Service disruption in the east

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
There are currently flood advisaries in the east which has disrupted Amtrak rail traffic. Amtrak's SB Silver Service is being held in Washington until the advisories are dropped. It is being presumed (unconfirmed) that NB Silver Service is being held in Savannah on the south side of the warnings. 53 is still in Lorton, 52 on its way to Savannah. So expect massive delays on eastern trains, including the Crescent.

Well it is being hoped that trains will be allowed to get on the road at 2000. This wouldn't affect Viewliner that much, except for restricted speed from Washington to Richmond. If anything it's more time on the train for him.

Amfleet said:
Yes, but with the derailment in New Jersey, it may be decided to hold the Meteor in Penn Station until the mess has been cleared.
Amfleet,

What derailment? :unsure:

NJT is not reporting any delays with it's trains on the NEC. Except for about 1 mile from Trenton to the Delaware River, NJT run on the entire NEC corridor in NJ. If they are on time, then the derailment isn't affecting the NEC.

PS. As of 6:35 NJT says everything is on-time.

Just received news of a freight derailment at "Grundy" interlocking (between PHL and Trenton). Only one track is clear for service until Amtrak picks it up. This will kill SEPTA and Amtrak service this evening.
It seems to have happened on the SEPTA portion of the NEC, but this could be mis-leading post that I read on Trainorders. It is also comes from a indrect source.

Amfleet said:
Just received news of a freight derailment at "Grundy" interlocking (between PHL and Trenton). Only one track is clear for service until Amtrak picks it up. This will kill SEPTA and Amtrak service this evening.
It seems to have happened on the SEPTA portion of the NEC, but this could be mis-leading post that I read on Trainorders. It is also comes from a indrect source.
Well even Amtrak is largely on time, at least southbound from NYP to WAS. The latest train was about 50 minutes late. Most are within 10 minutes one way or the other of scheduled arrival times.

I haven't checked northbound yet, but if there is a major derailment, it would be affecting Amtrak in both direction far more than and average delay of maybe 10 minutes.

Either the accident isn't on the NEC, or it's something very minor that they will wait until say midnight before trying to rerail it.

As of 7:24 train #97, Viewliner's train, was reported running 1 minute late out of Newark. It's currently still holding an on-time arrival into Florida. :) Let's hope that it holds that on-time status for him. :) :D

battalion51 said:
There are currently flood advisaries in the east which has disrupted Amtrak rail traffic. Amtrak's SB Silver Service is being held in Washington until the advisories are dropped. It is being presumed (unconfirmed) that NB Silver Service is being held in Savannah on the south side of the warnings. 53 is still in Lorton, 52 on its way to Savannah. So expect massive delays on eastern trains, including the Crescent.
Well based upon Amtrak info, it would appear that the trains may be running slow, but they are getting through. Only today southbound AT train #53 is not currently running, although it is scheduled to leave Lorton at 8:00 PM as of a 7:30 PM update.

Otherwise all Northbound trains still seem to be running although some have huge delays, like 8 hours late. 89 is reported to be in Florence, SC as of 7:11 pm tonight running 3 hours 10 minutes down. So it made it through.

It's possible that 91 is being held at WAS, as it's last status was as of 5:09 when they reported it being 49 minutes down. They estimated an arrival into Richmond for 7:22, but there is no update at present.

Northbound train 92(19), was reported arriving into Richmond at 7:18 tonight, putting it down over 10 hours.

So based upon that it would appear that the trains are still running, even though there are huge delays through that area. I'm guessing that just like they did with the snow storm, CSX is playing games again and probably trying to curtail service so they don't have to deal with passenger service. :( Plus since everything has to run slow due to the flooding, they are giving priority to their freight trains.

Well 92(19) was doomed from the start. They were two hours late out of the gate, and have just been hit hard with delays, flood warnings, and many other factors since then. I would have loved to have been on that train. :D

Well Viewliner has made it to Philly, and only 10 minutes late at 8:39 PM. :)

There still however is no status on 91 south of DC, so I don't know if it's being held or what.

91 was released from Washington at 2051 CSX Standard. 53 was also released from Lorton at 2032.

Amtrak status confirms your information Battalion.

This of course is good news for Viewliner as he should also be able to go through to Florida on his Viewliner on 97. :)

Should be a rather hectic day in Sanford tomorrow. They are pulling all the cars that they have available out so the loading can begin before the train comes in. The hopes are they will be able to get her out in four hours. They probably will replace the 833 and 98 with engines from the yard, as it does take a little bit of time to get road power in and out of the diesel shops.

Well 91 is definitely on the move as its now reported having passed Alexandria, VA at 9:28.

Viewliner has passed Wilmington, Delaware.

battalion51 said:
Should be a rather hectic day in Sanford tomorrow. They are pulling all the cars that they have available out so the loading can begin before the train comes in. The hopes are they will be able to get her out in four hours. They probably will replace the 833 and 98 with engines from the yard, as it does take a little bit of time to get road power in and out of the diesel shops.
I'm sure it will be a very interesting day in Sanford. Especially since the current estimate from Amtrak has 53 arriving almost 6 hours late at 2:21 PM. That leaves only a hour and a half to clean and turn the consist. Even less since in theory they start boarding by 3:30 PM.

Plus I don't expect 53 to make up any time as I'm sure they will encounter slow orders due to the flooding. When I took the AT 2 years ago we ran through North Carolina at 15 MPH due to flash flood warnings from tropical storm Allison.

So I wouldn't be shocked to see a late departure from SFA tomorrow.

Well Viewliner has reached DC as of 11:12 PM. So lets hope that they don't hold his train there for too long.

Virginia Railway Express, in a series of online advisories, has told its passengers today that the evening rush hour would feature seriously delayed trains. This is again due to the threat of flash flooding along both the CSX (RF&P) and the NS lines to Fredericksburg and Manassas respectively. For their evening rush, some southbound trains out of Washington were cancelled, while others were still running, but subject to delays. VRE told its passengers to bring food and drink aboard since they could be on board for several hours. They also supplemented both lines with buses from the Vienna and Franconia-Springfield Metro stations. Tomorrow morning's rush hour is questionable as well.

They also advised displaced southbound passengers on their Manassas line (NS) to take Amtrak Train #19, the Crescent, which would be making all local VRE stops in lieu of VRE trains (except Broad Run, the last stop, which is off the NS main). Then #19 was reported to be running about an hour late off the NEC (probably due to that derailment in Pennsylvania), so that has caused some VRE passengers to be even further delayed.

Well the latest Amtrak info still shows all trains moving. However in an odd turn of events Viewliner's train #97 has passed train #91. As of 8:02 AM #97 was in Florence, SC and running a little over 3 hours down. As of 7:23 AM train #91 was in Raleigh, NC running 9 hours down. Current estimates have #97 arriving in Miami two hours earlier than #91.

Northbound trains are running between 5 hours late (#98) and 2 hours late (#90).

Now for the Autotrain. All I can say is ouch! :eek: Sanford is going to have a lot of fun today. At present, thanks to slow running, #53 is currently scheduled to arrive at 5:51 PM. That's almost two hours after the consist should have turned to become todays northbound #52 and left Sanford.

The northbound #52(20) is due to arrive at Lorton around noon today, so that will be a little tight, but probably still doable for an ontime departure for todays #53.

Steve4031 said:
Well, he definitely will have an interesting trip report. It is kind of cool watching you guys track his train.
Steve,

Actually if it weren't for the heavy delays, we probably wouldn't be tracking Viewliner's train quite as closely. But with one of ours on a train encountering potentially big delays, that makes it more real and exciting. :)

AlanB said:
Well the latest Amtrak info still shows all trains moving. However in an odd turn of events Viewliner's train #97 has passed train #91. As of 8:02 AM #97 was in Florence, SC and running a little over 3 hours down. As of 7:23 AM train #91 was in Raleigh, NC running 9 hours down. Current estimates have #97 arriving in Miami two hours earlier than #91.
Northbound trains are running between 5 hours late (#98) and 2 hours late (#90).

Now for the Autotrain. All I can say is ouch! :eek: Sanford is going to have a lot of fun today. At present, thanks to slow running, #53 is currently scheduled to arrive at 5:51 PM. That's almost two hours after the consist should have turned to become todays northbound #52 and left Sanford.

The northbound #52(20) is due to arrive at Lorton around noon today, so that will be a little tight, but probably still doable for an ontime departure for todays #53.
This is where the wrecks last year of the Auto Train and the Capitol Limited really hurt operations of the Auto Train. There used to be a third, or "protect" trainset sitting in Sanford during normal operations. The three sets were used interchangeably, allowing them proper breaks for maintenance. The third set also helped them in situations like this, where the southbound would be arriving after the northbound should have departed. The extra set could have left Sanford on time, and the late-arriving southbound would become the new spare. Unfortunately, this is no longer possible, but it makes one wonder just how the cars get their maintenance, save for unscheduled annullments as happened once this week due to the flooding.

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
Well, he definitely will have an interesting trip report.  It is kind of cool watching you guys track his train.
Steve,

Actually if it weren't for the heavy delays, we probably wouldn't be tracking Viewliner's train quite as closely. But with one of ours on a train encountering potentially big delays, that makes it more real and exciting. :)
Gee, I wonder if my progress will be tracked too when I take #97 on April 16th. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back