September Surprise from Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JCD,

Ahhh...that makes perfect sense. Mind you, I've gone to Flagstaff twice (bungee jumping trips up at the Navajo bridge), but the destination does attract attention.
Yes it does, one place that neither I nor my girlfriend has been, and she's lived in the state her whole life! Lol

Can't call it a success just yet but at least they have our attention with eight pages or so of comments so far.

Let's just hope the payoff is more worthwhile than the typical Schlotzskys "surprise" of a free $0.05 worth of topping on your $8 sandwich meal.

23622320193_20110907152207.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't call it a success just yet but at least they have our attention with eight pages or so of comments so far.

Let's just hope the payoff is more worthwhile than the typical Schlotzskys "surprise" of a free $0.05 worth of topping on your $8 sandwich meal.
Don't forget it's gotta be a small or medium meal, because you know if you're paying extra for the large meal you don't get that free 5 cents.

Prices are up everywhere, just home from the Grocery store, Avacados were $1.80 for large, 80c for "small"! Scholtzkys was invented here in Austin, but there are better Sandwiches at better prices here! ThunderCloud Subs has good chow @ reasonable prices! (Except not this week, the ACL Music fest is happening so prices are in the New York Range! :eek: :help: )

Could it be the Martina McBride concert tour that was just announced?
It is possible that her cross country tour is the "something special" Amtrak marketing meant on the Facebook page last week. It does qualify as a surprise, although all not that major. The news release about her tour is on the Amtrak website. Described elsewhere as a four day tour to plug her new album. Excerpts from the release:

"Amtrak will partner with multi-platinum-selling country music superstar Martina McBride to launch “ELEVEN Across America Powered by Amtrak,” a four-day train ride to launch her upcoming Republic Nashville album, ELEVEN. In celebration of her new album, Martina’s tour will include 11 stops, starting in Los Angeles and culminating in New York City in October. Fans will be treated to intimate performances in Albuquerque, Chicago and NYC."

The route will cover two Amtrak LD train routes and the NEC.

"The whistle stop tour will travel to 11 cities across the nation: Los Angeles; Flagstaff, Ariz.; Albuquerque, N.M.; Newton, Kan.; Kansas City, Mo.; Chicago; Cleveland; Pittsburgh; Washington, D.C.; Philadelphia; and New York City."

Wonder what equipment the tour will use? With performances at 11 locations, can't piggyback the whole way on the SW Chief or Capitol Limited. Not unless short concerts in the middle of the night are ok. So special train with Superliners LAX to WAS and then switch to single level trains for Philly and NYC?

Have you priced an avacado lately? They are running about $1.50 here... Probably a 50-cent upgrade for free there.
&
Prices are up everywhere, just home from the Grocery store, Avacados were $1.80 for large, 80c for "small"!
Are y'all really trying to compare fresh avocados [note spelling] with the bags of green goop used in fast food restaurants like Schlotzsky's?! :blink:

Next you're going to be telling me that the cost of Fla·Vor·Ice went up because oranges and strawberries are no longer in season. :wacko:

Schlotzsky’s makes a decent fast-food sandwich, but if you think they're paying good money for mass produced toppings you need to take another look at what you're actually eating!

I happen to take guacamole pretty seriously and will happily fork over $5 to have it made fresh at our table without a second thought, but I don't have any respect for the cheap and nasty crap that comes out of a freezer bag at the local fast food joint.

And Amtrak has revealed their surprise. They are giving away free roundtrip tickets daily until October 15th. Slightly underwhelming, but I'll take it anyways.

The prize looks is a voucher for 2 tickets anywhere Amtrak travels. As they say in the official rules, "Two (2) round-trip Amtrak tickets to anywhere in the U.S. serviced by Amtrak (ARV: $1,596.00 each). AMTRAK tickets will be awarded in the form of a voucher. Prizes must be used within 12 months of prize award or prize will be forfeited. All meals, transfers, taxes, upgrades and other expenses are not included, and are the sole responsibility of the winners. Substitutions and upgrades are not permitted." So, it looks like you can't upgrade to a sleeper using these tickets.

So here's my question: if you won, do you think you could choose to travel to from Lorton, Virginia, to Sanford, Florida? It does say "anywhere in the US serviced by Amtrak", but it also says "other restrictions may apply". I have a feeling they'd invoke that restriction.

While you might possibly be able to use it on the Auto Train route,but you'd have to check the fine print.

The prize does not include the fare for your vehicle and passengers are not allowed to travel on the Auto Train without also booking a vehicle.

Here we are a couple of weeks after the contest started and no winners among the forum members? Whats the matter with these people? To ignore such a good looking, beautiful and loyal audience as we have here is unconscionable. Has Amtrak even posted a list of the winners? We need to know these things.

Here we are a couple of weeks after the contest started and no winners among the forum members? Whats the matter with these people? To ignore such a good looking, beautiful and loyal audience as we have here is unconscionable. Has Amtrak even posted a list of the winners? We need to know these things.
Each day's winners are regularly posted on Facebook.

Well, there is ONE winner among the forum members. I won on the 21st. If you are a member of the Amtrak group on Facebook, just look for Christopher W. from York, PA. :)

Well, there is ONE winner among the forum members. I won on the 21st. If you are a member of the Amtrak group on Facebook, just look for Christopher W. from York, PA. :)
Congratulations. Where are you going to go?

Well, once I read the fine print, and if stopovers are allowed, I am going to go from Philly to K.C., stay 2 nights, K.C. to San Francisco, stay 2 nights, San Francisco to Seattle, stay 2 nights, and then Seattle back to Philly. The round-trip price is about $70 below what the prize value is, so I hope they allow it. :) If not, it will just be Philly to San Francisco. Oh, by the way, since when did the CZ start stopping in Richmond, CA? When I moved from Reno in 2009, it passed by Richmond and went right into Emeryville.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back