Short Term Luggage Storage in New Orleans?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXEagle

Service Attendant
Does anyone have experience with short term luggage storage at the Amtrak station in New Orleans? I searched older posts and saw that the Magnolia room does not have a secure place to store luggage. Amtrak's website says that there's no baggage storage. I'll be flying into New Orleans early tomorrow morning and will have a few hours before my train. I was hoping to take the streetcar for a quick excursion, but it would be easier without dragging a suitcase behind me :)

Thanks!

NOL accepts checked Luggage so per Amtrak's Policy the standard daily luggage check rate of $4 a day per bag ( more in NYP and WAS) should be available with the Agents!

The Magnolia Room, nee Lounge, is small but is kept locked ( the agent gives you a code to enter) and I have seen many folks leave their luggage inside while they went to eat, sightsee etc,

I've done this myself and never had any problems! The Lounge is usually full waiting on LD Trains (Sunset 3 days a week/ Crescent/City of NOL),so it shouldn't be an issue, just don't leave valuables like laptops, cameras etc sitting out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Jim! I had planned to take the Texas Eagle north from Austin yesterday, connect with the Southwest Chief, pick up my friend Ward in Lawrence, Kansas and then we're heading on to LA and (hopefully) making the connection to the Coast Starlight. With the temporary bus running between Austin and Fort Worth, I decided to fly over to New Orleans tomorrow and take the City of New Orleans north instead. That's a train I've never had the occasion to ride. Since I haven't seen New Orleans since 1992, I was hoping to take a quick streetcar ride over to Cafe DuMonde and the see some of the French Quarter if there's time.

I always appreciate the helpful advice on this board!

Mark

Didn't someone say you can check in your luggage up to 24 hours early? Or does that vary by station?

edit: Well, thinking about it, your carry-on items may also be more than you want to lug around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can check your luggage quite early. But I have a roll-aboard that I want on the sleeper with me.

Good plan Mark! As we know being on I-35 in anything sucks! NOL is one of my favorites even for brief visits? The CONO route is basically roll across the swamps and Mississippi,have dinner, stop in Memphis, go to sleep. Wake up on Central Illinois, have Breakfast and roll into CHI early in the AM! The consist is the same as the Texas Eagle so you should feel @ home!

Have a great trip. Keep us posted!

Yes, I agree - I've read on here that the City of New Orleans lacks spectacular scenery, but it's got to be better than I35 through Texas!

I suppose your CONO will have 15 cars, 15 restless riders, 3 conductors, and 25 sacks of mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Thanks, Jim! I had planned to take the Texas Eagle north from Austin yesterday, connect with the Southwest Chief, pick up my friend Ward in Lawrence, Kansas and then we're heading on to LA and (hopefully) making the connection to the Coast Starlight. With the temporary bus running between Austin and Fort Worth, I decided to fly over to New Orleans tomorrow and take the City of New Orleans north instead. That's a train I've never had the occasion to ride. Since I haven't seen New Orleans since 1992, I was hoping to take a quick streetcar ride over to Cafe DuMonde and the see some of the French Quarter if there's time.

I always appreciate the helpful advice on this board!

Mark
Will you report back to us after your trip letting us know your findings on storing luggage for a few hours at the NOL station?

I have good intentions to write a short trip report about the entire journey (hopefully later this week). But due to a mechanical problem on my United Airlines flight from Austin to Houston (where I connected to another flight to New Orleans), I ended up arriving in New Orleans at 12:30 p.m. instead of 9:57 a.m. The cab driver got me to the train station shortly after 1:00 and so there was no time to leave the station and walk around before the 1:45 departure. That meant I didn't need to ask about luggage storage.

I did ask for the code to the Magnolia Room. I was told that it was full and to wait in the main hall. Not knowing when, or if, I'll be back at this station, I politely asked again for the code and said that I would be happy to stand if all the seats in the Magnolia Room were taken. The ticket agent gave me the code. The room was crowded, the meager refreshments depleted, and everything was basically a mess. It did look like the sort of place you could leave your luggage hanging around without incident, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back