Self-defense (on train)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general, Amtrak trains are safe. I view Roomettes as my safe place. However, you can never know when something strange can happen.

years ago I was coming back from Detroit on one of my day trips on the Wolverine service. I recall two guys boarding and they had the army vet look with their clothes. The guy sitting next to me was fine. The guy across the aisle had been traumatized by combat. I was enjoying the conversation with my seat mate when the train stopped. Then the HEP went out. And the lights. My seat mate asked me what was going on. I explained to him glad to share my rail fan knowledge. Then he talked to the other guy. There were several starts, stops, and hep failures. The other guy talked about Vietcong, etc. my seat mate asked me more questions, I told him. We got to Battle Creek and the Other guy got off. My seat mate thanked me profusely for explaining what was happening with the train because he used this information to to “talk down” the other guy. My seat mate noted that he observed the other guy eyeing the axe that was stored in a glassed in panel. If he had been unable to to talk this guy down he might have gone after the axe And then after passengers. I was stunned. At the time I was totally unaware that this danger was imminent.

The moral of the story is that we never can completely be sure. Have an escape plan or plan of action that reduces the chance of conflict. Me, I know I would leave the area and notify the crew. I know where to find them.

I know the OP expressed concern about safety around stations. This depends on the station. Larger stations are safer because there are likely to be security staff present. Of police. Smaller stations depends on a lot of variables. I would ask about Specific stations. You cabs or Lyft instead of walking. Check availability of cabs and Lyft before you plan to be some where.

Back