic has suddenly vanished?
When profit motive is the primary directive other considerations are secondary. Kudos to Delta for bucking the rest of the domestic airline industry but unfortunately for me they do not fly where I'm likely to travel in the foreseeable future. I'm glad to hear that Amtrak is still distancing and hope they allow coach passengers to purchase two seats in the post-pandemic period. I have never understood their professed fear of selling two seats to one passenger. I've seen Amtrak coach attendants ignore and boss coach customers around so the idea that they cannot handle explaining this to other customers is puzzling. I could understand suspending multiple seat purchases for holiday travel periods though.

Last edited:
Just in time for the New "Variants" to start a Spike in Cases as everyone rushes to return to " Normal"! 🤬😷
Interestingly, the recommendation on distancing from WHO has all throughout been 1m (a little more than 3 feet) while wearing mask.

I don't think there is a specific social distancing recommendation without wearing a mask either from the WHO or the CDC. But it is quite true that if you are well spread out in an open space, wearing a mask is not that important.

I have been to open beaches with low to no crowding all through the pandemic and have never worn a mask as long as there was hardly anyone around me.

Last edited:
When profit motive is the primary directive other considerations are secondary. Kudos to Delta for bucking the rest of the domestic airline industry but unfortunately for me they do not fly where I'm likely to travel in the foreseeable future. I'm glad to hear that Amtrak is still distancing and hope they allow coach passengers to purchase two seats in the post-pandemic period. I have never understood their professed fear of selling two seats to one passenger. I've seen Amtrak coach attendants ignore and boss coach customers around so the idea that they cannot handle explaining this to other customers is puzzling. I could understand suspending multiple seat purchases for holiday travel periods though.
I would gladly buy the seat next to me,just to keep it free. I don't understand why Amtrak won't allow this. Hopefully,having two seats to yourself will be the norm for quite awhile.

I hope the enforced social distancing on Amtrak remains, I don't have much confidence in folk managing to "be sensible" without rules and regs...
Even with guidelines most awareness of how far six feet is seems to have vanished, around me at least. The earlier attention to avoiding close proximity to strangers is no longer observable. It seems reliance has shifted to masks in which I personally have little to no faith. This behavior scares me.

Even with guidelines most awareness of how far six feet is seems to have vanished, around me at least. The earlier attention to avoiding close proximity to strangers is no longer observable. It seems reliance has shifted to masks in which I personally have little to no faith. This behavior scares me.
Why do you have No Faith in Masks,??? Surely you dont believe the Anti-Masker Morons!!

I am not anti-mask myself, but I don't think they are honestly much use in offering protection. I hope I am wrong, and always wear mine when out and about, more as a lucky charm than anything!

The AZ jab seems to have been given the all clear over blood clots by the EU now...

Back