Service Notice - Capitol Corridor/San Joaquin/CZ July 13 & 20

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251624193591

Effective July 13 and 20, 2013 OnlyOn the dates shown above, a bridge replacement project between Berkeley and Richmond, California stations will be performed by Union Pacific Railroad...

Interesting the way they are handling train 6... It will leave Emeryville 90 minutes early at 7:40am, however it will also service Berkeley, CA before Richmond, CA at a time of 9:14am. It states the bridge is between Berkeley, CA and Richmond, CA, however the time for Berkeley, CA is 4 minutes after the normally scheduled departure time from Emeryville.

For those unfamiliar with the area, the train travel time between Emeryville, CA and Berkeley, CA is normally 3-4 minutes. I'm not sure if the train will be departing Emeryville early to park somewhere between Emeryville and Berkeley or at the Berkeley platform until it is time to depart Berkeley or if there is another plan. There is no note for train 11 so I assume the work area will be passable in that timeframe.

NOTE: The Title got cut off but this is July 13th and 20th if someone is able to modify... thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer my own question the train left Emeryville, CA at 7:42am and did stop at Berkeley, CA station but at 7:46am instead of 9:14am. There wasn't anyone waiting so the train just stopped but didn't open any doors.

The train then went north to wait for Southbound Train 11 to pass the work area. Train 6 then proceeded through the work area and waited at Richmond, CA station (aprox. 1 Hr.) for the scheduled departure time of 9:22am.

The Work area is on the short bridge by the I-580/Bayview overpass.

Guess anyone waiting in Berkeley for that 9:14am departure will be out of luck!

So rather than have the dozen or so UP workers start their day a bit later at 9:30 AM or so (union contract rules?), they make the umpteen dozen CZ passengers come to EMY 90 minutes early to ride their train for 10 minutes, then sit for another hour at the Richmond station before continuing their journey.

And I bet the CZ dining car did NOT open for breakfast this morning (more union rules?) to accomodate all of those passengers who might have missed out on their own breakfasts at home or hotel.

Way to go, UP and Amtrak! Just follow your mantra that the Customer is NEVER Number One.

Any sensible person just road BART to Richmond instead! Too bad Amtrak didn't reroute the Thruway Buses there! AC Transit has a nice bus loop at the station, they could have done it.

Makes you wonder if Amtrak made an effort to contact all of the passengers and suggest to them that they take BART to Richmond instead, or whether they simply had their connecting buses for the CZ passengers in SF travel to Richmond instead at the regular times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back