Setting here on avery tardy westbound Zephyr. Over 5 hrs late because

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
word over on trainorders.com is that the massive rock slide that occurred in Gore Canyon (west of Granby) will require the CZ to be rerouted via Wyoming for the next 3 days, minimum. In the meantime, there is one eastbound train sitting in Grand Junction, CO, and this morning there were TWO westbound trains sitting in Denver. One is now being rerouted west via Wyoming. The other will be held at Denver and will become the eastbound continuation of the train now sitting in Grand Junction. Passengers on that eastbound train will be bustituted to Denver -- approximately a 4-hour journey, then board the set that was turned in Denver and will start them on their continued way to Chicago this evening.

Passengers heading west of Denver were either put on the equipment being rerouted through Wyoming (on a space-available basis), or bussed west on Interstate 70 to Grand Junction to join the equipment that is reversing direction there to head west. The buses can certainly board and de-bus Amtrak passengers at Glenwood Springs, with no problem. But passengers who were bound for Fraser/Winter Park or Granby, Colorado may now be S.O.O.L. for the next few days. I have my doubts whether Amtrak will route one of the substitute buses through those two station stops to handle passengers for this service suspension.

I was in downtown Denver today and parked close to Coors Field. On the way back to my truck I noticed the train was in the station. So, I took a little detour and checked it out. I heard about the delays fom one of the OBS crew.

Look what was on the "front" baggage car end! P42s 45 and 170 were hooked up to the sleepers on the north end.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my way to work this morning here in Salt Lake City, I did a double take when I saw the eastbound #6 sitting there at 9:45 in the morning, with a UP engine attached. It got in at 8:29 and didn't leave until about 10:00. (I didn't stick around so I didn't see if it left with the UP engine or not).

Very late eastbound Amtrak #6 with extra UP engine, at SLC station. by pet sounds and villains, on Flickr

My neighbor was driving back from Nebraska to Salt Lake this past weekend and got stuck in Cheyenne for two days due to this storm.

I'm glad my trip to PRO and then on to SAC and LAX isn't till late July! I've already done the Wyoming route in 1980 when it was a real Amtrak route, underwhelmed. I'd really rather do the Glenwood Canyon. Once I arrive in PRO I'll have about 8 hours before I *have* to be anywhere, yeah that was definitely preplanned.

i'm getting reqdy to board a late 5 out of Chicago. Some of us lounge passengers were disussing the detour and the lack of notices from Amtrak. Could this mean that they anticipate it to be cleared by the time our train gets there?

I tried booking Denver to Grand Junction for tomorrow (15) and lets me select a roomette or a bedroom, which would not be available on a bustitution.

Any thoughts.

I swear I saw a news item earlier that said they expected the slide to be cleared this evening (Wednesday). But for the life of me I can't find it again.

Yesterday, on the 15th, the Zepher arrived in Denver from Chicago about 8 hours late. 4PM rather than 7:15AM. We opted to wait a day so we could see the Rockies in the light.

Today's train is at least 4 hours late so far.

Post from Facebook:

Travelling over a broken rail in Nevada at about 2mph..sat for about 1 1/2 hrs till track inspectors got there to watch us as we crossed.
I'm guessing that the poster is between Elko and Winnemucca on train 5(14), which was already almost 9 hours late leaving ELK. Jeez, maybe it's time for a "CZ Mess" thread.

I hope this "mess" gets straightened out before my trip, if I wanted an 8-hour delay. I'd have booked myself on the Empire Builder!

Post from Facebook:

Travelling over a broken rail in Nevada at about 2mph..sat for about 1 1/2 hrs till track inspectors got there to watch us as we crossed.
I'm guessing that the poster is between Elko and Winnemucca on train 5(14), which was already almost 9 hours late leaving ELK. Jeez, maybe it's time for a "CZ Mess" thread.
The Facebook poster says that this was a caption from an old photo. My apologies for confusing the issue. Although 5(14) arrived EMY almost 8 hours late at 12:05am.

I received an email for our upcoming trip on Sunday. While on hold, thought I would pop on here to get the scoop.

We are going to be re-routed through Wyoming! Rock slide, not sure if this is the same one as this thread is talking about or a new one?

I am excited, I used to ride the train up to Rawlins years back to visit my sister. Not as pretty but at least we get to stay on the train, no bus.

I believe UP is doing track maintenance in Colorado for a week since all ticketing vetween gsc and granby is blocked May 19-26.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Rock slide near Moffat Tunnel detours Amtrak passengers heading to Colorado

Rail closure expected through Memorial Day

DENVER - Passenger and freight trains are being rerouted from Colorado through Wyoming after a series of rockslides west of the Moffat Tunnel buried railroad tracks for nearly two miles, including one rockslide that was 10 feet deep.

Mark Davis of the Union Pacific Railroad said Wednesday rail traffic was stopped May 13 while the tracks were cleared, then reopened for a short time. It was closed again for permanent repairs that began on Sunday and are expected to continue through Memorial Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back