Security on Amtrak: Tips and Observations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew H Fish

Lead Service Attendant
Recently, there were two posts in this forum about incidents of theft on Amtrak, both posts of which raised a little bit of skepticism, due to lack of details and lack of coherence.

But security on Amtrak is an issue. I worry about safety (getting hurt by things) more than security (getting hurt by people), but I do worry about security.

I would say in general, trains are pretty safe places, just because someone who commits a crime on one is stuck without having a way to escape. Stealing or starting a fight is a bad idea if you get handed over to the Havre Police department in the dead of winter. There are also a lot of eyes on an Amtrak train, so would-be thieves don't have a lot of chance to dig through luggage.

In general, on Amtrak, I leave my bags with my clothing and other personal items in my seat when I go to the bathroom or the cafe car. After all, I don't think someone is going to steal my old t-shirts, toothbrush, granola bars, or old paper back out of my backpack. I usually keep my electronics, important documents/ID, and anything else important in a shoulder bag that I take with me.

I have never seen fighting on Amtrak, although I have seen some frayed tempers: being in a moving box with strangers for a day or longer can make some people irritable. I have probably witnessed the conductors sushing people who were being loud. (And a few days ago, on the Coast Starlight, the conductors had to separate a couple who had been assigned seats next to each other and ended up getting along...a bit too well). I have also noticed a few people who were very obviously smoking in the bathrooms, or vaping in the aisles, and the conductor having to warn the entire train not to do that.

With Amtrak, I would have to say that my biggest security concern, is in boarding and deboarding. Amtrak stations are often crowded places, and when I have gotten off a train after a long trip, maybe without too much sleep, and I am walking into a crowded train station holding my bags, I usually feel pretty vulnerable. Nothing bad has happened, but it is the time my hackles get up.

So that is my experiences with security on Amtrak. What has your experience been?

I don't have any specific experience to report yet. We're taking our first long distance trip in April - New York to Chicago.

I will say, every one of your points makes perfect sense to me. My husband is a retired police officer and I know he'd agree with your post as well.

I think that what you say about the boarding and deboarding is spot on. I can't speak to the train station in Chicago, but I have been to Penn Station (and the surrounding area) in New York and I'm always a little bit nervous. I'm definitely more of a country mouse than a city mouse. Or at least I'm a suburban mouse!

I'm looking forward to traveling in our roomette and not spending time over worrying about our personal safety while onboard. My husband is always pretty wise about taking logical and reasonable security measures. One of the upsides to being married to someone in law enforcement. :)

I've never felt unsafe on the train though I don't ride in coach so no incidents for me to report. Chicago is a very busy
station but having traveled thru there for 30 years I know my way around and am comfortable moving about both inside and outside of the station. Lots of commuters in a hurry and plenty of security roaming about.

Im sure its comforting to be married to someone in law enforcement.

Back