Short Texas Eagle Ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sldispatcher

Train Attendant
My last Amtrak trip was the Coast Starlight from LAX to PDX Jan 09 in Bedroom.

Our group of 9, ages ranging from 5 to 70 decided to take a one day trip to Dallas from Marshall, Tx on the Texas Eagle as a new experience for several family members. We decided to stay the night in Marshall at a new Holiday Inn Express that was quite nice. I would highly recommend it.

I was shocked at the number of people gathered at the depot. I believe over 30 were boarding the westbound #21 in the cold chilly air. I had checked to see the progress of the Eagle and it was going to be just a few minutes behind. A northbound Z train eased through town followed by an autorack that eased by on the main and then came to a stop. I figured it would be meeting 21 and sure enough, it did.

As the train rounded, the corner, the excitement was building. Marshall is a crew change point. Seemed like the engineers were in no rush to make that swap! I'm thinking,...okay, you are late, you are obviously shooting the breeze...and it is a two stop town...sleepers have the first spot..then finally, the train moved up for the spotting of the coach cars. Boarding was in the first of 3 coaches....one beyond San Antonio passenger was boarded in the last coach.

We were courteous and let others board before us...which was a mistake....only found 4 coach seats unoccupied...for all 9 of us. Wasn't a big deal as we were going to camp out in the Lounge Car. The cars were FILTHY.

I mean FILTHY. The car smelled like urine (probably a spilled beer)

Employees were not very nice. The lounge car attendant was quite surly.

Windows were dirty, chairs were well worn in the Lounge car.

Needless to say, some in our group were merely at a "tolerating" stage of the trip.

The tracks were, for the most part, quite smooth except around a few turnouts for sidings and a couple of rough bumps. The lounge car itself is more quiet and smooth riding than the PPC was on the Coast Starlight.

We made very good time and track speed until just about 3 miles from Miller Junction outside of Dallas. There we creeped along from REd board to red board following a freight train. We eventually passed the freight before sliding into DAllas Union Station with a few minutes to spare.

We made this a public transportation trip. So we boarded DART and headed over to the Westin City Center that I had gotten for $65 a night on Priceline. The Pearl Street Station essentially drops you off at the hotel.

Easy check in then back to the DART to go over the City Place stop and board the trolley for a lunch stop.

The next day was very cold and windy with rain. We still rode over to Fair Park and hit a couple of museums before heading back to Union Station. (There is an ice skating rink inside the WEstin that helped kill a little of time)

#22 was a just a little behind schedule. I was watching the arrival time updates and headed to the platfrom in front of the crowd. We only had to stand out for about 4 minutes before the EAgle arrived.

We had an easier time finding seats (last coach this time), but immediately headed tot he Lounge car to stake our seats.

We deaparted quickly and made good time. In-laws, wife and I had dinner in the diner...their burgers were okay....my steak was about airline quality....about expected. I actually like the seating in the CCC. There was more room in the tables to sit. This train was cleaner (probably same consist) than the previous day. Train seemed packed in coach again.

Server was pleasant, but a little slow. The man to pay the bill took FOREVER as there was some concern about whether a fellow had problems with bacon on his burger or not...good grief.

It helped pass the time.

Just outside of Longview, we had to come to a stop for 30 minutes for a "broken freight train" ahed of us. No PA in the upper level of the lounge. No scanner this trip :(

We zipped along finally to Marshall and detrained.

Overall, a "good" experience if one likes trains and would be glad to elaborate for anyone on any particular topic.

I will say this. I am a fairly seasoned traveler. I feel very sorry for Amtrak. It is caught as a political tool on BOTH SIDES and it is painfully obvious.

I could rail on and on..but the trip report side is not the place to do it.....

Thanks for the trip report! I ride this train pretty often (like 8-10 times ayear), ever since it started runn ing through with the City of New Orleans it appears that the cleaning crews in CHI and or NOL are not doing their job! :eek: The Eagle has always gotten the old,tired equipment so thats not ideal but it used to be clean, there are lots of very friendly and experienced crew members that work this route, just like any other job a few duds or even rude a**holes! :angry:

I suggest you contact Amtrak customer relations, call, dont e-mail, with all you trip info, they are excellent @ following through, you probably will get a voucher for future travel! ;) This train, along with all the other LD trains seems to be really experiencing increasing and even full ridership, I ve heard reports of pax having to ride in the lounge to FTW or SAS because the train was so full, and the buckets are HIGH,HIGHER,HIGHEST for the foreseeable future! :eek: Please dont hesitate to contact them, this helps you and everyone else that rides Amtrak! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back