SEPTA: 'Significant structural defect' sidelines 120 railcars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LIRR has no usable equipment, all cars require high level platforms and engines are proprietary to Bi-Levels and do not have PTC yet.

MN could send Bombardier cars, but cab cars and engines do not have PTC yet.

all MN/CDOT EMU's (M-8) are for high level platforms only and will not power on 25 hz.

Amtrak has added service to the Keystones to help SEPTA.
I saw mention of this on the SEPTA website, but Amtrak's website is mum (not that the Amtrak website is known for including info about developing situations). Do you have a sense of how much extra service? On the Harrisburg section only, or on the Trenton/NYP section too?
I have no idea. I just happened to see it on the news as they tell people what alternatives are available. I'm so glad I don't work in Philly (as the only way I would is if the employer is within an easy walk of SEPTA rail).

According to this article, Amtrak's enhanced service consists of adding an additional car to selected Keystone departures, and adding a stop at Ardmore on a handful of trains. Many of the Keystones stop at Ardmore already, so Amtrak is basically filling a few rush hour gaps in with additional stops.

I wonder if Amtrak would consider adding some Keystone stops at Cornwells Heights on the Trenton line. It's an existing Amtrak stop but is currently used only for a small handful of daily departures. It would seem like an opportunity to add some capacity during this time period. But I suppose adding an additional stop on a train along the NEC could create a scheduling difficulty up the line somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice upgrade for a few lucky travelers that get an Amfleet seat for the price of a SEPTA ticket, though I suspect most people would just rather have the regular schedule back in effect ASAP.

While passing through Trenton on my commute this morning, I saw the departure board had three rush hour Trenton to Philly SEPTA trains listed from the new SEPTA schedule that started today: the 6:53, 6:58, and 7:14.

When they announced the 6:53, they said it would be making all stops on the way to Philly.

I saw the 6:53 SEPTA come in while I was getting my NJT train, and it was of course one of the old ones, but the cars were SEPTA cars, no NJT or anyone else.

I will see what this afternoon looks like and report back (something to keep me busy at TRE while I wait for my light rail connection :) .)

They could get spoilt with the idea of having toilets on trains :p

LOL, I know, right? But if these trains are as crowded as reports indicate, they might have trouble navigating down the aisle to the loo, and once they get back their seat might be taken!

Edit: I wonder if the Amfleet toilets will even be operational. Would SEPTA even have the capabilities of servicing them? I suppose the lease agreement could have Amtrak servicing them during a layover at 30th Street or something like that.

LOL, I know, right? But if these trains are as crowded as reports indicate, they might have trouble navigating down the aisle to the loo, and once they get back their seat might be taken!

Edit: I wonder if the Amfleet toilets will even be operational. Would SEPTA even have the capabilities of servicing them? I suppose the lease agreement could have Amtrak servicing them during a layover at 30th Street or something like that.
I read something today that Septa was handling maintenance for MARC equipment and that Amtrak and NJ Transit were going to do there own maintenance. As far as the toilets, they should not be used.

I read something today that Septa was handling maintenance for MARC equipment and that Amtrak and NJ Transit were going to do there own maintenance. As far as the toilets, they should not be used.
Well.. They're being used.. :)

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/SEPTA-spending-750000-on-leased-fleet.html

"Per week, SEPTA is leasing five coaches from the Maryland Area Regional Commuter train service for $19,462 per week; one locomotive and eight coaches from NJ Transit for $15,570 per week; and two locomotives and five coaches from Amtrak for $16,375 per week."

Sounds like MARC is getting a good price for the use of their equipment. On the other hand, it sounds like Amtrak and NJ Transit is getting screwed. From what I read yesterday that SEPTA was going to maintain MARC equipment and NJT and Amtrak were going to handle their own maintenance, it makes it even worse.

As promised, here is my report on the SEPTA Trenton to Philly line, for this morning and yesterday evening.

I saw what must have been the 6:53 SEPTA coming in this morning at Trenton. I counted six cars (all the old SEPTA cars), which I'm sure is longer than usual (although I've never had any reason to count them before, so don't know for sure). It came in on Track 1, but all the SEPTA commuters were waiting on Track 5 as usual. My NJT train left before I could hear any announcements about it.

Rush hour yesterday evening was, I'm sorry to say, much worse for Trenton to Philly commuters. They have cut out the 4:16, which many people connected to (unless our connecting NJT train was late). The only one listed on the departure board was the 4:58. Looking at the new schedule, they have made evening rush hour just the same as regular nonrush: one an hour.

I must be missing something here, but I don't understand why there would be three trains within half an hour of each other (two just five minutes apart) from Trenton to Philly in the morning rush hour, but only one an hour from Trenton to Philly in the evening. It does not seem logical.

before new cars are ordered, why arent old cars being fixed?? at least they could restore some older cars to be kept in back stock for when things go wrong. what a mess

the cost of even maintaining 30 or 40 spare cars would run in to many millions of $$$, not something transit agency's can afford.

if multi agencies would have compatible equipment it would be doable to each have like 15 spare cars to lend to each other in time of need.

Meanwhile Columbus Casting which used to be Buckeye is getting shut down completely, its assets dissipated and its land repurposed as a real estate project.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2016/08/16/columbus-castings-sale-to-firm-that-wont-reopen-it-nears-approval.html#

It would be interesting to see what alternative US source is found for the cast parts that Columbus supplied to passenger car manufacturers in the immediate future.

For example all the trucks in the Rotem Silverliners and the CAF Viewliner II's use Columbus parts in their trucks. Nippon Sharyo is also a heavy user of Columbus parts.

That's more Bad News about the VLIIs using truck parts from Columbus!
I suspect both Rotem and CAF have all the units that they need for the Sivlerliner and Viewliner II contracts so far. An issue will arise if someone were to exercise some options. Meanwhile, who knows what the situation is with Nippon Sharyo?

But what about spares and repairs/defects down the line???
That will be interesting.... There are other casting manufacturers. It should be noted that SEPTA specifically asked for using Columbus rejecting out of hand the other choice that was available. But any of the other manufacturers will have to retool to produce this set of products, which will take some time.

Back