Amtrak Service Reductions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This seems like a very poor move in terms of trying to save money. Sure, you save on some labor expenses and fuel, but you don't remove much of your capital expenses, building expenses, etc., and the only major savings on equipment is if ridership drops further so you don't need as many cars to operate. You can still shorten a consist somewhat as demand requires, and 7x/week of a shorter consist may result in similar mileage as 3x/week full consist.

It seems far smarter, at least for a short-term solution, to significantly scale back on-board services and run a bare-bones but daily operation. Remove most services from the sleeper cars and treat it closer to "coach-with-a-bed" in terms of amenities given, remove the dining car temporarily, and have food service handled by the cafe car. It may not be the service we're used to, but it'd still provide essential transportation and leave a better structure in place to build from.

Amtrak should try my scheme for next year's service:

Trains westbound to Chicago run once per week and arrive the day after the westbounds from Chicago leave. They also run once per week. Chicago Convention & Visitors Bureau subsidizes this service with an under-the-counter payoff to Amtrak. Because Chicago politicians are used to that kind of payoff, it is easier to manage. Similarly, eastbound trains work the same way, doubling Amtrak's Chicago income.

Southbound trains including the Palmetto, Meteor and Star run daily. No northbound service. Instead, each night, an Amtrak train runs non-stop without passengers from Miami to Savannah pulling all the Meteor and Star engines and cars back to NY. At Savannah, the Palmetto engines and cars are added. Thus Amtrak's train becomes so long that it can't be put on a siding by NS and thus becomes the only on-time LD train. Amtrak and NS jointly announce that Amtrak's on-time performance has dramatically improved and they are now kissing cousins.

The Empire Builder uses overnight bus service between Fargo, ND and Spokane to avoid having all those passengers that used to slow the train down for stops in Glacier Park. While not eliminating delays, the number and length of them is significantly reduced - another accolade for Amtrak management.

The Southwest Chief is re-routed via the California Zephyr route so that each train runs only 1 1/2 times a week (alternating weeks) but Denver to Albuquerque bus service is provided on the days the Chief runs.

Because of the reduced service, Amtrak's web site only operates three times a week (at reduced hours). Similarly, phone reservations are handled strictly by Julie with no human assistance.

The new, future, bedding is only used once per alternate Thursday except on weeks with a National Holiday during that week to reduce the need to purchase new bedding yet to allow Amtrak to announce that the "Fresh Choices Linens" which are preferred by the younger generation, are now a reality.

Amtrak will offer new, COMPLIMENTARY, snacks and soft drinks to all coach passengers in lieu of having a cafe car. Each passenger must arrive at a staffed station 30 minutes prior to boarding to insure getting their can of soda and snack. Those boarding at non-staffed stations will receive a $2 voucher for future Amtrak travel in lieu of a snack and soft drink.

Amtrak will provide new, enhanced dining and sanitary bedding service to sleeper passengers. Sleeper passengers at staffed stations will be provided with all meals scheduled for their journey and their pre-packaged bedding prior to boarding. SCA positions will be eliminated but all LD trains will have a diner-lounge or lounge car where sleeping car passengers can enjoy their meals and learn how to make up their own rooms and clean their toilets in complimentary Amtrak on-board classes. The LSA will conduct such classes. A small refundable fee will be charged for rental of the bedding to insure its return.

To improve ontime performance, Amtrak trains will no longer board/deboard sleeper passengers at other than staffed stations to reduce dwell time and the need to make two stops at some stations with short platforms. To insure customer satisfaction, Amtrak guarantees that even if the number of staffed stations decreases in the future, there will always be at least two staffed stations on every train route.

Trains westbound to Chicago run once per week and arrive the day after the westbounds from Chicago leave. They also run once per week. Chicago Convention & Visitors Bureau subsidizes this service with an under-the-counter payoff to Amtrak. Because Chicago politicians are used to that kind of payoff, it is easier to manage. Similarly, eastbound trains work the same way, doubling Amtrak's Chicago income.

Why would we do that? Pretty much everything gathering-wise has been cancelled until next year. And we have no money - the lost tax revenue from Covid and the looting have done a huge number on Chicago's finances (for those of you who may not be aware, somewhere around 1/3 of business on the south side are boarded up - not sure about other parts of the City).

Amtrak should try my scheme for next year's service:

Southbound trains including the Palmetto, Meteor and Star run daily. No northbound service. Instead, each night, an Amtrak train runs non-stop without passengers from Miami to Savannah pulling all the Meteor and Star engines and cars back to NY. At Savannah, the Palmetto engines and cars are added. Thus Amtrak's train becomes so long that it can't be put on a siding by NS and thus becomes the only on-time LD train. Amtrak and NS jointly announce that Amtrak's on-time performance has dramatically improved and they are now kissing cousins.

The Empire Builder uses overnight bus service between Fargo, ND and Spokane to avoid having all those passengers that used to slow the train down for stops in Glacier Park. While not eliminating delays, the number and length of them is significantly reduced - another accolade for Amtrak management.

The Southwest Chief is re-routed via the California Zephyr route so that each train runs only 1 1/2 times a week (alternating weeks) but Denver to Albuquerque bus service is provided on the days the Chief runs.

Because of the reduced service, Amtrak's web site only operates three times a week (at reduced hours). Similarly, phone reservations are handled strictly by Julie with no human assistance.

The new, future, bedding is only used once per alternate Thursday except on weeks with a National Holiday during that week to reduce the need to purchase new bedding yet to allow Amtrak to announce that the "Fresh Choices Linens" which are preferred by the younger generation, are now a reality.

Amtrak will offer new, COMPLIMENTARY, snacks and soft drinks to all coach passengers in lieu of having a cafe car. Each passenger must arrive at a staffed station 30 minutes prior to boarding to insure getting their can of soda and snack. Those boarding at non-staffed stations will receive a $2 voucher for future Amtrak travel in lieu of a snack and soft drink.

Amtrak will provide new, enhanced dining and sanitary bedding service to sleeper passengers. Sleeper passengers at staffed stations will be provided with all meals scheduled for their journey and their pre-packaged bedding prior to boarding. SCA positions will be eliminated but all LD trains will have a diner-lounge or lounge car where sleeping car passengers can enjoy their meals and learn how to make up their own rooms and clean their toilets in complimentary Amtrak on-board classes. The LSA will conduct such classes. A small refundable fee will be charged for rental of the bedding to insure its return.

To improve ontime performance, Amtrak trains will no longer board/deboard sleeper passengers at other than staffed stations to reduce dwell time and the need to make two stops at some stations with short platforms. To insure customer satisfaction, Amtrak guarantees that even if the number of staffed stations decreases in the future, there will always be at least two staffed stations on every train route.

I gave up trying to contact my 2 Senstors since I'm not on their "Supporter List", so I would always receive Form Letters ( look if up Kiddies), now its Boiler Plate emails.
If I feel like I'm not being heard I simply choose to have a little fun with it. Sometimes I'm snarky, other times I'm sarcastic, and sometimes I talk like a genuine supporter but with a feigned confusion that reverses the usual talking points into comical counterarguments. If the Washington line is busy I call a regional office. If they're busy I leave a message. Sometimes I draw attention to their hypocrisy on local news sites or send an op-ed on an important issue. I also donate to the competition so that each year they get a little stronger and a little closer to challenging the status quo. Never give up on telling the people in charge what you think of their performance. If that means having some fun while exposing their selfishness or sending them a cartoon that mocks their petty excuses then so be it. The point isn't always about changing someone's mind. Sometimes it's as simple as enjoying the access others fought and died to provide us, as well as reminding ourselves and each other that political activism is an important part of a healthy and productive lifestyle. This can be a difficult concept to digest but an important lesson for younger generations to learn now while it can still do them some good.

Last edited:
If someone was going from say Charleston, WV to Salem, OR on 3X trains, they look at the schedule.

“I can go by Amtrak, but I would have to travel 5 days, including overnights in Chicago and either Portland or Sacramento, or I could fly for the same fare or less with 1 short connection and be there in 9 hours. Which should I chose?🤔

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this just the obvious other shoe dropping, in a manner of speaking?

The first shoe was Flynn sending a letter to Congress stating that Amtrak will have a shortfall of about a billion dollars in FY21 that will need to be covered with supplemental appropriation.

Having heard pin drop silence from all, the next obvious step is to plan for operations assuming that there will be a $1 billion budget shortfall. Then the discussion becomes how do you keep the company going while staying within the available resources. Of course Congress has it within its power to fix this problem in a snap, if they choose to do so.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this just the obvious other shoe dropping, in a manner of speaking?

The first shoe was Flynn sending a letter to Congress stating that Amtrak will have a shortfall of about a billion dollars in FY21 that will need to be covered with supplemental appropriation.

Having heard pin drop silence from all, the next obvious step is to plan for operations assuming that there will be a $1 billion budget shortfall. Then the discussion becomes how do you keep the company going while staying within the available resources. Of course Congress has it within its power to fix this problem in a snap, if they choose to do so.
Seems like we've seen this "scare tactic" before, from Amtrak president's...IIRC, even the vernerated W G Claytor used this to get his desired funding from Congress at one time or other. Especially effective if you target the 'home train' of budgetary chairperson's....
Not sure if this form of "blackmail" would work in today's climate...

This seems like a very poor move in terms of trying to save money. Sure, you save on some labor expenses and fuel, but you don't remove much of your capital expenses, building expenses, etc., and the only major savings on equipment is if ridership drops further so you don't need as many cars to operate. You can still shorten a consist somewhat as demand requires, and 7x/week of a shorter consist may result in similar mileage as 3x/week full consist.

I am looking at this, in a similar way.
  • Alternating the Silvers, at common stations, means that all these stations will be kept open for 7-days. Not much savings doing that.
  • I assume the Lounges will be kept open daily, to serve the remaining First Class and Sleeper Class passengers. No real savings there.
  • Equipment is all owned. So, not using equipment only saves a bit in wear&tear.

Why should Amtrak be exempt from belt-tightening; school districts across the country are warning about massive cuts to their budgets in the fall as are most municipal services. I think we're going to have to get used to stuff getting cut unfortunately (just like we're getting used to shortages in grocery stores, etc) for the foreseeable future. Amtrak is lucky in that it's federal, so it's possible that it will get some funding that things local won't be able to.

They are being cut appropriately now. Some trains only have 4 On board service employees and are half the size as normal. You can’t run a functioning transit system 3 days a week. It’s a model that has been proven to be a failure in the short and long term costing revenue along with riders making for higher loses.

Last edited:
If someone was going from say Charleston, WV to Salem, OR on 3X trains, they look at the schedule.

“I can go by Amtrak, but I would have to travel 5 days, including overnights in Chicago and either Portland or Sacramento, or I could fly for the same fare or less with 1 short connection and be there in 9 hours. Which should I chose?🤔
Even if the trains run every day, it's going to take 3-4 days to get from Charleston to Salem by train, vs. 9 hours by airline. Which should I choose?
The vast majority of Amtrak passengers, even on the long-distance trains, aren't making transcontinental journeys involving multiple transfers. The national network is not government-supported for the benefit of long-distance riders, it's supported for the benefit of people in small communities that don't have alternate forms of non-auto transportation. I suppose its functionality could be replaced with government supported intercity coach service on public highways, except that the buses get stuck in the traffic jams on the approaches to the large cities. Or they could run direct coach service from these rural locations to regional airports where the passengers can connect to flights to wherever they want to go.
I don't know how much money Amtrak is saving from the reduced service. It is possible that there's a political component to this as well, either to demonstrate to their Congressional paymasters that they're good stewards of tax dollars by not spending taxpayer money on empty trains, or as in implied threat that additional funds are going to be needed to get through the rough patch of reduced ridership. Congress (even when run by "conservatives") is on the record as supporting the national network. This might be a shot across the bow to remind Congress that they need to "walk the walk" as well as "talk the talk."

I have told my Representative and Senators to stop this dumbassery. I can state as a professional investment analyst that this is a way to lose more money.

What I think Amtrak should do is to eliminate the coaches (and the cafes and dining cars), only run sleepers, and advertise the hell out of their virus-safety and social distancing value. Travel in a private compartment with non-recirculated air -- be safe, avoid the airplanes.

And run daily obviously.

Labor costs would drop a lot with no cafes and no coaches. One locomotive and one sleeper daily would be the baseline, with more sleepers for more demand.

If Amtrak goes to 3 days a week it will not be operationally ever to go back to daily service. The first problem of course will be laid off T & E crews. They will drift to other jobs and after the Cascades wreck training will take 60 days at least. But the real gorilla will be the P-42s . Amtrak will park the bad actors and when Amtrak tries to run them again they will become 10x bad actors.

I had a reservation for the meteor on December 27 going southbound from the northeast. It has now been turned into a reservation on a silver Star. I guess that answers the question on whether they'll go back to higher frequencies through the winter period.

I had a reservation for the meteor on December 27 going southbound from the northeast. It has now been turned into a reservation on a silver Star. I guess that answers the question on whether they'll go back to higher frequencies through the winter period.

When did you hear about the change in reservation? (I haven't been following the Stars closely--is your change part of the new service reductions posed this week, or something earlier?)

Where did that July 6 date come from? The letter to employees mentions October 1.

jb

Amtrak didn’t announce this service reduction at all. Just letting it quietly fly under the radar along with the jobs that will be cut before October 1. Changes are effective in Arrow.

Silver Star will originate northbound Thur-Sat and southbound Fri-Sun.
Silver Meteor will originate northbound Sun-Wed and southbound Mon-Thur.

When did you hear about the change in reservation? (I haven't been following the Stars closely--is your change part of the new service reductions posed this week, or something earlier?)
I just received an email about it this morning. It must be part of the changes announced this week - or rather not announced.

This is what my reservation looks like now. Which incidentally makes no sense because I'm arriving in Philly after the Star leaves.

Screenshot_20200617-083300~2.png

FWIW, I just checked Amtrak.com and found the Crescent is still running every day the first week of October. (I've got a reservation southbound that week, and am hoping it doesn't change.) So at least some of the proposed changes haven't been entered into the booking system. Yet.

I just received an email about it this morning. It must be part of the changes announced this week - or rather not announced.

This is what my reservation looks like now. Which incidentally makes no sense because I'm arriving in Philly after the Star leaves.

View attachment 17796

Yikes. Looks like a phone call is necessary. I wonder how many people will miss trains because of broken connections that Amtrak didn’t pick up on.

Yikes. Looks like a phone call is necessary. I wonder how many people will miss trains because of broken connections that Amtrak didn’t pick up on.
I had an airline do that to me once. Changed my connecting flight to one that left before my arrival flight. Luckily I caught it before my trip.

Keep the calls coming into your reps it makes all the difference in the world.

Calls to local offices seem to do better vs the Wash DC offices. My local senators and rep offices here in my town answer the phone on the first ring, take time to listen to what you are saying and you can actually hear them typing your comments into the computer. To me it sounds like they are actually happy to be talking to someone. Maybe no one calls these satellite offices, who knows. Thought I’d throw it out since someone mentioned above they got a response to something totally unrelated to what they called or wrote about.

On a side note they were already familiar with this latest Amtrak scheme when I called yesterday and thanked me for calling.

Last edited:
Back