Short day trip along the Hudson River

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadonatrain

Service Attendant
I might have a chance to take a short trip along the Hudson River from New York City and back, just to watch the scenery and the river from a train window. I know, I know, it sounds silly but I like to do that sometimes.

If I did it, how far from NYC would it make sense to ride and still have a chance to see the river scenery? All the way to Albany is not out of the question time wise, but maybe that would be farther than it’d be worth for what I have in mind. Or would the whole idea be a waste of time cuz I’d hardly actually see any of the river? Any and all comments and suggestions welcome, please. And TIA.

It depends on which train you are going to travel on.

Metro-North Railroad's Hudson Line is a commuter rail line running north from New York City along the east shore of the Hudson River. Metro-North service ends at Poughkeepsie, with Amtrak's Empire Corridor trains continuing north to and beyond Albany

If whatever train you would take doesn’t run into that mess from the collapsing building and put you on a bus, going to Albany, staying overnight (get a hotel that looks over the river and ask for a room on the river side), and coming back again the next day would be nice.

Or if that’s not an option, going to Poughkeepsie, having lunch, and coming back the same day would be nice, too, if there’s a train that gets back into New York City early enough to be safe.

Poughkeepsie is a lovely peaceful station with a great view of the river.

There is lovely river scenery much of the way, but remember that first the train has to get out of congested New York City. When I went to Albany, I didn’t really start to relax until Poughkeepsie.

If it's silly, then I'm silly, too. There's great scenery and, hey, it's a train ride.

If you get off at Poughkeepsie, you can walk a few blocks to the elevator to the Walkway Over the Hudson, which is a very high former railroad bridge converted to a pedestrian bridge that crosses the river. It's free.

Check the link above for the elevator hours. When it's not running, it's about a half mile walk inland to get to the stairs.

I've only gone as far as Poughkeepsie, so I don't know how the scenery north of there compares to what's south of it.

Back