Seattle question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there have been a lot of improvements to King St station recently. We will be taking the EB later this week and have a couple questions.

Is there baggage storage for a couple hours. Or, even better, is there recap service who can keep our bags and get us early boarding? Also, any nearby food options, like a brewpub, where we could get a late lunch? And, leaving Seattle, if my memory is correct, the best viewing is on the left side of Puget sound. After that does it make any difference for the trip through the Cascade mtns?

We have lots of members that live in Seattle and also those who have been @ King Street Station since I have ( last October), but you can day check your luggage @ the bag room for the Standard Amtrak charge of $4 per bag ( lots of agents wave this for those in Sleepers).

There are great eating joints in the Pike Public Market, especially the Sea Food. The International District is across the tracks behind Union Station, and there are good Asian places close by.

You are correct that the left side has the best views of Puget Sound, but keep in mind that the Sightseer Lounge is on the Portland Section, so the Diner or your room are the two choices for sightseeing till you get for Spokane in the wee hours.( if the Coaches aren't full you can probably sit there till it gets dark. ( before the Cascades Tunnel)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do, don't wait until you get to the station to look for food. The only thing there is a sad-sack vending machine. And since the SEA leg of the Builder doesn't have a cafe car, your first chance at some grub would be once the diner opens, probably past Everett.

Each time I have had an "even" number roomette that was on the Sound side of the train. I know that this is no guarantee, just my observation. Also all of Bedroom A-E had the same view as their windows are on the even side..

Seattle has a lot of good food options within 5 minute walking from the station. Even more ambitious would be a 30 minute walk (give or take) or a $5 Uber ride over to Pikes Place Market. Lots of really good local food and the Hom Bows at the Chinese restaurant next to the first Starbucks is worth the visit. As far as station services, check out- https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=SEAit says they do baggage storage and such, also wouldn't hurt to call the station and get a direct answer. Safe travels!

We had planned to drop our bags and get a late sandwich. But the not so friendly baggage agent said $4 for each of our two small suitcases and a backpack. We said no thank you, My wife stayed with the luggage and I got us an outstanding sandwich from Grand Central Bakery. Uber didn't work for us as estated $14 for short ride from Avis to the station.. A taxi happened to show up and cost less than $8. Über affected by the President's fundraiser putting downtown in gridlock. Beautiful, if rainy, ride thru the Cascades and Glacier. BNSF storm related problems has us down 2 hrs in western ND. Should still make CONO connection but will skip the good dinner we hoped for in Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had planned to drop our bags and get a late sandwich. But the not so friendly baggage agent said $4 for each of our small suitcases. We said no thank you, my wife stayed with luggage and I us an outstanding sandwich from Grand Central Bakery. Uber didn't work as estated $14 for short ride from Avis to the station.. A taxi happened to show up and cost less than $8. Über affected by the President putting downtown in gridlock. Beautiful, if rainy, ride thru the Cascades and Glacier. BNSF storm related problems has us down 2 hrs in western ND. Should still make CONO connection but no good dinner we hoped for in Chicago.
We used Enterprise Car Rental when we visited Seattle. They pick you up and drop you off. No cab cost but we just tip the driver. The closest restaurants in Seattle are indeed in the International (Asian) district close to the station. As for CUS; back in the day they had a large Harvey House restaurant there and IMO one is needed there again. Presently there is just a food court with fast food but Lou Mitchell's, a nice diner on Jackson street is only a block away from the station. Its not gourmet but better than what you will find at the food court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back