Shoes on the train...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
Just curious if Amtrak has a policy against flip flops on the train... you would think going between cars, that would be just about as dangerous as running around barefoot. Never ceases to amaze me that people think they are on the beach in a train.

Have they set any restrictions on this? If they're gonna restrict the ice box and ice scoop from passengers because of sanitary reasons, perhaps they should restrict flip flops first?

Just curious if Amtrak has a policy against flip flops on the train... you would think going between cars, that would be just about as dangerous as running around barefoot. Never ceases to amaze me that people think they are on the beach in a train.
Have they set any restrictions on this? If they're gonna restrict the ice box and ice scoop from passengers because of sanitary reasons, perhaps they should restrict flip flops first?
They do not ban them, but I would say they're not very safe footwear for a train. If you go here, you will see Amtrak's policy.

Actually... flip flops do provide decent protection when walking in between cars, since they have a bottom. The danger walking bare-foot is that you bar skin would be pinched (pinched is really not a strong enough word in this case) within the diaphram plates (the actual point where the two cars meet and you walk from one car to another) as you walked through.

Now I still recomend more proper footwear... but flip flops do provide basic protection.

I used flip flops to go to the bathroom/shower. Unfortunately for me on my EB route, the toilets stopped working in our car so I had to go to the next. I did use flip flops, but when crossing between cars I made sure not to step on the joint just in case.

If you choose to wear shoes that give you no protection, I think it is a violation of your civil rights to force you keep yourself from being injured.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son and I wear sandals on board, but "proper" shoes when we get off for service stops. They've never said anything about them but the do make announcements about having to wear shoes when walking between cars.

I think high heels and platform shoes are the way to go when passing between cars, but you know me. :D :)

This trip I took both a pair of slippers for walking around the sleeper at night and my pair of steel-toed leather work boots. I've walked around the sleeper barefoot at night. Actually, I usually just grab a t-shirt in the Superliners if I have to go to the bathroom. I'd wake myself up too much getting fully dressed.

Although I'm glad I took those boots. Some fat guy stumbled backwards and stomped my foot by accident. I think it would have hurt if I had been wearing sneakers.

I thought "Shoes on the train" was the sequel to "Snakes on the plane". :unsure:

I always take two pairs of shoes with me...sneekers/tennis/trainers what ever you want to call them for safety and comfort and then I also take a pair of tippies/slippers/houseshoes what ever you want to call them for quick trips to the toilet or shower.

We had an SCA a couple of years back who "suggested" that we wear shoes at all times outside our bedroom. I have a pair of slippers with rigid soles that I use.

I usually wear a pair of converse or similar type shoes on the train; but that's probably because that's the sort of shoes i'd be wearing anyway.

I find they're comfortable enough to have on all day; but they aren't all that study at the toes, so kicking the "open" button too hard isn't wise :)

I think high heels and platform shoes are the way to go when passing between cars, but you know me. :D :)
I just about ONLY wear 3"+ platform "flipflops." Inasmuch as I've worn them for going on 10 years or more now, I have no trouble walking in them, keeping my balance, and navigating the space between the cars. I wore them on both the California Zephyr and the Empire Builder with no comments from crew and no difficulties. :cool:

I think you would look stunning in them! :lol: :lol:

I could just see it now, a lurch & there goes the ankle. :blink:
Platform shoes are ideal if you're standing outside the station waiting for the train. :D

I find that L.L. Bean moccasins fill the bill perfectly. Nobody even notices if you decide to breakfast with them on.
Unless, of course, they're all you're wearing. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back