Senior boarding priority at BOS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jis's advice is spot on, but there is such a thing as early boarding at some Large Stations for Handicaped,Seniors and people with small kids or babies!

The problem is there is no consistency in when or where it is available! It's Amtrak!

I believe there is senior priority boarding in Washington DC, but not sure about BOS.

Seniors are not listed in the official priority boarding lists by Amtrak. That being said, most employees consider seniors as mobility challenged and allow them to join the priority boarding line at WAS. However, Boston is my home station and I haven't seen a priority line in use there. Boston South station has very easy boarding procedures because of the closeness to the train platforms , just outside the station on the same level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly I have been able to use the offer of "Seniors, etc etc, can board now" at Chicago for coach passengers. You can often see us Seniors starting to jockey for position as the gate time draws near. :D

Ed.

Not sure if they include seniors (as has been mentioned, feel free to use a red cap if you feel you need the additional time), but I have heard announcements for preboarding at South Station over the last few months or so.

I have never seen any special boarding at BOS. Instead, red caps first. Then one long, really long line.

Its actually way more organized then NYP, or WAS. At NYP/WAS, people accumulate in the waiting area, then when it comes close to boarding time, it is absolute madness. They will usually do seniors and families first, but it often doesnt work because of the crush of people. I'll always redcap at NYP/WAS now just to avoid it. Too many bad experiences.

BOS doesnt have a waiting area. However, there is a gate at the track, where a line gradually forms... getting longer and longer, winding around the station like a snake.

A few weeks ago at NYP they set up a line for 281 which is a very heavy crowd (at least on Fridays). There was one for an Acela towards the other end. Everything in the middle, good luck. But the closed off waiting area for ticketed passengers only might be more important to the station than smoother boarding.

I believe there is senior priority boarding in Washington DC, but not sure about BOS.
Yep, seniors, handicapped, and families with small children can wait by the gate and be boarded before the general public.
Let me retract my statement, then. I am glad to see that Amtrak is now doing this.
Boston has been doing this for years. They also pre board uniformed military personnel.

Yep, seniors, handicapped, and families with small children can wait by the gate and be boarded before the general public.
Let me retract my statement, then. I am glad to see that Amtrak is now doing this.
Boston has been doing this for years. They also pre board uniformed military personnel.
I haven't departed from Boston in years. Maybe 10? Glad that all this is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back