Seattle Hotel Thoughts?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelG

Train Attendant
Hi, All!

We're planning a CS trip (LAX-SEA) to see the folks-in-law next month but first need a decent place to crash upon the evening arrival of #14. I know the topic of nearby hotels has been covered before, but would appreciate any "fresh" recommendations, especially given that we only need a one-night stay before renting a car the next day and heading up north from the City. Walking distance or a short cab ride is fine.

Thanks!

Hi, All!

We're planning a CS trip (LAX-SEA) to see the folks-in-law next month but first need a decent place to crash upon the evening arrival of #14. I know the topic of nearby hotels has been covered before, but would appreciate any "fresh" recommendations, especially given that we only need a one-night stay before renting a car the next day and heading up north from the City. Walking distance or a short cab ride is fine.

Thanks!
There are a myriad of hotels within a 5 minute cab ride of King Street Station. What is your budget & ammeneties needs?

The Seattle hotel scene hasn't changed very much since this thread, but there are a couple of new hotels in the past few years:

Doubletree Arctic Club

Hotel 1000

Hotel Max

W Hotel

Stadium Silver Cloud

They're all high-end (expensive) and since I live here, I haven't stayed in any of them. The Pioneer Square Courtyard Marriott is probably still the closest hotel to King Street Station, although the Silver Cloud is close, too. I tend to forget about the Silver Cloud, since it's away from downtown, and not close to much of anything except the stadiums (and the Pyramid Brewery, if you're interested). Let us know where you decide to stay, and how you like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hotwire in the Pike Place area seems to have no whammies in the 4 star range. Random weeknight in February shows a mystery 4 star at $82+fees which is comparable with the known quantity of the Holiday Inn Express City Center at $88+ which is neither 4 star nor desirable. For a single night clean crash pad I would go this route.

I have been to Seattle 3 times in the last 2 years and stayed in 3 different hotels - all fairly close to the King Street Station. The Courtyard at Pioneer Square was walking distance (for me) and I paid a reasonable priced.

I live in Seattle, so haven't stayed in any of our hotels.

In the thread CHamilton linked to, someone mentioned the Warwick, and said it had a free shuttle. A free shuttle would be nice; I don't see it mentioned on the web site, but you can call and ask. I live a few blocks away from the Warwick and walk past it all the time and it seems like a nice place. I often notice airline crews checking in, so it can't be horrible. If you feel like a quick bite when you arrive, Ralph's Grocery and Deli is directly across the street and is open until 2 a.m., and the Dahlia Bakery is down the block for scones and what-not in the morning. I hear the Warwick is being renovated; if you book there, ask for a room away from the renovation, and high up -- you will get a city skyline view on one side or an unobstructed Space Needle view on the other.

I always recommend the Mayflower Park. It's a nice older place, right downtown, and contains Oliver's, a really nice bar which is -- a little trivia here -- the first bar in the State of Washington to have windows (until the law changed back in the 1970s, passersby had to be shielded from the sight of people drinking). I can vouch for the bar; they serve an honest drink there.

The Warwick and the Mayflower Park are about two blocks apart on 4th Avenue, and the downtown Avis location is on 5th Avenue halfway between them. Which would be worth considering, if you are renting from Avis.

A friend of mine, a frequent business traveler, recently stayed at the Hotel Andra (the old Claremont Hotel, renovated and renamed) and he liked it a lot. It is on 4th Avenue between the Warwick and the Mayflower Park. It's not inexpensive.

It is worth noting that the Kimpton chain of hotels offers 15 percent off the best rate when you show your Amtrak ticket. The Kimpton hotels in Seattle are the Vintage Park, the Alexis, and the Monaco. I have eaten in the restaurant at the Vintage Park (good, but probably closed by the time you get there), had drinks in the bar at the Alexis (good), and often walk past the Monaco but have never been in it.

In the thread CHamilton linked to, someone mentioned the Warwick, and said it had a free shuttle. A free shuttle would be nice; I don't see it mentioned on the web site, but you can call and ask. I live a few blocks away from the Warwick and walk past it all the time and it seems like a nice place. I often notice airline crews checking in, so it can't be horrible. If you feel like a quick bite when you arrive, Ralph's Grocery and Deli is directly across the street and is open until 2 a.m., and the Dahlia Bakery is down the block for scones and what-not in the morning. I hear the Warwick is being renovated; if you book there, ask for a room away from the renovation, and high up -- you will get a city skyline view on one side or an unobstructed Space Needle view on the other.

I always recommend the Mayflower Park. It's a nice older place, right downtown, and contains Oliver's, a really nice bar which is -- a little trivia here -- the first bar in the State of Washington to have windows (until the law changed back in the 1970s, passersby had to be shielded from the sight of people drinking). I can vouch for the bar; they serve an honest drink there.

The Warwick and the Mayflower Park are about two blocks apart on 4th Avenue, and the downtown Avis location is on 5th Avenue halfway between them. Which would be worth considering, if you are renting from Avis.

A friend of mine, a frequent business traveler, recently stayed at the Hotel Andra (the old Claremont Hotel, renovated and renamed) and he liked it a lot. It is on 4th Avenue between the Warwick and the Mayflower Park. It's not inexpensive.

It is worth noting that the Kimpton chain of hotels offers 15 percent off the best rate when you show your Amtrak ticket. The Kimpton hotels in Seattle are the Vintage Park, the Alexis, and the Monaco. I have eaten in the restaurant at the Vintage Park (good, but probably closed by the time you get there), had drinks in the bar at the Alexis (good), and often walk past the Monaco but have never been in it.
I am also a Seattleite, and a fan of Kimpton properties. I'd say they Vintage Park is a good choice. The Warwick & Mayflower Park are good places as well, but a little farther into the retail core of downtown than the Vintage Park. As mentioned in another post, the $88 a night for the Holiday Inn express is one of the cheapest rates in the area. Its not a BAD hotel, just a typical HIX. One note about this one though, is it is also the crew hotel for AMTRAK, so the crew bringing you in on 14 will be off to that hotel. If large chain properties are more your style, there are the Westin, Sheraton, Hyatt & Hilton all a 5 minute cab ride away.

I've stayed in Seattle several times, while passing thru by Amtrak. The Warwick is very nice but also pricy, the Travel Lodge by (2 blocks) the Space Neddle is decsent, inexpensive, & a less than $10 cab ride from King St Station! Plus it's a Wyndam Hotel, where you can get Amtrak pts.!!!!

RF

I am also a Seattleite, and a fan of Kimpton properties. I'd say they Vintage Park is a good choice. The Warwick & Mayflower Park are good places as well, but a little farther into the retail core of downtown than the Vintage Park. As mentioned in another post, the $88 a night for the Holiday Inn express is one of the cheapest rates in the area. Its not a BAD hotel, just a typical HIX. One note about this one though, is it is also the crew hotel for AMTRAK, so the crew bringing you in on 14 will be off to that hotel. If large chain properties are more your style, there are the Westin, Sheraton, Hyatt & Hilton all a 5 minute cab ride away.
I stay at the Sheraton about 10 times per year. Cab ride is usually $7. Can be price if a big convention is in town. Can be very affordable if not. Prepaid or AAA rates are often the best option. www.spg.com

I stayed at the Edgewater NYE weekend. Great view and food. They have a free downtown shuttle that took me back to the station. Moderate to expensive. http://www.edgewaterhotel.com/

Hotwire in the Pike Place area seems to have no whammies in the 4 star range. Random weeknight in February shows a mystery 4 star at $82+fees which is comparable with the known quantity of the Holiday Inn Express City Center at $88+ which is neither 4 star nor desirable. For a single night clean crash pad I would go this route.
Pike Place Hotwire 4 Stars that I have been awarded to date are the Westin, Sheraton, Vintage Park, and Hyatt Grand. Use sparingly however as you give up your stay points.

Thanks, All, for your thoughtful, detailed responses. With your guidance, I can now select an overnight abode that will please the Missus & (fussy) teenage Daughter.

All Aboard!

i always advocate the Doubletree Arctic Club. it's close to the station, they give you warm cookies when you check in, and will drive you to the station for free the next day if you don't feel like walking. it's close to fun stuff in pioneer square if you have time for a little sightseeing. and frankly, how can you pass up a hotel with walruses all over the place? :)

We stayed at the Westin on our train trip to Seattle. It was a nice hotel and got it cheap through Priceline.

i always advocate the Doubletree Arctic Club. it's close to the station, they give you warm cookies when you check in, and will drive you to the station for free the next day if you don't feel like walking. it's close to fun stuff in pioneer square if you have time for a little sightseeing. and frankly, how can you pass up a hotel with walruses all over the place? :)
If you go to Priceline, they are having a sale right now at the Artic Club Doubletree. I think you can get a room for just over $100 but it's non refundable. I just booked a room there for a CS trip I have scheduled in Feb.

I just went on priceline and did a name your own price for Seattle on Feb 28. I selected 4 star in the downtown pike place area and it gave me the Sheraton for my price which was $90

If you go to the Sheraton website and try to book directly, the same room is $199

It looks to be within walking distance, or you can take the light rail to get a bit closer. I like walking, especially after a long train ride.

I just went on priceline and did a name your own price for Seattle on Feb 28. I selected 4 star in the downtown pike place area and it gave me the Sheraton for my price which was $90

If you go to the Sheraton website and try to book directly, the same room is $199

It looks to be within walking distance, or you can take the light rail to get a bit closer. I like walking, especially after a long train ride.
Thats a good deal on the Sheraton. You will probably want to take a cab and not walk from King Street, as it is about a mile away and all uphill. If you are pulling luggage that can be difficult. I would opt for the cab vs the light rail just because it will deposit you at the door. The hotel is a 3 block walk from the nearest light rail station.

Hotel searchers everywhere might find the Hipmunk.com hotel search useful. It maps the hotels, color-codes them by price, and can overlay the map with "heat maps" of shopping areas and dining areas and nightlife areas and stuff like that. They also have a table of the hotels with four different ways to rank them. It uses the Tripadvisor.com hotel reviews.

I also like Oyster.com for searching for hotels, because the same person reviews all the hotels in a given area, so they can knowledgeably compare hotels. They also photograph the heck out of the hotels, hundreds of real-life, non-staged photographs of each hotel. Unfortunately, they have only inspected a limited number of hotels in Seattle, but they have inspected several of the hotels that have been mentioned in this thread. (Note, the first and last entries in Oyster's list of hotels are actually Expedia ads, not Oyster reviews; don't be fooled.)

Unless you are very athletic and don't have much luggage, I would not try to walk to the Sheraton from King Street Station. It is a $7 cab ride before tip. The hotel has a decent restaurant (The Daily Grill), a spacious lobby lounge, and a cluster of computer workstations (plus one printer)in the lobby that is free to hotel guests. The Cheesecake Factory is across the street out the side door. Lots of shopping and other eating venues within a block or two. $90 is a superb price. The best I have ever done on the SPG/Sheraton site is a $125 per night, and that was off-peak, and pre-paid/non-refundable. Even with a $7 cab fare added in, you can get a lot less at other hotels for more money than $97 per night in downtown Seattle. Great get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back