Shortened Single-Level LD Consists

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they assigning seats in coach now? Has been a while since I've been anywhere but business class or higher. Too many AGR points....
On LD trains, some coach attendants assign seats based on destination, usually for the convenience of both the crew and passengers. If you're going all the way NYP-MIA for example, you wouldn't want to be put with passengers only going from two midpoints in the middle of the night, waking you up with luggage, doors, and such. It also helps the crew manage who is getting off where to not have any paassengers miss their stops.

I was on the Cardinal this week, and the train was completely sold out—sleepers and coaches. We only had two coaches in the consist.
My Cardinal next month is sold out in the sleeper, coach was at 50% last time I checked I believe. Give the Cardinal a 2nd (VII) sleeper!!!

On LD trains, some coach attendants assign seats based on destination, usually for the convenience of both the crew and passengers. If you're going all the way NYP-MIA for example, you wouldn't want to be put with passengers only going from two midpoints in the middle of the night, waking you up with luggage, doors, and such. It also helps the crew manage who is getting off where to not have any paassengers miss their stops.

That's what happened when I took the Silver Meteor from RVR-ORL nearly 4 years ago. One of the coach attendants asked me what my destination was and he directed me to the appropriate coach car.

Saw the Meteor today in Deland. It still has only two coaches (plus 3 sleepers, cafe, diner, bag). However bringing up the rear were 5 deadheading VII coaches. Presumably going to Hialeah for service and then added to Silver Service - said he hopefully.

Saw the Meteor today in Deland. It still has only two coaches (plus 3 sleepers, cafe, diner, bag). However bringing up the rear were 5 deadheading VII coaches. Presumably going to Hialeah for service and then added to Silver Service - said he hopefully.
Those may be the five AIIs that were sitting at Lorton forever :)

I believe the Chief is still shortened as well (6 cars 2 service, 2 sleepers, 2 coach)

Back