Short transfer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning to take the Boston to Orlando train with my son. I just noticed the layover in Washington is only 37 min...is this a safe amount of time?? It's the only train going that route, that I can see since I wasn't given any other options.

Thanks!

I am planning to take the Boston to Orlando train with my son. I just noticed the layover in Washington is only 37 min...is this a safe amount of time?? It's the only train going that route, that I can see since I wasn't given any other options.

Thanks!
Are the 2 segments on the same ticket so that Amtrak is guaranteeing the connection? Is your train from Boston an Acela? Normally, Amtrak does not guarantee connections that tight. However, since there is only one train between NY and Florida daily, things may be different.

Only the Silver Star is running now and it connects with very few trains. On the other hand, the Silver Meteor, which may not start running again until 10/3, connects with many trains. I, personnaly, had to change a reservation and spend the night in NYC in order to get to Chicago in early October because the expected return of the Silver Meteor was delayed until after the date of my reservation.

Are the 2 segments on the same ticket so that Amtrak is guaranteeing the connection? Is your train from Boston an Acela? Normally, Amtrak does not guarantee connections that tight. However, since there is only one train between NY and Florida daily, things may be different.

Only the Silver Star is running now and it connects with very few trains. On the other hand, the Silver Meteor, which may not start running again until 10/3, connects with many trains. I, personnaly, had to change a reservation and spend the night in NYC in order to get to Chicago in early October because the expected return of the Silver Meteor was delayed until after the date of my reservation.
Thanks for the reply!

I assume it's one ticket. I searched Boston to Orlando & this trip was the only one showing. It's the Northeast then Silver Star.

I tried a dummy booking for BOS-ORL. The only option I got was the one you described. This would be a guaranteed connection, which doesn’t necessarily mean you will make it, but just that Amtrak will take care of you if you miss it.

If it’s an option, there are better connection available with longer layover times on weekdays; the one you saw was based on weekend NE Regional and Acela departures. There is a 6am Acela departure with a 1 hour+ layover at NYP — that should be pretty safe. There is also a 6:15 NER departure with a 57 minute layover at WAS, also reasonably safe.

I booked the resort a while ago & was hoping airfare would come down. I never even thought about the train until now. In order to do the train, we'd need to leave on a Sunday b/c the resort is non-refundable. If we enjoy the long trip, next time I will plan that part better lol.

So, if you misconnect on a “Guaranteed Connection” in this case, what is the most likely way Amtrak would “ take care of you”?
Would they fly you to your destination, or somewhere to catch your missed train? Or would they provide food and lodging until the next day’s train, which hopefully would have the same type of accommodation you booked?

Would they reimburse you for missing day(s) at your destination resort?

Probably a good idea to have travel insurance in this case…

Longest layover time and easiest transfer on a weekend would be Acela 2249 6:05am from BOS arriving Newark,NJ at 10:16am, and Silver Star 91 from NWK at 1122am.

66 minutes and likely same platform transfer at Newark on Tracks 3 & 4, no time wasted going to a concourse and back, no Gate Dragons to waste more time like at New York, Philly, or Washington.

You could also leave Boston the prior night on train 65/67, take Business class, likely a 60-seat Amcoach-1 to WAS, make a very safe connecion, and save a hotel bill. Business Class Regional is usually cheaper than Acela.

So, if you misconnect on a “Guaranteed Connection” in this case, what is the most likely way Amtrak would “ take care of you”?
Would they fly you to your destination, or somewhere to catch your missed train? Or would they provide food and lodging until the next day’s train, which hopefully would have the same type of accommodation you booked?

Would they reimburse you for missing day(s) at your destination resort?

Probably a good idea to have travel insurance in this case…
It depends on how late the incoming train is. If it’s only going to miss by a short time, the connecting train can be held (this also is more likely if there are multiple pax making that connection). For OPs connection the Star has an extended stop in DC anyway, so they’d likely hold it an extra 10-15 minutes if necessary.

Barring that, there is often an alternate train itinerary that can be booked (probably does not apply in OPs case though). It may be possible for them to arrange a bus to catch up to the missed train further down the line. If that is not possible, as a last resort they will provide food and lodging for the night and book the passengers who missed their connection on the next day’s train.

I could be wrong but I’m not aware of Amtrak booking flights for missed connections. I also highly doubt they would compensate for the money spent on accommodations at the destination.

While you should likely be okay with your connection, there is a connection-free option available if driving a bit is possible for you. You could book the Auto Train for the same Sunday that you were looking at for the Star. It would involve about an 8.5 hour drive from Boston to Lorton VA, though.

The upside is that you would save money by not needing a rental car once you get there (If that was something you had planned on doing).

Obviously if you don’t drive and/or don’t own a car, you can ignore this post.

It depends on how late the incoming train is. If it’s only going to miss by a short time, the connecting train can be held (this also is more likely if there are multiple pax making that connection). For OPs connection the Star has an extended stop in DC anyway, so they’d likely hold it an extra 10-15 minutes if necessary.
Looking more closely at the ASMAD data, of the 5 misses, one had the Star leaving 2 minutes after the NER arrival; that may have actually been a successful connection. Of the other 4, 1 missed by just 5 minutes, and the remaining 3 by 10-22 minutes. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Looking more closely at the ASMAD data, of the 5 misses, one had the Star leaving 2 minutes after the NER arrival; that may have actually been a successful connection. Of the other 4, 1 missed by just 5 minutes, and the remaining 3 by 10-22 minutes. I'm not sure what to make of that.
Maybe no one on those trains were connecting to 91.

Back