SEPTA Wawa extension opening delayed to August (2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seems to be some confusion as to what the name of the new station will be. Most of the documents I see call it "Middletown" as it is in Middletown Township, but I have also heard "Wawa". Given that this is also the name of a popular chain of convenience stores in the area, I would expect they wouldn't use that name unless the Wawa Co. paid for naming rights, as other SEPTA stations have such as Jefferson.

Just two days ago, the rebuilt line between Media and Wawa in Pennsylvania finally became ready to host its first passenger train since 1985.

If my research is correct, it is the first time of a completely new service of a line in entire Pennsylvania since... 1992! That's 30 years! I don't mean additional trains to communities already served, but unserved communities. Let's hope we don't end up waiting another 30 years rebuilding other lines in the region.

For tourists, the Wawa extension isn't really a significant extension, but I'm happy with every additional mile we get served. To be fair, passenger rail service in Pennsylvania is already somewhat better than in other states.

Let's hope expansion continues with additional trains between Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg as well as between Cleveland, Erie and Buffalo to have better arrival times in some regions (not in the middle of the night!). Revival of services to Reading, Allentown and Scranton are also discussed. That would of course be beautiful as well.

Back