Seattle Connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking the Empire Builder arriving to Seattle on December 24.
Is a 4 hour layover enough time to make a Cascades leaving to Portland?
Secondly, how is the Red Line in Portland from Union Station to KPDX? I left three hours in between.
Does the Cascades usually run on time?

I realize that both the EB and Cascades can possibly run late. If people feel that I won't make my connection in Seattle, I may switch to the Portland Section to allow 8 hours for my connection to KPDX.

Last edited:
I'm taking the EB arriving to Seattle on December 24.
Is a 4 hour layover enough time to make a Cascades leaving to Portland?
Secondly, how is the Red Line in Portland from Union Station to KPDX? I left three hours in between.
Does the Cascades usually run on time?

I realize that both the EB and Cascades can possibly run late. If people feel that I won't make my connection in Seattle, I may switch to the Portland Section to allow 8 hours for my connection to KPDX.

The Red Line is generally very good on the run time from downtown. Shouldn't take more than 25 minutes worst case. If I were you I would grab the Red Line at Gateway Transit Center and take a Green Line train from Union Station. The Red Line stop at Old Town/Chinatown I am not a large fan of.

The Red Line is generally very good on the run time from downtown. Shouldn't take more than 25 minutes worst case. If I were you I would grab the Red Line at Gateway Transit Center and take a Green Line train from Union Station. The Red Line stop at Old Town/Chinatown I am not a large fan of.
Gateway TC can be bad at times as well. Lately, they seem to have Trimet security present at all times, but it can be a bit of a toss up.

I think the safest transfer option would be to catch the Green Line at Union Station (2 blocks south, a stop that can also be sketchy because it backs up to the abandoned bus station), and then transfer at the Convention Center or NE 7th stops. The Green and Red lines overlap for 6 stops, so you have a lot of options. NE 7th is probably the safest.

That said, to the OP, you shouldn't have any issues riding MAX. I've lived here 30+ years and can count my bad encounters on one hand. Allow about 45 minutes from Union Station to PDX to account for walking and transfer time. PDX security is usually pretty quick, but the airport is under construction right now and I've heard of longer wait times. 60 minutes for carry-on, 90 minutes for checked bag.

The MAX is fine from Union to PDX. I would not worry about it. I rode it a bunch earlier this summer. Sure you'll have some characters but that's city living.

Back