Seattle, WA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seattle Transit Blog's Seattle for Visitors explains how to ride transit in Seattle.
Thanks. Good site for visitors. DO buy the ORCA if you will be in Seattle more than a day or two. On my recent visit bought the (senior citizens) card at the Westlake tunnel station. For $3 (senior discount from the $5 for the card plus put $30 on it, lost a lot of hassle and saved a bunch of cash. The $23 left on the ORCA will serve me well the next time I visit.
Ditto that about the ORCA card. It wasa godsend for me during the Gathering in 2011, and I know will come in very handy again when I visit Seattle starting 3 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours, and 27 minutes from now (not that I'm counting down the time or anything). :lol:

That's if the Cascades from Portland is on time. :)

Seattle Transit Blog's Seattle for Visitors explains how to ride transit in Seattle.
Thanks. Good site for visitors. DO buy the ORCA if you will be in Seattle more than a day or two. On my recent visit bought the (senior citizens) card at the Westlake tunnel station. For $3 (senior discount from the $5 for the card plus put $30 on it, lost a lot of hassle and saved a bunch of cash. The $23 left on the ORCA will serve me well the next time I visit.
Ditto that about the ORCA card. It wasa godsend for me during the Gathering in 2011, and I know will come in very handy again when I visit Seattle starting 3 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours, and 27 minutes from now (not that I'm counting down the time or anything). :lol:

But who cares if the Trains are Late right Jeff? :) :) :)

Don't ruin the city too badly, I am there two weeks after you. I arrive on July 10th, but staying over in Ploulsbo but will be back in Seattle on the 11th for the Mariners/Red Sox game then taking the EB back to CHI on the 12th.

But who cares if the Trains are Late right Jeff? :) :) :)
I don't care, so long as I don't miss my connections!

Don't ruin the city too badly, I am there two weeks after you. I arrive on July 10th, but staying over in Ploulsbo but will be back in Seattle on the 11th for the Mariners/Red Sox game then taking the EB back to CHI on the 12th.
Don't worry, June, I'm not the tear-up-the-town kind of guy! :lol: I have to leave something for someone else. Besides, I might want to come back! Part of my trip includes a Mariner game, too, on the 30th of June. The Marginals play the Flubs, er, Cubs on that day. I picked that game so that I could witness one lousy team win a game! :lol:

We might be in Seattle in mid November for a National League of Cities convention. Are the same things to do available in November also? (Except seasonal soport, of course)

Saw the pictures of the seafood and are already making plans to go there every three months and get seafood. Son started salivating while looking and it's gonna be 5 years before we are there. :(

In November - no special events like Folklife or Bumbershoot - last May - of the overpriced places on the Eliot Bay waterfront - Anthony's had an OK happy hour for oysters - get there early and only a dollar or so per -- but the price goes up every hour.

Best breakfast was somewhere near the Ballard bridge - depart the D bus at the south end of bridge and walk west through some industrial and fishing area - not easy to find the way pedestrian unfriendly - but place down by the waterfront there has a real good eggs "Benedict" but with crab. Fishing wharf? something like -- wish I knew the name.

In November - no special events like Folklife or Bumbershoot - last May - of the overpriced places on the Eliot Bay waterfront - Anthony's had an OK happy hour for oysters - get there early and only a dollar or so per -- but the price goes up every hour.
Best breakfast was somewhere near the Ballard bridge - depart the D bus at the south end of bridge and walk west through some industrial and fishing area - not easy to find the way pedestrian unfriendly - but place down by the waterfront there has a real good eggs "Benedict" but with crab. Fishing wharf? something like -- wish I knew the name.
Would that restaurant be Chinooks?

I was taken to that very restaurant, it is right next to Chinooks, not sure what the name of it is, but if you are standing in front of Chinooks, it is right off to the right, but further back toward the pier. My friend had the Crab benedict and I had a taste, wonderful. Also they will make your omlet anyway you want, not just how they have them on the menu, just ask.

Great find Charlie, thanks for posting! And it was good to see King Street Station included and a little of the light rail!

What's the latest on getting the Streetcar going again along the waterfront?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

The official "preferred alternative" is to create a (modern) streetcar with a dedicated ROW on First Avenue, not on the waterfront.

Some people would like to see the heritage cars used on the First Avenue line. But personally, I think a waterfront without a streetcar is a huge mistake. It will be an inhospitable place to those of us with no cars and limited mobility, and will be a barrier for tourists and locals alike. Yes, there will be some new connections to downtown, but there will be no easy way for people to move along the waterfront itself other than on foot or by bike.

As a result, I foresee a significant and permanent drop in business for waterfront businesses. People who want to go from, say, the Aquarium to the Wheel are not going to climb up to First, catch a streetcar, then go back down again.

The mayor has just nominated Scott Kubly to be the new head of the Seattle Department of Transportation, and Councilmember Tom Rasmussen is soliciting comments as to what Kubly's priorities should be. I would encourage anyone who is interested in the Waterfront Streetcar to submit your opinion to Rasmussen.

Did we mention Pacific Science Center?. If you catch a special exhibit they can be educational and fun.

A side trip to Mt Rainier National Park about 2 hour drive SE is very nice. Beautiful scenery, great nature trails, views, waterfalls and a nice lodge to stay at right inside the park.

The Woodland Park Zoo is a world class zoo and its huge.

At the waterfront you can take a ferry ride to Bainbridge or a harbor tour

As for restaurants we found a few gems. Elliott's on the Seattle waterfront ( thanks Charlie), the Purple Café on 3rd were both outstanding. Tillicum place café a small neighborhood place near Seattle Center was very good. For a fast inexpensive self serve seafood lunch; Ivar's on the waterfront is great substitute for ordinary burgers/fries fast food.

....and you'll arrive at the beautifully restored King Street Station!

There is so much to see and do in Seattle that it would take a few trips to see it all. .

As mentioned in another thread: If you're looking for a hot sit-down breakfast near King Street Station, "McCoy's Firehouse Bar & Grill" is just three blocks north. They open for breakfast at 8:00 a.m. Mon.-Fri., and 9 a.m. on Saturdays & Sundays. Good breakfast menu with a lot of hearty choices. The kitchen is open until 10 p.m. for lunch and dinner as well. Two thumbs up—mine and my Dad's. We'd definitely eat there again.

Back