Self-defense (on train)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All! I'm getting ready to take my first long-distance trip NYC-Cheyenne, WY (woohoo!). Then I'm flying to Phoenix. And after that, if I still feel like it and the hurricanes have passed through - taking a Phoenix - New Orleans train - and then back to NY. With everything going on, I feel I need to undertake this journey. For something. I don't quite know for what. Some new insights, some clarity. To activate courage within. To face something. To see the real America before it's too late... I'm even staying in Airbnbs even though I'm introverted and need my personal space. I want to talk to people. Anyway... My question: What do you all use for self-defense (not to use aboard the train but to have at the station/while walking in the city)? Would I be able to bring a pepper spray or a knife on the train? I know knifes aren't allowed but what are the chances of anyone finding one on me? Anything else you can think of for protection? I'm a 5-foot-tall 110lbs female. I gotta have something.

Last edited:
Weapons including knifes are not allowed on Amtrak, as you mention. While the odds of anyone knowing you have it are minimal if it's in a sealed bag, in the event a random search was conducted you could be removed from the train. While unlikely, that is far more likely than any situation where a weapon would be useful for self-defense. In fact, I don't recall hearing of any instance where a knife would be useful on Amtrak for such purposes.

Also, if you don't already know this, Amtrak does not have trains to either Cheyenne or Phoenix. For Cheyenne, you could take Amtrak to Denver and a bus from there. The closest stop to Phoenix is Maricopa, which typically has connecting shuttle service to Phoenix but I don't know if that has been impacted by the pandemic. Also worth noting is the overnight connection at New Orleans will now require at least two nights once the schedules are reduced to tri-weekly in October. You can still make a same-day connection to NYC in Chicago via the Texas Eagle (from Maricopa) or Southwest Chief (from Flagstaff) however.

You are likely to be safer on the train than many parts of Phoenix. There is no Phoenix train, you can get to Maricopa or Tucson on the SL or Flagstaff on the SWC. When I visit my sister, I go through Flag, it is an easier connection back to NYC, and there is interesting stuff up that way.

Hi All! I'm getting ready to take my first long-distance trip NYC-Cheyenne, WY (woohoo!). Then I'm flying to Phoenix. And after that, if I still feel like it and the hurricanes have passed through - taking a Phoenix - New Orleans train - and then back to NY. With everything going on, I feel I need to undertake this journey. For something. I don't quite know for what. Some new insights, some clarity. To activate courage within. To face something. To see the real America before it's too late... I'm even staying in Airbnbs even though I'm introverted and need my personal space. I want to talk to people. Anyway... My question: What do you all use for self-defense? Would I be able to bring a pepper spray or a knife on the train? I know knifes aren't allowed but what are the chances of anyone finding one on me? Anything else you can think of for protection? I'm a 5-foot-tall 110lbs female. I gotta have something.
Common sense, will usually get you by just fine A weapon may cause far more trouble than the issue at hand.
That's my thinking, I've never considered taking a weapon on a train, others may disagree. Maybe pepper spray would make you feel comfortable.

Last edited:
Weapons including knifes are not allowed on Amtrak, as you mention. While the odds of anyone knowing you have it are minimal if it's in a sealed bag, in the event a random search was conducted you could be removed from the train. While unlikely, that is far more likely than any situation where a weapon would be useful for self-defense. In fact, I don't recall hearing of any instance where a knife would be useful on Amtrak for such purposes.

Also, if you don't already know this, Amtrak does not have trains to either Cheyenne or Phoenix. For Cheyenne, you could take Amtrak to Denver and a bus from there. The closest stop to Phoenix is Maricopa, which typically has connecting shuttle service to Phoenix but I don't know if that has been impacted by the pandemic. Also worth noting is the overnight connection at New Orleans will now require at least two nights once the schedules are reduced to tri-weekly in October. You can still make a same-day connection to NYC in Chicago via the Texas Eagle (from Maricopa) or Southwest Chief (from Flagstaff) however.

Thank you for those pointers. Yes, there's a bus from Denver to Cheyenne. And I'm learning that the trains don't run daily so a lot of planning is involved indeed.
I thought the "Denny's restaurant" stop was the closest to Phoenix. I looked up the address, it's in the northern part of the city. Maybe I need to look at the map again.
I wanted to take the New Orleans train specifically for the route. I like the route. And the NO-NYC looks great, too.

W T F???????

You are riding an Amtrak train. Not being sucked into a Mad Max alternate universe.

If you have an issue with another passenger discuss it with the conductor. Let them deal with it, it is part of their job.

Your worst problem is likely to be the HVAC being too warm or too cold for your taste. Or the cafe car attendant being surly or MIA entirely.

What the heck do you think Amtrak trains are like?

Last edited:
I was thinking more about the safety on all those stations, waiting for connecting trains and buses (the bus from Phoenix to the train is at 1AM by a fast food restraurant), and walking around the city once I'm off the train. I'm not worried about safety aboard. So you can calm down, Zephyr.

Last edited:
Now, if you were to take Greyhound...

You might need ALL of those things I mentioned.

*shudders*

I avoid that thing like the plague. I hope those Thruway buses Amrtak uses aren't Greyhound? I've taken one from WI to CO years back. Don't know how I made it in one piece. They did lose my bag and the driver shouted at us regularly. I also hear they have no problem not picking up passengers at the stop, just breezing through while you stand there after waiting for hours. They are a total awful mess.

Hi All! I'm getting ready to take my first long-distance trip NYC-Cheyenne, WY (woohoo!). Then I'm flying to Phoenix. And after that, if I still feel like it and the hurricanes have passed through - taking a Phoenix - New Orleans train - and then back to NY. With everything going on, I feel I need to undertake this journey. For something. I don't quite know for what. Some new insights, some clarity. To activate courage within. To face something. To see the real America before it's too late... I'm even staying in Airbnbs even though I'm introverted and need my personal space. I want to talk to people. Anyway... My question: What do you all use for self-defense (not to use aboard the train but to have at the station/while walking in the city)? Would I be able to bring a pepper spray or a knife on the train? I know knifes aren't allowed but what are the chances of anyone finding one on me? Anything else you can think of for protection? I'm a 5-foot-tall 110lbs female. I gotta have something.

Search "Self Defense Key Chains", this might do it for you. My daughter has one. I also noticed a svelte 5" Amtrak SCA had one on her set of keys. Practice throat punches, would make anyone think twice.

Some Amtrak Thruway services are Greyhound codeshares. Some are codeshares with other bus lines. Some are contracted as exclusive Amtrak operations.

It is possible that the codeshare status is reflected in the numbering system, if so, I don't have the magic decoder ring.

Most Thruway services in California are Amtrak only. Thruway services in conjunction with the Amtrak Cascades services are Amtrak only.

I don't know about pepper spray. They might frown on any kind of hazardous liquids or sprays. Possibly something to do with DOT or FRA regulations, for example. I know there are varying strengths of pepper sprays but I don't know if they would approve any of them.

There are electronic panic siren type devices you can carry and it you pull the pin or press a button it will wail. That type of thing is probably ok. And of course keeping your smart phone handy should be a good idea, although you might not have cell service on parts of long distance routes.

Some might say one of the most important things about self defense is what they call 'situational awareness'. Paying attention when you are in certain areas, times of day, etc. The train should be pretty safe. It might have to do with it being such a closed environment. When you get off the train safety around the area of the train station can vary. Some of the stations are in older parts of town, sometimes a bit desolate at night but probably reasonably safe during the day. You could do some research ahead of time and investigate areas you plan to visit,

I've never had an issue on board the train or at a station that required a weapon and I've been in some pretty sketchy locales in my life. Generally if you mind your business, act like you know what your doing people will leave you alone. Basically be uninteresting and people won't take a second glance at you.

What do you all use for self-defense?
Growing up in a public school?

Would I be able to bring a pepper spray or a knife on the train? I know knifes aren't allowed but what are the chances of anyone finding one on me? Anything else you can think of for protection?
How often do you find yourself in a situation where stabbing someone is required?

My weapon of choice is my evil eye. :) I'm a older woman who has never felt the need to carry a weapon. If I'm traveling to places I'm unfamiliar with, I research the areas I plan to be in. If I decide it's not a safe place to walk I'll look for public transportation, taxis, uber/lyft to get to my destination.

You can learn self-defense that uses your body or common things you would carry with you anyway.
https://lifehacker.com/dont-put-your-keys-between-your-fingers-for-self-defens-1819780877

I don't know about pepper spray. They might frown on any kind of hazardous liquids or sprays. Possibly something to do with DOT or FRA regulations, for example. I know there are varying strengths of pepper sprays but I don't know if they would approve any of them.

There are electronic panic siren type devices you can carry and it you pull the pin or press a button it will wail. That type of thing is probably ok. And of course keeping your smart phone handy should be a good idea, although you might not have cell service on parts of long distance routes.

Some might say one of the most important things about self defense is what they call 'situational awareness'. Paying attention when you are in certain areas, times of day, etc. The train should be pretty safe. It might have to do with it being such a closed environment. When you get off the train safety around the area of the train station can vary. Some of the stations are in older parts of town, sometimes a bit desolate at night but probably reasonably safe during the day. You could do some research ahead of time and investigate areas you plan to visit,

Thank you, I will definitely look into a panic siren thing.
One thing I do have is very good situational awareness. I'm hardly a naive little thing that just wants to be nice and looks for the best in everybody ;) It's long overdue that I get some self-defense tools not only for travel.

My weapon of choice is my evil eye. :) I'm a older woman who has never felt the need to carry a weapon. If I'm traveling to places I'm unfamiliar with, I research the areas I plan to be in. If I decide it's not a safe place to walk I'll look for public transportation, taxis, uber/lyft to get to my destination.

You can learn self-defense that uses your body or common things you would carry with you anyway.
https://lifehacker.com/dont-put-your-keys-between-your-fingers-for-self-defens-1819780877

Yes, I'm waiting to see how I feel in Phoenix. Will definitely rely on Uber/Light rail if walking feels unsafe.

I've been to Cheyenne a few times. When I was in college my girlfriend went to school there. It's pretty low key but I guess a person looking for trouble might be able to find it.

Phoenix and New Orleans are way different but it all depends on your itinerary I'm sure. I would rather go to Flagstaff than Phoenix. Tucson is pretty interesting, too. Phoenix is so big you are probably going to spend your time in a suburb, like Mesa or Scottsdale. The train goes to Maricopa which is mostly one big housing development, as far as I could tell.

I've been to Cheyenne a few times. When I was in college my girlfriend went to school there. It's pretty low key but I guess a person looking for trouble might be able to find it.

Phoenix and New Orleans are way different but it all depends on your itinerary I'm sure. I would rather go to Flagstaff than Phoenix. Tucson is pretty interesting, too. Phoenix is so big you are probably going to spend your time in a suburb, like Mesa or Scottsdale. The train goes to Maricopa which is mostly one big housing development, as far as I could tell.

Cheyenne seems pretty anodyne.
Phoenix doesn't! I'm staying in Scottsdale though. I know their Light rail goes to Mesa and, I think, Tempe. Probably will spend most of the time there, and will go to Phoenix once just to check it out. I won't be driving so Tuscon isn't on the map but I hear good things about it, and it's less expensive. Greyhound goes there. Next time, perhaps.

I’ve never been seated with a group of men who had literally just been let out of prison when riding greyhound. I have on Amtrak. Your mileage may vary.
I've had the opposite, riding the Denver<>Omaha daylight bus. At Sterling, Colorado the quietest, most well-behaved group of guys board and mind their own business, just released from the state prison there.

Back