Seating Protocol

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW...I will never stop riding the rails...! I wish I could somehow afford a sleeper every so often to see how the other half lives. Any suggestions on how to cut costs in some way on First-Class service....? (Guess I should take this topic to another topic post...sorry)

But why have to complain or beg or plead...? Easy thing for any conductor to again say - "Sure, Go Ahead"

I just booked 9 trains with roomettes on 5 of them using points I've accumulated between Amtrak travel and 2 Guest Rewards credit cards.  

BTW...I will never stop riding the rails...! I wish I could somehow afford a sleeper every so often to see how the other half lives. Any suggestions on how to cut costs in some way on First-Class service....? (Guess I should take this topic to another topic post...sorry)
Use AmSnag to find the cheapest dates, make sure you create an Amtrak Guest Rewards account, and get the BoA AGR World card. It's pretty amazing just how fast you'll rack up points with that card, and with the $100 statement credit you get right off the bat, you net an immediate $21 against the $79 sign-up/annual fee!

Last edited by a moderator:
First and foremost, when getting on at an LD origination station like Chicago, sit where they tell you.  In the case of the Lakeshore Ltd or the Empire Builder, as these trains split the next day, if you're in the wrong car, you'll end up several hundred miles from your destination.  Their ticket scanner flashes your destination city so, for example, if you're in a New York car with a destination of BOS, he'll tell you to move to the Boston section up front.

Sometime after you've gotten your seat check, and preferably just as the train is stopping at its first or second stop down the line, simply switch seats and move your seat check, too.  From what I've seen, the boarding passengers at all stops down the line generally sit anywhere in the car they are told to sit in...BOS car for BOS, etc.  Be sure to double check that boarding passengers are sitting in the same area as you are, as there may really be a big group down the line and you don't want to stick out being the only passenger in the front 10 rows of the car, for example.  Be sure to move your luggage with you and mimic the placement of the seat check...leaning to the right, vertical, etc.  Should the conductor tell you to move back, tell him it's too hot, noisy, smelly, or any other reasonable excuse of why you moved.  The aisle light in your eyes when you're trying to sleep is a good one too.

Amtrak really needs to speed up the boarding process outside the NEC.  It should work exactly as it does on the NEC.  If Amtrak wants to assign seats, have them be assigned automatically 24 hours prior to departure or something.  It's such a joke waiting outside for 15 minutes while a conductor scribbles seat assignments and everyone waits in line to board.  This inefficiency not only is an inconvenience to passengers, but it also causes delays.  Let's step into the 21st century people.  European model works much better. 

First and foremost, when getting on at an LD origination station like Chicago, sit where they tell you. In the case of the Lakeshore Ltd or the Empire Builder, as these trains split the next day, if you're in the wrong car, you'll end up several hundred miles from your destination. Their ticket scanner flashes your destination city so, for example, if you're in a New York car with a destination of BOS, he'll tell you to move to the Boston section up front.
An even more problematic example of this would be the eastbound Sunset/Eagle split. If you are ticketed on #422 to Chicago, make sure you stay in that rearmost coach, or you will end up in NOL; roughly 800 miles from your desired destination.

I have also seen quite a few passengers get pretty shocked to discover that their train splits. My favorite case of this was a lady in our sleeper on the LSL (going to New York) who asked our SCA, Miles, “When will we pass through Boston?” To which he explained that “This train doesn’t go through Boston, it splits in Albany”. So she responds “Wait, this train literally splits? How is that safe???”.

Just wow.

I don’t think Amtrak really cares enough about such things to do anything about it. I have written and complained for over a decade about this to no avail. I have hence ceased to bother. They can fill those seats without me anyway and I can get better accommodation elsewhere, so all is good for all parties concerned - in a manner of speaking. When even Claytor couldn’t fix it I very much doubt Anderson will even bother. Just my limited observations based conclusions mind you.
emoji57.png
I experienced the exact same problem under claytor on the Crescent.  The train arrived Washington 3 hours late because of a stuck drawbridge.  This was on the day in june1991 when the Bulls beat the pistons to advance to the championship.  I was in coach and the attendant assigned seats.  Knowing that the train was late and observing that the crew was stressed I accepted the assigned aisle seat. It was going to be dark soon and I was primarily interested in the daylight ride from Birmingham to Mobile.  

When the attendant came around later I asked if it would be possible to be moved to a a window seat once one opened up. I had noticed many seat checks showing pax getting off there.  She snarled ,”you stay there unless I tell you to move!”  Now I was mad. I walked back to get a coke in the snack car.  On the way I saw the conductor and expressed my displeasure at her rudeness. 

I was standing in line in the snack car and the coach attendant came hurrying up to me with a new seat check and said I could move at Charlottesville.  Apparently the conductor got after her pretty good.  

Thanks for the reality check Steve. While I wasn't around for the pre-amtrak era, I have chatted with those who were and they often comment how they don't remember the "glory days" being all that different from today's Amtrak. Lots of inconsistent service back then as well. 

Same thing for me when I rode VIA rail.. I think some people must put on rose colored glasses when they go north of the border because most of what I saw didn't make me think VIA was doing things much better than amtrak. Dining cars were classier, and of course the old Budd equipment great. But for the most part, still very mixed bag as far as the crew. 

An even more problematic example of this would be the eastbound Sunset/Eagle split. If you are ticketed on #422 to Chicago, make sure you stay in that rearmost coach, or you will end up in NOL; roughly 800 miles from your desired destination.
The original post mentioned seating issues on the Crescent which is not a train that splits so the concern about being in the wrong car when a train is split does not relate or answer the concerns raised in the original post.

This is a complicated PR situation too. If a person wants to move and they have an amenable Coach attendant, and it later becomes necessary to move some singles to keep boarding parties together, I have heard hear on UA single travelers feel like they get the short end of the stick because they are the ones being asked to move in favor of families or other parties. It does not sound like the OP is one of those people (OP—your request and attitude is quite reasonable), but how does the crew know they’ll have someone like the OP instead of someone who will feel entitled to their seat, split parties or families be darned?

The original post mentioned seating issues on the Crescent which is not a train that splits so the concern about being in the wrong car when a train is split does not relate or answer the concerns raised in the original post.
No one said that there was a concern here about being in the wrong car during a split. That was really just branch off of the original discussion that there are plenty of legit cases where they need to put passengers in specific cars or seats.

From what I recall from a number of trips prior to Amtrak and prior to VIA was that you boarded the coach and found an open seat.  When the conductor took your ticket he would set up a seat check which confirmed that your seat was where you had chosen to sit.  I never recall being assigned a seat upon boarding.  It seemed to work out pretty well.

My latest coach trips were an overnight trip a few years ago on the Sunset and a day trip on the Southwest Chief.  On the Sunset I was given a seat number on boarding which was fine as the train was crowded and there wasn't a great selection of seats anyway.  On the Southwest Chief my wife and I boarded and found two open seats side by side and that worked out well.  We were not given assigned seats on boarding. 

I assume the practice mentioned in the original post occurs more on some trains than others.  As a person who usually travels by sleeper I am often not aware of how things are done in the coaches.  It is disappointing to learn that some conductors and attendants are apparently quite inflexible about reasonable requests by passengers to change their assigned seats and I thank the original poster for raising this issue. 

I remember a trip in October of 1976 with my mom.  This was a trip from Champaign to Chicago to celebrate my 10th birthday.  We had tickets with a car number and seat numbers on it.  When we got on the train there was a lady and a child and peanut butter on the seats we were assigned.  We were quickly given other seats by the conductor in the same car. 

Min the summer of 1977 my father and I took a to week railpass.   Each leg we lined up early and dashed down the platform to get two seats together.  There were no assigned seats.  

Throughout the 1980s during dozens of solo trips it was survival of the fittest with dashes down platforms to get a window seat. I cheerfully thank my football coaches for the conditioning drills that allowed me to do this.  

I recall only once being asked to move.  I was in the 8th grade traveling solo to Boston to meet my Dad. I did my dash down the platform and claimed a window seat on the left side so I could view the “4 track mainline of the nyc “ which had by then been removed.  Two women in there 20s boarded significantly later and asked if I would mind moving so they could sit together.  I politely said no and explained my desire to look out the window.  They accepted my no and sat down.  They at first were unhappy but as the trip progressed they were amazed I looked out the window most of the next day.  

I ride the train mostly to get from Point A to Point B but with those points I accumulate, I take LD trains to see the scenery. I don't know why someone's need to sit right next to their friend or relative (unless it's a minor child) rather than across the aisle outweighs my right to look out the window and see America from a train because I'm alone.

Amtrak really needs to speed up the boarding process outside the NEC.  It should work exactly as it does on the NEC. 
Well, yes, it is faster on the NEC.

However, unless you are in business class, there's no guarantee you will get a seat if you are boarding at some midpoint station. Definitely not one by yourself, and often you have to get someone to take their feet, luggage, and 50 electronic devices off the seat next to them so you can sit down. And first you have to get their attention (not easy when they have plugs in their ears and have their eyes closed pretending to be asleep).

I like how the Carolinian does it (I like most things about the Carolinian--a well-run train that others could learn from). In coach, they have signs above some seats that say "Reserved for two sitting together" or "a group" or something similar. So you know immediately if you are alone to avoid those seats but that it's okay to sit in any other seat available.

But it used to split! Anyone else remember riding in the Gulf Breeze days? 

And maybe it'll split again if the Crescent Star ever comes to fruition! :huh:

(I mean it obviously won't in a million years, but maybe it will  :p )
Somewhere I've got a national timetable and a Amtrak Planning Magazine (remember those? ok... now I feel old) with the Crescent Star Advertised.  I actually think if that had started running it may have had a chance. Unlike the poor Kentucky Cardinal (wish I had gotten to ride it!) 

I ride the train mostly to get from Point A to Point B but with those points I accumulate, I take LD trains to see the scenery. I don't know why someone's need to sit right next to their friend or relative (unless it's a minor child) rather than across the aisle outweighs my right to look out the window and see America from a train because I'm alone.
When I am traveling alone, I usually have no problem moving to another seat in order to allow a family or others traveling together to be seated with each other.  It enhances their experience I assume and I usually find that it does not detract from mine.  I am usually in the lounge car anyway.

I still wish you could reserve a seat when making a business class reservation.  It's only one car so destination doesn't matter.  If you book early you get the benefit of more to choose from - if it's a last minute reservation (which I've also made) you get what's available, just like on the airline sites.

I still wish you could reserve a seat when making a business class reservation.  It's only one car so destination doesn't matter.  If you book early you get the benefit of more to choose from - if it's a last minute reservation (which I've also made) you get what's available, just like on the airline sites.
Would be a good idea.  Perhaps I have missed a discussion of this but I wonder how VIA handles this on its corridor trains.  Are you given a particular seat when you book?  Can you select your own seat when booking?   Thanks.

I remember a trip in October of 1976 with my mom.  This was a trip from Champaign to Chicago to celebrate my 10th birthday.  We had tickets with a car number and seat numbers on it.  When we got on the train there was a lady and a child and peanut butter on the seats we were assigned.  We were quickly given other seats by the conductor in the same car. 

Min the summer of 1977 my father and I took a to week railpass.   Each leg we lined up early and dashed down the platform to get two seats together.  There were no assigned seats.  

Throughout the 1980s during dozens of solo trips it was survival of the fittest with dashes down platforms to get a window seat. I cheerfully thank my football coaches for the conditioning drills that allowed me to do this.  

I recall only once being asked to move.  I was in the 8th grade traveling solo to Boston to meet my Dad. I did my dash down the platform and claimed a window seat on the left side so I could view the “4 track mainline of the nyc “ which had by then been removed.  Two women in there 20s boarded significantly later and asked if I would mind moving so they could sit together.  I politely said no and explained my desire to look out the window.  They accepted my no and sat down.  They at first were unhappy but as the trip progressed they were amazed I looked out the window most of the next day.  

My wife and I don’t often ride coach but when we go to Tampa we do. The last time we went, we were told we had to sit in seats 29 & 30. When we got to our sears we noted that there was no window in that row and no one in any of the other lower numbered seats in the car. We complained moderately about having to sit in a row without a window when the rest of the car was empty and the attendant relented and let us sit one row further back where there was a window! All’s well that ends well!
Back in 1988, my wife and I rode home coach from Chicago on the Capitol.  That's when it was single level with Amfleets.  We got assigned the lousiest seats at the end of the car with no window, and to add insult to injury the people sitting in front of us were a bunch of noisy, possibly drunk yahoos. We dealt with it by spending most of the night in the vistadome. Despite the fact that the seats didn't recline, it was actually pretty comfortable, as the seat padding was not the concrete-like material used in the Amfleets. :) It was quiet up th here, and it was kind of romantic sitting there together in the dark, seemingly floating through all those small towns in Ohio.

This is a complicated PR situation too. If a person wants to move and they have an amenable Coach attendant, and it later becomes necessary to move some singles to keep boarding parties together, I have heard hear on UA single travelers feel like they get the short end of the stick because they are the ones being asked to move in favor of families or other parties. It does not sound like the OP is one of those people (OP—your request and attitude is quite reasonable), but how does the crew know they’ll have someone like the OP instead of someone who will feel entitled to their seat, split parties or families be darned?
If I  were a single traveler on a plane, I  don't  think I'd be too happy to be forced to move into a center seat, especially if I had made some effort to secure my preferred aisle seat.  And I  think some airlines now charge extra for aisle or window seats.  In that case, I'd definitely resist someone trying to force me into a center seat without at least a cash refund.

Back