Secure storage in LAX?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time I was there in 2017 you just left your luggage near the check in desk right when you enter. There is no closet like in Chicago or DC.

In December 2018, when I was last there, I stored my luggage in the conference room.

Last month, an attendant opened the conference room for me to store luggage there, and shut the door when I exited. There were some bags already in the conference room when I dropped mine. I don't know if the door was locked, either before I arrived or after I dropped my luggage. When I went to retrieve my luggage, the conference room door was open. I don't know how long it had been open, and I got my luggage with no interaction with any attendant.

On earlier trips, many bags were lined up next to the wall between the door and the attendants' desk, and I left some bags there. I have not heard of anything going missing and I have not noticed anything of mine going missing. Nonetheless, I would not characterize the storage of bags in the lounge as secure, and I am not aware of any bag storage that I would characterize as secure at any Amtrak station short of checking the bag(s) with the checked luggage staff (and I would call that "more secure" rather than "secure").

My recollection from two years ago is that the conference room at the lounge at LAX which is used to store luggage is not locked. It operates on the honor system just like lounges in Chicago, NY and DC.

My recollection from two years ago is that the conference room at the lounge at LAX which is used to store luggage is not locked. It operates on the honor system just like lounges in Chicago, NY and DC.

When we were there in September, it was locked when we arrived around noon, and re-locked when we stored our bags there. When we returned that evening, the room was unlocked and remained so until we boarded.

Back