Seeing Cascade Peaks from Amtrak Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Relei

See some of the more famous mountains of the Cascades from Amtrak trains can be both rewarding and a little tricky. Weather and time-of-day are important factors.

On the Coast Starlight, going north, you can usually see Mount Shasta(14,161 Feet)--a volcano most recently active 1914-17--as the train departs Dunsmuir (officially at 5:07 am)--if there is enough light. During the summertime there is little trouble, and often the train is a little late, which can help. The train actually climbs along the flanks of Mount Shasta, climbing higher and higher in elevation, often the sun is coming up and the gradual change in light on and around the mountain is interesting to watch and is always memorable to me. You will usually be able to see Shasta as far as the Oregon border.

Southbound, it is usually about midnight when the train passes, so don't count on seeing it then. However, I do have memories of seeing the snow-capped mountain at night in the full moon light.

I haven't yet been able to see the mountain which contains Crater Lake nor have I seen Mount Bachelor from the train. However, the ride through the Oregon Cascades at Willamette Pass is one of the most spectacular rides in the world. The train descends from over 4,000 feet above sea level down into the Willamette Valley. This is often called "The Hill." The train is often of narrow shelves clinging to the mountainsides; passengers can look down below and see the drop, throught tunnels, across bridges, past waterfalls. You can look down and see the track where you are about to go. The train (going east to west) loops back (now west to east) and then back again (going east to west again--the trains are officially north and southbound, but these are the actual compass headings ath the time the trains are traversing this section of track). Sometimes there is a snowstorm at the top of

the pass, allowing for picture postcard Christmas scenes; but by the time the train gets down to the valley, it is just raining.

Southbound, the trip is also exciting going up the hill. However, you have to do it the right time of year. Most of the Winter Season it is dark during the traverse; but during Spring, Summer, and earl Fall hours, there is still plenty of daylight.

Mount Hood (11,235 feet) can be seen from around Salem--on the right side of the train looking toward the northeast. But, you can't really see it as the train passes through Portland--too many bluffs, buildings, etc. you can see it for a few seconds as the train crosses the COlumbia River into Washington. Again, this is all assuming the weather iscooperating.

Mount St. Helens (9,677 feet before the eruption and 8,363 feet after)is very difficult to see from the train. The right side of the train--towards the mountain--it is primarily bluffs, overhangs, trees, and mountains in the way. About the closest the train gets to it (as the crow flies) is probably at Kelso. The train passes through Castle Rock. On Interstate 5, this is where motorists turn off from the freeway to go to the mountain. You can see the sign for the turn off from the train. You will be traveling along the Cowlitz River and cross it and the Toutle River; you can still see the mounds of white ash that now form the embankments along the rivers. Coming into Kelso, you will see the Three Rivers Golf Course that was made from the ash from Mount St, Helens. Four a couple of seconds just before the train passes through Chehalis (a few minutes from Centralia) you may get a look at Saint Helens in the distance. Trees are usually in the way to get a more longlasting view.

About now, you should be able to see Mount Rainer (14,410 feet--highest point in Washington State and a volcano also). You will be able to see it until about the next stop at Lacey (Olympia). You will also see it as the train enters Tacoma and afterwards as the train passes through the Puyallup Valley.

North of Lacey, you will travel along the Puget Sound for about 30 miles into Tacoma. You should be able to look across the Sound to the Olympic Mountains and possibly see the highest peak there--Mount Olympus (just under 8,000 feet--named after the famous mountain in Greece).

Between Seattle and Portland, besides the Coast Starlight, you can see these mountains and other attractions from three other trains, depending on direction, time of day, and weather conditions. Check timetables.

On the Empire Builder and Pacific International to Everett, you will again travel along the Puget Sound and get some spectacular views of the Olympic Mountains. On the Builder, going east, you will soon be coming to and crossing over the Cascade Mountains, passing through the Cascade Tunnel, which at almost 8 miles, is the longest in the United States.

On the Pacific International to Vancouver, BC, you should be able to see Mount Baker(10,781 ft., the highest point of the North Cascades, also a glaciated dormant volcano.) on the right hand side of the train after leaving the tunnel underneath downtown Everett and through the valleys, passing through Burlington, and onwards. You may see it again as the train passes through Bellingham (the mountain serves as a backdrop in many photos of the city) onto Blaine and across the US/Canada border. Another highlight of this part of the trip it that the train is primarily along the water again and is quite pretty. Interestingly enough, you will probably see more bald eagles on the Canadian side of the border than on the US side. If you are traveling south, make sure you look in the opposite direction from what I have explained above. Also southbound, the train leaves Vancouver at about 6pm, so it may be dark certain times of the year. However, there is a additional morning train and an evening train between Bellingham and Seattle that might help with sightseeing possibilities.

Just to add to Steve's fantastic description on how to see the Cascade peaks:

The Portland section of the Empire Builder is probably the best way to see Mount Hood from a train. If the weather is cooperating and the sun is out, you can see Mt. Hood through some of the Columbia River gorge. During the summer, you should be able to see it in both directions from about 30 minutes out of Vancouver, WA, to somewhere near Wishram, WA. During the winter, however, you can only see it in the morning heading westbound, assuming that the sky is clear and there's no fog.

Of course, the Columbia River Gorge is worth seeing by itself, even if you can't see Mt. Hood.

I made a slight error: it was nearby Lassen Peak, not Mount Shasta, that experienced volcanic activity in the years 1914-17.

Also, interestingly enough, Mount Rainier and Mount Baker are also being monitored for possible volcanic activity. Mount Rainier is said to be the most likely to be next. What makes Rainier so dangerous is that a full-scale eruption is not necessary for catastrophic events--landslides and melting glacial ice and snow could trigger flooding to downstream communities, such as the Puyallup Valley, through which the BNSF (Amtrak) mainline passes.

Just a few more things to keep in mind while enjoying the views of these mountains from the train. Incidentally, the Web site for the USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory is:

www.vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/

Try these also:

USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory:

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/

Mount St. Helens Official Web site:

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/

Also:

http://www.mountsthelens.com/

The Official Web site Washington State Tourism:

http://www.tourism.wa.gov/

Cowlitz County:

http://www.cowlitzcounty.org/tourism/

And there are more sites available about Mount St. Helens, other Cascade volcanoes, mountains, recreation possibilites, and othr sites and sights along the routes of Amtrak trains in the Northwest.

I took Coast Starlight in May 2001 from LAX to Seattle in standard bedroom. Sadly, my window is facing west. I only saw Mt. Shasta from the sightseer lounge.

I took a car rental from Seattle to eastern Washington, stopping at Mt. Rainer. It was snowing in June! Luckily, there was a break in the cloud for a picture. It was a beautiful sight to see. It took years to build and will maybe be destroyed in matters of minutes if the volcano erupted. Mt. Rainer would be the worst one due to nearby populated area for mudslides.

That is one of the interesting aspects of riding the Starlight--indeed, any train--is that there is so much to see on both sides of the train and one doesn't always know which side to sit or have a room. But then, that is why there are lounge and dining cars on trains! Going north, the left side of the train, where I usually sit, has most of the water scenes--the Pacific Ocean between Ventura and San Luis Obispo, San Francisco Bay (Oakland to Martinez), Columbia River (Vancouver to Kelso), and the Puget Sound (Lacey/Olympia to Tacoma). I can usually see Hood and Rainier out the other side, either by simply looking across the aisle or going to a place where I can look out from that side. While is may be very early in the morning to want to get out of bed at Dunsmuir to see much of Shasta, one can always get up and go to the lounge (or diner, which is open at about 6 am)and watch it for a while, and then go back to bed. There are ways to get around problems. The main thing is simply to enjoy yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back