Share a Coke with...Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coke or Pepsi

• Coke

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • Pepsi

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
Shhhh...truth is, you can't. ;)

Blind taste tests have proven over and over that most tasters cant tell the difference.

The same is true of the same types of American Beer. (which generally is yellow water!)

I took the "Pepsi Challenge" in the '70s. I had no trouble distinguishing which tasted best...and it was Coca-Cola (PRIOR to the switch to HFCS), hands down. They hustled me away from that kiosk and quick!

As a matter of fact, I earned a small measure of fame when I was working (briefly) at Mickey D's in 1979-80. I could tell, from taste alone, when the post-mix machine mix setting was off by five percent. The manager confirmed it with the cup tester and couldn't believe it!

(Now beer, OTOH...I wouldn't know the good stuff from the bad!)

Funny, I was teaching about testing specific gravity in storage batteries the other night, and someone asked about other examples of testing for specific gravity. I talked about when I was working at a roller rink (1972) and we expanded the snack bar. Calibrating the soda fountains (post mix/5 gal stainless tanks, not the bag in a box stuff that is common today) Syrup to water ratio was verified with a refractometer (prism based specific gravity measuring tool) similar to checking grape juice sugar content for winemaking...

I took the "Pepsi Challenge" in the '70s. I had no trouble distinguishing which tasted best...and it was Coca-Cola (PRIOR to the switch to HFCS), hands down. They hustled me away from that kiosk and quick!

As a matter of fact, I earned a small measure of fame when I was working (briefly) at Mickey D's in 1979-80. I could tell, from taste alone, when the post-mix machine mix setting was off by five percent. The manager confirmed it with the cup tester and couldn't believe it!

(Now beer, OTOH...I wouldn't know the good stuff from the bad!)
Maybe you missed your calling....
Don’t perfume manufacturers pay big bucks for those with sensitive noses or tongues?

On 449 today. First day of coke on this train. According to the cafe attendant they made a couple food related changes too.
Did you notice whether the bottled ice tea brand was also different?

Tuesday we took a day-trip from PAK to KIS and back. We rode the SM down and the SS back ... we went coach both ways and never went to the cafe car so I have no idea what they had with the new food arrangements. I should have gone to see just to find out but didn't really think of it.

Oh, thank Zeus on the sweet tea! Now I just hope it's not the "with lemon" stuff (AKA Force Choke flavor).

The menus are currently a jumble:
-The Acela is still showing Pepsi and Lipton (link: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...cuments/menus/routes/Acela-Cafe-Menu-0617.pdf )
-The Midwest is listing Gold Peak but just generic "soft drinks" (which is reasonable to do in lieu of listing them all).
-The Surfliner is generic on the tea but explicit on the Pepsi (link: http://www.octa.net/pdf/LOSSAN_2017_7_PacificSurfliner_Menu_Scrolling.pdf )

On the LD trains:
-I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing it safe for a few weeks as stock gets turned over. I think most distribution agreements generally let the old supplies get used, and I remember that after one of the previous menu changeovers the Capitol Limited was still on the old dessert menu for forever. "Is it Coke or Pepsi this week?" might be a bit of a game ;-)
-They're probably just not going to bother updating the Flex Dining menu until they run through the current stock of them. Again, can't blame them...I think they ran those off well before Oct. 1, and given how much of a mess everything else is on that front I don't see this as a management priority.

(Of course, I'm going to be a mite peeved if I'm told that it's Pepsi in the sleepers and Coke in the cafe...that will get a polite complaint.)

I guess I should have had a Pepsi instead of a beer.

This will no doubt go down as Anderson's most important contribution to Amtrak and will be remembered for years to come. There will probably be parades in San Francisco and Washington over this.
It is strictly a matter of opinion, I know, but to my eyes it is one of only only two net-positive changes he has delivered (the other is the Acela Nonstop).

Back