Short Overnight Routes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short overnight trains are a nice thought, but the invention of the jet airplane spelled their doom. Why should a businessman spend a night on a train when he can get to his destination in an hour or two on a plane and eliminate any overnights away from home? Fast, daytime trains in the 400-500 mile range are the future of passenger railroading. Everything else is just a quaint remnant of earlier times.

Short overnight trains? Well, my first thought is the Montrealer.......
Ahhh.....the Montrealer! If it could return with the atmosphere it had in the ’70 and ’80. The “Le Pub” car filled with skiers out of Penn Station on a Friday evening......and on Sunday evening returning, the sleepers filled with those same skiers...hoping to get some rest before work on Monday.

It certainly had the reputation of a party train!

Short overnight trains are a nice thought, but the invention of the jet airplane spelled their doom. Why should a businessman spend a night on a train when he can get to his destination in an hour or two on a plane and eliminate any overnights away from home? Fast, daytime trains in the 400-500 mile range are the future of passenger railroading. Everything else is just a quaint remnant of earlier times.
People don't want to fly. And if you had to go 400-500 miles on a train, you'd rather an overnight than lose a whole day. The day train is more useful for intermediate traffic but if there isn't that much anyway, the overnight does make more sense. I doubt I would use Amtrak from PHL to PGH as a day train but probably would if it was overnight.

People don't want to fly. And if you had to go 400-500 miles on a train, you'd rather an overnight than lose a whole day. The day train is more useful for intermediate traffic but if there isn't that much anyway, the overnight does make more sense. I doubt I would use Amtrak from PHL to PGH as a day train but probably would if it was overnight.
What? Obviously there are people who fly (and the numbers bear that out), and fly these routes rather than take a train. The Los Angeles-San Francisco air corridor is the second busiest in the US. If there's anything that's going to substitute for medium-length air travel, it's going to be high-speed rail.

What? Obviously there are people who fly (and the numbers bear that out), and fly these routes rather than take a train. The Los Angeles-San Francisco air corridor is the second busiest in the US. If there's anything that's going to substitute for medium-length air travel, it's going to be high-speed rail.
OK I should have said there are people who don't want to fly.

Amtrak has been catering to the "afraid / really don't want to fly" crowd for a while now, and their inability to profit suggests that that's not working very well for them. On the other hand, there is a significant group of people who don't enjoy the hassle of security, getting to the airport hours early, etc., but don't take the train because of the enormous time expenditure. If these "short overnight" trains existed, I believe many people from the latter group would at least try Amtrak.

Regarding the Spirit of California, that report posted above looks pretty damning. With rising air/car fuel costs, increasing rail ridership, and cost cuts from the absence of a diner car, though, I think SF-LA is worth another try for an overnight.

Regarding the Spirit of California, that report posted above looks pretty damning. With rising air/car fuel costs, increasing rail ridership, and cost cuts from the absence of a diner car, though, I think SF-LA is worth another try for an overnight.
Eh, not really. Going to be hardly any intermediate traffic thanks to the poor hours and end-point travel is going to be extremely limited in competition with CAHSR as well as flying. And for those who want to cite business travel and early morning meetings: Travel time is compensable in the state of California, which would make it quite an expensive train trip indeed.

Eh, not really. Going to be hardly any intermediate traffic thanks to the poor hours and end-point travel is going to be extremely limited in competition with CAHSR as well as flying. And for those who want to cite business travel and early morning meetings: Travel time is compensable in the state of California, which would make it quite an expensive train trip indeed.
Whenever I've traveled on company business I was salaried. I was under the impression that most people on business travel are salaried. I'm not sure how many employers would allow someone to take something like a SF-LA train until there's HSR.

Personally I think that abandoning the idea of an overnight LA-SF train because of CAHSR is silly. After all, the time it would take to get such a train running is, unlike the timeframe for CAHSR, measured in years rather than decades.

Personally I think that abandoning the idea of an overnight LA-SF train because of CAHSR is silly. After all, the time it would take to get such a train running is, unlike the timeframe for CAHSR, measured in years rather than decades.
Amtrak sure isn't going to do it. If one really wants to do it, there's the 4768/768 combination, and that's available right now.

If there's going to be any issue, it would be whether or not Caltrain will play ball. The 4th and King Station is used as a de facto storage yard. It would probably also require state funding, and there's all the spending already done on HSR.

Easy way to do an overnight run from the Bay Area is just have the Zephyr make a left turn and carry on through to LA. The state priority now is a Coast Daylight, which would be an extension of the Surfliner to SF, leaving 3-4 hours earlier than the Starlight.

Easy way to do an overnight run from the Bay Area is just have the Zephyr make a left turn and carry on through to LA. The state priority now is a Coast Daylight, which would be an extension of the Surfliner to SF, leaving 3-4 hours earlier than the Starlight.
Easy but problematic. As it is, the Zephyr is the longest straight standalone train in the system in terms of hours in transit; throwing another leg on would invite further delays. This isn't to say that the idea doesn't have merit...it assuredly does, since it would allow Amtrak to consolidate LD ops on the West Coast into LA and Seattle, leaving Emeryville/Oakland as a strictly California base.

Given that the Daylight has taken decades, that's not necessarily so.

For CalDOT, the only outfit that can make the San Fran - LA overnight service happen, there are several other more pressing projects that need funding improvement before it plunges into the complexities of running a Sleeper train and what not. That is why we may wait quite a while more.

The Starlight and the Lark were combined in the 1950s so it is one train in my books. The ATSF might have had something but with a bus connection from Bakersfield.
Actually, the Starlight kept running for a relatively short while after they added coaches to the Lark, the trains weren't combined. They weren't one train, the Starlight was an independent train for its entire existence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Philly you're going to love this one. There was a crack all Pullman train from NYP-PHL-PGH. The Pittsburger it ran up until 1964. Even though I don't believe it was all Pullman at that point in time. It catered to the steel company executives that we're headed to and from New York. You're probably right on that Zephyr. I follow east coast trains, so west coast ones are out of my sphere of knowledge.

For CalDOT, the only outfit that can make the San Fran - LA overnight service happen, there are several other more pressing projects that need funding improvement before it plunges into the complexities of running a Sleeper train and what not. That is why we may wait quite a while more.
With the HSR line under construction, I can't see CalTrans pursuing or having any interest in leasing equipment and starting up an overnight SF-LA service with sleeper cars. Once a LA to SF HSR line opens with a circa 3 hour trip time, it will very quickly kill any end to end LA <-> SF market for a overnight sleeper service. Why make the investment and effort, given how long it takes to get anything started?(see Coast Daylight)

A Coast Daylight can survive or even add an additional (daytime) frequency as it provides service to the towns on the coast between LA and SF and becomes a feeder line to the HSR system to those traveling to stops on the HSR system & for that matter, the expanding transit systems in the Bay Area and LA.

With the HSR line under construction, I can't see CalTrans pursuing or having any interest in leasing equipment and starting up an overnight SF-LA service with sleeper cars. Once a LA to SF HSR line opens with a circa 3 hour trip time, it will very quickly kill any end to end LA <-> SF market for a overnight sleeper service. Why make the investment and effort, given how long it takes to get anything started?(see Coast Daylight)

A Coast Daylight can survive or even add an additional (daytime) frequency as it provides service to the towns on the coast between LA and SF and becomes a feeder line to the HSR system to those traveling to stops on the HSR system & for that matter, the expanding transit systems in the Bay Area and LA.
It's a question of timeframe. If CAHSR takes 20-30 years to happen, there would be enough time to buy the equipment, get a good service life out of it, and then drop the route (and perhaps sell the equipment to Amtrak or a third-party operator) after 20 years of operation and flip the slots to some sort of additional daytime service.

Of course what would make the most sense would be if UP would just allow two slots for the Tehachapi Loop for the San Joaquin. We know they'll never do it though.

Of course what would make the most sense would be if UP would just allow two slots for the Tehachapi Loop for the San Joaquin. We know they'll never do it though.
They don't actually have the right or ability to keep passenger trains off that route (or any other route). I assume they have a business case for whatever astronomical amount they would charge for it, though. And frankly? It's slow.

It's a question of timeframe. If CAHSR takes 20-30 years to happen, there would be enough time to buy the equipment, get a good service life out of it, and then drop the route (and perhaps sell the equipment to Amtrak or a third-party operator) after 20 years of operation and flip the slots to some sort of additional daytime service.
CAHSR isn't going to take that long to build up and fat chance convincing the state to spend $100M or more for a train that historically was a miserable failure and which has no reason for existence with HSR in the mix. Even with the idea of flipping to an additional Daylight slot, let's not forget that, in addition to CAHSR, California has three existing routes with large capital desires (some of which would provide a more immediate use for the coastal communities like the Salinas Capitol Corridor extension) and at least two more additional routes which have been long studied and which would rather get meaningful rail service (Sacramento-Redding and Coachella Valley-Los Angeles).

Quite frankly, I'm hard pressed to think of any rail project in the state which would have a lower priority or utility than a resurrected Spirit of California and I'm getting tired of seeing this foamer dream being constantly raised.

They don't actually have the right or ability to keep passenger trains off that route (or any other route). I assume they have a business case for whatever astronomical amount they would charge for it, though. And frankly? It's slow.
Everything I've read about it is that BNSF gets special permission to use it and that UP specifically doesn't allow for Amtrak to use it. I don't know if it would require some sort of agreement or whatnot, but Amtrak doesn't get to use it unless there's track work on the coast line.

Railroads are no longer required to allow Amtrak access to any line that had passenger service in 1970. That ability was lost with the expiration of the original 1970 act in 1996. They can refuse to allow access or charge whatever they deem necessary to make "improvements" to provide access, see UP's $800M demand to make the Sunset daily. That would not have been permissible while the original legislation was in effect. Now, UP can bar Amtrak from Tehachapi if it wants to, and it does. In general, that is a major reason why it is so difficult to resume service on a line once it has been lost.

BTW, BNSF has a trackage rights agreement with UP that is long-standing and dates from the late 1800s or early 1900s between SP and AT&SF. BNSF does not need "special permission" to operate over Tehachapi. The trackage rights were negotiated as part of the transfer of the line between Mojave and Needles from the SP to the Santa Fe. I understand now there is more BNSF traffic over Tehachapi than UP.

I found an image of a postcard. I think the caption is self-explanatory.

gw_sjdotl_s.jpg

Railroads are no longer required to allow Amtrak access to any line that had passenger service in 1970. That ability was lost with the expiration of the original 1970 act in 1996. They can refuse to allow access or charge whatever they deem necessary to make "improvements" to provide access, see UP's $800M demand to make the Sunset daily. That would not have been permissible while the original legislation was in effect. Now, UP can bar Amtrak from Tehachapi if it wants to, and it does. In general, that is a major reason why it is so difficult to resume service on a line once it has been lost.

BTW, BNSF has a trackage rights agreement with UP that is long-standing and dates from the late 1800s or early 1900s between SP and AT&SF. BNSF does not need "special permission" to operate over Tehachapi. The trackage rights were negotiated as part of the transfer of the line between Mojave and Needles from the SP to the Santa Fe. I understand now there is more BNSF traffic over Tehachapi than UP.
I bet that the State of California, if it really wanted it could get access for its trains on Tehachapi. They have enough leverage with UP and BNSF to make such things happen. But for now it is not clear that such access worth the number of chits they will have to cash in for it.

Back