Sharing a sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegmund

Lead Service Attendant
Summing up briefly: I already have a sleeper booked from Whitefish to Seattle. Obviously I'm only using 1 of the 2 beds.

A friend is considering riding from Spokane to Seattle on the same train.

I know that there is no additional charge for having a second person in my room -- the 2nd person only has to pay the fare not the sleeper price -- but I seem to recall there is more to it than "just buy a coach ticket and have them walk to the sleeper with me."

Anybody done this, who can tell me what I have to do / what magic phrase to say to a reservation agent?

Summing up briefly: I already have a sleeper booked from Whitefish to Seattle. Obviously I'm only using 1 of the 2 beds.

A friend is considering riding from Spokane to Seattle on the same train.

I know that there is no additional charge for having a second person in my room -- the 2nd person only has to pay the fare not the sleeper price -- but I seem to recall there is more to it than "just buy a coach ticket and have them walk to the sleeper with me."

Anybody done this, who can tell me what I have to do / what magic phrase to say to a reservation agent?
You have to CALL and ask for an "Open Sleeper" ticket by paying the Rail Fare.( Some agents,especially the New Florida ones, wont know how to do this, so ask for a Supervisor or call back if they say one isn't available. )

The ticket will be issued as a Paper ticket ( like the Old Tickets) and must be picked up from a staffed Station with ID and Signed by you..Your Rez # will be the one referenced so they'll need info when calling.( I just returned today on my first Open Sleeper ticket trip in over 40 years of riding Amtrak)

It will not have the Room # ( Bedroom or Roomette ) and will be torn by the Conductor upon boarding, not scanned.

I was gathering from a forum search that Open Sleeper was the key phrase.

Re "and signed by me" - do you mean signed by the original reservation-maker, the person person paying for it, or the person picking it up and using it? (We'd be getting on at two different stations, one of us in the middle of the night - at least they are both staffed.)

I believe that he means that it must be signed for by the purchaser of the ticket. I shared a roomette with a friend to St. Louis in 2017 (I had a round-trip reservation; he was only traveling one way) and while he had to pick up the paper ticket at the station window, I was not asked to sign any of his paperwork.

You will need to buy an Open Ticket connected to your reservation through an agent (phone or in person). Your friend will need to pick up the paper ticket at a station.

I believe that he means that it must be signed for by the purchaser of the ticket. I shared a roomette with a friend to St. Louis in 2017 (I had a round-trip reservation; he was only traveling one way) and while he had to pick up the paper ticket at the station window, I was not asked to sign any of his paperwork.
This!!!

Back