Seating for Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am traveling home from NWK on the 43 Pennsylvanian. Are the business class car(s) marked on the outside or how do I know where to go?

I am also traveling, next Sunday, on the 44 Pennsylvanian from HAR to NWK in business class. So I assume the same thing applies boarding in HAR as NWK (as far as finding the business class car).

By the way (for anybody who looked at my last few threads) I made it to EWR on the train from HAR and I LOVED it. No more flying for me! (at least to this customer's office).

BC should be in the combination BC and snack car. I forget what is says, but it should be obvious. Inside you will find 2-1 seating, and those comfy Lazboy-like reclining chairs.

Also, at some station, BC gets priority boarding. Listen for the "we are now boarding handicapped and BC passengers".

I am traveling home from NWK on the 43 Pennsylvanian. Are the business class car(s) marked on the outside or how do I know where to go?
I am also traveling, next Sunday, on the 44 Pennsylvanian from HAR to NWK in business class. So I assume the same thing applies boarding in HAR as NWK (as far as finding the business class car).

By the way (for anybody who looked at my last few threads) I made it to EWR on the train from HAR and I LOVED it. No more flying for me! (at least to this customer's office).
The Business class car is usually the first (after the engine) or last car on the train.

In the Northeast, business class should always be the first car on the train behind the engine.

On the Pennsylvanian, it will probably be located in the front half of the cafe car. If that is the case, expect the car to be labeled as "Cafe"; it may not be labeled as Business Class on the outside.

Nothing is ever 100% certain with Amtrak, so listen carefully to announcements and ask an employee if you're not sure.

I ride the Pennsy from PGH to NWK a few times a year. In all of the times I've ridden it, the BC car (marked "cafe") is on the rear of the train between PGH and PHL. When the train switches locomotives in PHL, the BC car is in the front of the train, right behind the electric locomotive.

I ride the Pennsy from PGH to NWK a few times a year. In all of the times I've ridden it, the BC car (marked "cafe") is on the rear of the train between PGH and PHL. When the train switches locomotives in PHL, the BC car is in the front of the train, right behind the electric locomotive.
I don't remember them switching ends at PHL. I remember they took off the Electric at PHL (going east) and put the diesel on the same end. The Cafe / Biz class car was on the rear IIRC.

I don't remember them switching ends at PHL. I remember they took off the Electric at PHL (going east) and put the diesel on the same end. The Cafe / Biz class car was on the rear IIRC.
Oh, they do. In BC, I've always sat backwards from NWK-PHL and then forwards from PHL-PGH. I've detrained on the platform in PHL and watched the electric logo speed away from one end of the train and then a diesel loco couple with the other end of the train.

Oh, they do. In BC, I've always sat backwards from NWK-PHL and then forwards from PHL-PGH. I've detrained on the platform in PHL and watched the electric logo speed away from one end of the train and then a diesel loco couple with the other end of the train.
They have to switch ends in Philly. Failure to do so would see the train arriving in DC in about 2.5 hours.

In order to reach 30th Street Station in Philly, the train must proceed south of the line that runs to Harrisburg/Pittsburgh. As one approaches Philly from NY, one crosses the Schykill River and then hits Zoo Interlocking. The line to Harrisburg turns right at Zoo. 30th Street Station is south of Zoo on the NEC heading to DC. So after stopping in 30th, you must come back out going north to reach Zoo interlocking and turn west. So a change of ends is a must, no other way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back