Service disruption in LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And where are you traveling from and to? :huh:

If (for example) you're going from LA to Michigan, you may be put on the Texas Eagle (thru TX) to Chicago. If you're leaving (for example) Needles, maybe rage SWC was turned at Flagstaff, and you'll be bussed from Needles to Flagstaff to get your train.

Don't know if the same incident...apparently there was a "gas leak" near the BNSF main near Fullerton. From a friend who was trying to head south on the Pacific Surfliner today.

EDIT: Per post on Trainorders..."Ruptured high pressure gas main next to the BNSF main line in Commerce, CA (behind the Home Depot) last night (8:50pm) caused a full main shutdown until further notice. Still closed as of 4:00pm today... "

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for my brief original message. I was texting at the same time that I was trying to contact AMTRAK. I'm leaving Fullerton at 6:45 today, destination Chicago.

That's weird, even if they bus you to San Bernardino, there is no Amtrak equipment waiting there.

Word is that #4 will detour on the Metrolink San Bernardino Line.....this is a very fast 79 mph line, so you should get into San Bernardino much earlier than the scheduled time it were to take the normal route via Fullerton/Riverside.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the detour is on tonite.

If the detour is on, take advantage of the scenery....LOTS and LOTS of backyards of peoples houses! (especially through Baldwin Park/Azusa/Covina) And the running down the 10 freeway is cool.

Sorry, I didnt read the post correctly, you are BOARDING at Fullerton, then yes you will be bussed to San Bernardino.....there, #4 will have been waiting since it did come off the Metrolink San Bernardino line.....my mistake for not reading correctly.

That's weird, even if they bus you to San Bernardino, there is no Amtrak equipment waiting there.

Word is that #4 will detour on the Metrolink San Bernardino Line.....this is a very fast 79 mph line, so you should get into San Bernardino much earlier than the scheduled time it were to take the normal route via Fullerton/Riverside.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the detour is on tonite.

If the detour is on, take advantage of the scenery....LOTS and LOTS of backyards of peoples houses! (especially through Baldwin Park/Azusa/Covina) And the running down the 10 freeway is cool.
You answered yourself.The Amtrak equipment for 4 originated at LAUPT and took an alternate route to get to San Bernardino.

Is this the old Santa Fe/SWC route via Pasadena. Running down the center of the freeway overlooking the huge valley at dusk is my favorite Amtrak memory.

Is this the old Santa Fe/SWC route via Pasadena. Running down the center of the freeway overlooking the huge valley at dusk is my favorite Amtrak memory.
It is the old SP/PE route (State Street Line?) which is now the Metrolink San Gabriel Sub. It is NOT the route via Pasadena...that is now light rail (Gold Line).

No. A significant part of that route is now an LRT line. It has not seen the SWC or any main line trains passenger or freight in decades now.

Bus is here but the wheelchair lift is broken. Still waiting to board. Some passengers are getting testy. Others just going with the flow. I suppose it depends on individual circumstances.

All is well. Finally got on the train in San Bernardino and we are underway.

Had a prob with the wheelchair lift not working on the bus but eventually the passenger was able to board and the wheelchair was stashed in the luggage compartment. Almost had a problem with not enough seating but a couple of people held children in their laps and the last two passengers were able to board. Good camaraderie on the bus!

And we were able to get our dinner in the dining car in spite of the late time. I really needed a drink! Lol!

It was total chaos at times but I think everyone did their best to be helpful.

The experience is not over! On board 4 due into Chicago at 3:15 pm. It is now 3:20 and we are in Galesburg. I've been told I will probably not make my connection, train 370 which leaves Chicago for Grand Rapids, MI at 6:30 pm. Apparently I will be spending 24 hours in Chicago as a "guest" of Amtrak, since 370 only runs one train daily.

Have any of you experienced this? I am not sure what to expect.

The experience is not over! On board 4 due into Chicago at 3:15 pm. It is now 3:20 and we are in Galesburg. I've been told I will probably not make my connection, train 370 which leaves Chicago for Grand Rapids, MI at 6:30 pm. Apparently I will be spending 24 hours in Chicago as a "guest" of Amtrak, since 370 only runs one train daily.

Have any of you experienced this? I am not sure what to expect.
Do not expect a cocktail courtesy of the captain--um the conductor. It's just not the Amtrak way. ;)

Update: No hotel for me. Five of us are in a van headed for Grand Rapids. 3 of us were on the SW Chief, and 2 were on the California Zephyr. We had to wait for that train to arrive-- it was even later than ours! I heard a woman say something about a derailment and a tornado! Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back