Shared showers for roomettes questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they were white hard foam cutouts, on a sheet, so you "punched them out" to get the strap and you had a pair. There was a stack of them in the room. Considering that so many people end up throwing the towels on the floor to try and keep it a little dryer and cleaner to step on, I was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to wait to hear reports from others to see if this is the new normal, or if I saw the Loch Ness Monster.
I've never seen them on any trip.
Perhaps a recent, fresh-and-contemporary innovation?

Frankly, to me they sound as useless and wasteful as the "amenity kit"--given that we can't count on any such thing being consistently available on Amtrak, so need to bring our own supplies anyway.
The disposable flip flops were part of the new meal roll out so yes it is fresh and contemporary.
Fresh and contemporary flip-flops? Do you have a photo you could share with the rest of us?
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/07/05-a-look-at-amtraks-new-cold-meal-service

foodgallery06.jpg
I don't think I would want to be caught dead wearing those...
default_unsure.png
default_ohmy.png
Not to Breakfast, anyways!
default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I never posted the article and pictures earlier since I figured many of you who are bigger diehards than me would have already but I guess not.
default_tongue.png
Interesting. I did not see them while on the CL this summer.

For what it's worth, they fulfilled their intended purpose of allowing you to shower without stepping in a shower stall or on the floor covered with water or residue from someone else and having it on your feet. But the consistency issue is a valid one, either have them all the time, or don't have them at all, and most of us will pack accordingly.

I just rode AT. Towels were in the shower dressing room as well as soap bars as well as liquid soap bottles for those who prefer that but I didn't see any shampoo or conditioner in there like some hotels provide so you have to bring your own. There was also a large laundry bag in there to throw the used towel in when you were finished.

Just off the EB and only bar soap and towels. No shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap or shower shoes.

Not for nothing but since I took my first shower during our unscheduled extended layover in Spokane while they were connecting the trains (therefore only emergency lighting), I went back in full light to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.

I just rode AT. Towels were in the shower dressing room as well as soap bars as well as liquid soap bottles for those who prefer that but I didn't see any shampoo or conditioner in there like some hotels provide so you have to bring your own. There was also a large laundry bag in there to throw the used towel in when you were finished.
Just off the EB and only bar soap and towels. No shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap or shower shoes.

Not for nothing but since I took my first shower during our unscheduled extended layover in Spokane while they were connecting the trains (therefore only emergency lighting), I went back in full light to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.
I don't think Amtrak has ever in recent years provided any shampoo or conditioner (other than in the LSL and CL amenity kits), so I don't see think this is any surprise or demonstrative of inconsistency.

I have had individual SCA put out little shampoos from hotels/motels they stayed at, but that is going above and beyond, not an expectation. When I had a shower with a wall dispenser, the liquid was combo body wash/shampoo, but I haven't seen one of those in quite a while.

As enterprising as that sounds, and I applaud those employees that 'go above and beyond' in providing for their passenger's; I have mixed feelings about finding 'non standard' items distributed....as I suspect the management would ...for various reasons.

Yes, they were white hard foam cutouts, on a sheet, so you "punched them out" to get the strap and you had a pair. There was a stack of them in the room. Considering that so many people end up throwing the towels on the floor to try and keep it a little dryer and cleaner to step on, I was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to wait to hear reports from others to see if this is the new normal, or if I saw the Loch Ness Monster.
I've never seen them on any trip.
Perhaps a recent, fresh-and-contemporary innovation?

Frankly, to me they sound as useless and wasteful as the "amenity kit"--given that we can't count on any such thing being consistently available on Amtrak, so need to bring our own supplies anyway.
The disposable flip flops were part of the new meal roll out so yes it is fresh and contemporary.
Fresh and contemporary flip-flops? Do you have a photo you could share with the rest of us?
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/07/05-a-look-at-amtraks-new-cold-meal-service

foodgallery06.jpg
I don't think I would want to be caught dead wearing those...
default_unsure.png
default_ohmy.png
It does sorta look like something you'd see on Death Row.

I don't think Amtrak has ever in recent years provided any shampoo or conditioner (other than in the LSL and CL amenity kits), so I don't see think this is any surprise or demonstrative of inconsistency.
I don’t believe so either - in all my precious sleeper trips I have brought a travel shampoo container in my carry on bag to use so I never noticed if they provided any or not, but this trip I forgot to get one so i did look to see if Amtrak provided any and saw that they did not.

It does sorta look like something you'd see on Death Row.
Now that you mentioned it, perhaps it's what they wear on the long walk to the electric chair. I think they want bare ankles to hook up the electrode/anklets to enhance the shocking experience!

I hadn’t seen it either but until this trip, I had only been on the CONO which seems to be a world of its own. I came prepared but somehow, in my mind, I seemed to remember that someone (or ones) said they had access to shampoo and conditioner in some LD route. Mine wasn’t a complaint at all. I was very pleased with my journey, including the extra 8 hours I got.

Any time I've seen shampoo and conditioner it was put out as a courtesy by the SCA. I did have a trip or two where there was a bodywash/shampoo dispenser in the shower stall, but have not seen that in ages.

On my trip two months ago, there were packets of shampoo provided on the westbound California Zephyr, but not on the way back.

And even if Amtrak did reliably provide this stuff, because I have a sensitive scalp, I would still need to bring my own Head & Shoulders or Selsun Blue shampoo/conditioner. IMO, there are certain things which aren't really worth providing because individual people can have completely different needs and preferences for it.

Back