Seattle King Street Station Grand Reopening Photos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:hi: :cool: Thanks for Posting Charlie, I look forward to seeing King Street when I am next in SEA, my experiences in King Street are all from when it was a Dump or else the Temporary Waiting Room while the Renovations were being done to this Jewel!

I also noticed that they Old Style Wooden Benches are being used instead of the Vinyl Airport Type Seats which is Wonderful! Any word yet on a Metro Lounge????

I also noticed that they Old Style Wooden Benches are being used instead of the Vinyl Airport Type Seats which is Wonderful! Any word yet on a Metro Lounge????
There are some benches and some new seats. They seem to be okay; we'll see how they hold up.

As for a Metropolitan Lounge, the city said that that decision would be up to Amtrak. Amtrak has said that they'll pursue it now that the renovation is complete. Personally, I think that the second floor balcony would make a great Met Lounge. But we'll see,

I was there and the new seats were the one "off" note. You go to all the time and trouble to restore the old plaster and brass and marble and then you install new aluminum and plastic airport-style seats. They were not uncomfortable, and in a modern station would be fine, but in a restored old-timey station they are way out of place. (As are the industrial-design platform roofs that were installed when Sound Transit started running Sounder trains, but that is another story.)

The wooden benches were there before the remodel began. If I remember correctly they were Union Station benches that were relocated to King Street Station. The old King Street Station benches and chairs that one sees in the old photos were beautiful, but recreating them would be expensive, I reckon.

very nice pics. almost like being there. charlie, have they fixed the tower clock and the lighted peak of the tower? they worked fine a couple years ago but not since.
It's my understanding that the clock is working, but it was stopped while they were doing the seismic retrofit. As of this morning, it looks like it has not yet been restarted.

Amtrak Cascades on Facebook says:

The clock in the tower will soon be working again

Last edited by a moderator:
nice photos. thanks Charlie. I cannot wait to see the station in person.

Very nice, Charlie!

Curious. Are there plans to put frosted white globes on those wall sconces which currently sport naked light bulbs? I would presume so, to match the other wall sconces such as those in the Compass Room, but for certain reasons they were unable to get them in time for the opening.

Very nice, Charlie!
Curious. Are there plans to put frosted white globes on those wall sconces which currently sport naked light bulbs? I would presume so, to match the other wall sconces such as those in the Compass Room, but for certain reasons they were unable to get them in time for the opening.
I know that the city did a lot of work to clean and/or reproduce the original fixtures. They're mentioned in the sign below (PDF version) but I don't know the details.

165399_10200305320530501_1005056724_n.jpg

I was there and the new seats were the one "off" note. You go to all the time and trouble to restore the old plaster and brass and marble and then you install new aluminum and plastic airport-style seats. They were not uncomfortable, and in a modern station would be fine, but in a restored old-timey station they are way out of place. (As are the industrial-design platform roofs that were installed when Sound Transit started running Sounder trains, but that is another story.)
The wooden benches were there before the remodel began. If I remember correctly they were Union Station benches that were relocated to King Street Station. The old King Street Station benches and chairs that one sees in the old photos were beautiful, but recreating them would be expensive, I reckon.
I agree more wooden benches would be better. I think they would hold up better too. Perhaps in a later phase.

However, the new platforms and canopies are infinitely better than what was there originally or the 1960's replacement. Simply better designed, better looking , better lighting. I am all in favor of restoration but there are times when it does not make sense.

The newly restored waiting room is great. I just hope that Amtrak will be respectful with signage and an appropriate electronic information board.

Thank you Charlie. I wanted to get down there for the ceremony today but alas I couldnt get away from work. Great pictures BTW (though I could do without the ones of Mayor Mc Schwinn.

A vast improvement by turning back the clock. Of course King Street Station is far from the only grand old building to suffer the architectural atrocities of an era bent on "modernization." One can't expect universal restoration, but it's great to see such a shining example of the possibilities. Thanks for the pics!

More coverage and pictures (all today, 4/24, except as noted).

At the reopening ceremony, I told someone that the reason I wanted to be there was to see the waiting room before it had been defiled by mankind. So yesterday afternoon I walked down to the station to see what the waiting room would look like after three days of occupation by Amtrak. I was there at last boarding call for train 509, about 5:30. Here are some photos I took with my phone.

As you can see, they dragged some of the old vinyl seats back in, so now there are three different seating styles in use. I wish they would pick one and stick with it, to cut down on the rummage sale effect. I see the vending machines are back in their old places, at the lower left in this photo.

8689871023_b0415bd22e_c.jpg

The kiosks for checking in for the Cascades are in place. There are temporary door number signs on stands -- at least I hope they are temporary. They were boarding 509 through door 5, at the center of the photo. The sign for the Empire Builder, which would have left about 50 minutes earlier, is sitting on the floor by door 4, to the left of door 5. I assume permanent signage will be up on the walls soon. Announcements on the public address system were a little hard to decipher up in the mezzanine where these pictures were taken, probably due to a combination of echoes and the fact that the speakers are below the mezzanine and pointed downward.

8690990520_7873bdea40_c.jpg

The nice new doors at the southwest corner will probably never get used, not for boarding trains anyway, as construction south of the station means there will not be tracks there again. These would be doors 7 and 8 if anyone bothered to number them.

8690990040_52ce761474_c.jpg

One feature you can just make out is the actuators on the upper windows that allow them to be remotely opened and closed to help control the temperature inside the building. They were ever-so-slightly open when I was there.

Somebody said the waiting room looks like the inside of a wedding cake but I'd say it looks like a wedding cake turned inside out; all the shiny white plaster ornamentation does remind you of the decorative icing on a wedding cake.

For anyone interested I have a few more photos on my Flickr page.

Thanks for the pics! I believe that Amtrak, not the city, is responsible for the interior furnishings. It will be interesting to see how much the furniture and signage gets changed as time goes on. The station staff worked pretty hard during the renovation to improve how the traffic flowed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see things get rearranged as they figure out how best to manage the crowds.

I toured the California State Capitol building during the 1980s restoration. The cake like plaster ornaments are created using tools that look about the same as cake decorating bags and tips, no wonder they remind you of a wedding cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back