Should Amtrak allow smoking again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But unlike alcohol which is a high profit item that can be sold to a lot of people in a short time (to both addicts and mostly, non-addicted), nicotine gum is something that only an addict would need but likely already have and if they didn't, one package would be enough - and they could be shared.
Exactly. Alcohol is something that many people drink, but aren't addicted to. The gum would only be for addicts, and I don't think it would look good on them for selling it.

But unlike alcohol which is a high profit item that can be sold to a lot of people in a short time (to both addicts and mostly, non-addicted), nicotine gum is something that only an addict would need but likely already have and if they didn't, one package would be enough - and they could be shared.
Well, it's not like a few boxes of nicotine gum would take up a whole lot of space in the cafe car, and there are people who might run out or just noot be particularly organized, so it might be good to have it available, or the other passengers will have to deal with the second-hand fumes at the "fresh air" stops. Obviously, this is not going to be a major revenue stream for Amtrak, but it would make the journey more pleasant for both smokers and non-smokers.

Well, it's not like a few boxes of nicotine gum would take up a whole lot of space in the cafe car, and there are people who might run out or just noot be particularly organized, so it might be good to have it available, or the other passengers will have to deal with the second-hand fumes at the "fresh air" stops. Obviously, this is not going to be a major revenue stream for Amtrak, but it would make the journey more pleasant for both smokers and non-smokers.
And do you think that people will be fine with Amtrak basically promoting the bad habit? I saw someone be annoyed at them calling fresh air stops "smoke breaks", I doubt having nicotine on board would help.

And do you think that people will be fine with Amtrak basically promoting the bad habit? I saw someone be annoyed at them calling fresh air stops "smoke breaks", I doubt having nicotine on board would help.
What "bad habit?" Chewing gum? I know our K-12 teachers told us that chewing gum was a distasteful thing to do and banned it in class, I don't think we need to go and ban gum-chewing on Amtrak trains.

Though nicotine is the addictive substance in tobacco, the bad health effects come from the other stuff in the smoke that smokers (and bystanders) inhale. So it really makes sense to encourage and enable a nicotine-addicted smoker to deal with his or her addiction by ingesting their nicotine in a form that doesn't endanger the health of other passengers.

What "bad habit?" Chewing gum? I know our K-12 teachers told us that chewing gum was a distasteful thing to do and banned it in class, I don't think we need to go and ban gum-chewing on Amtrak trains.
Talking about the nicotine.

Of course, that is assuming that a smoker would "want" to use the gum instead of smoking. Many smokers I have to work around would never use the gum ... they want to actually smoke ... not chew gum.

Also, since Amtrak sells alcohol and nicotine gum is being suggested, what about those addicted to prescription drugs? Are we going to stop at drug stores or sell prescription drugs on board? (funny how this was passed over in the discussion about gum)

...Also, since Amtrak sells alcohol and nicotine gum is being suggested, what about those addicted to prescription drugs? Are we going to stop at drug stores or sell prescription drugs on board? (funny how this was passed over in the discussion about gum)

A good example of a "Whataboutism" argument. ;)

Of course, that is assuming that a smoker would "want" to use the gum instead of smoking. Many smokers I have to work around would never use the gum ... they want to actually smoke ... not chew gum.

Also, since Amtrak sells alcohol and nicotine gum is being suggested, what about those addicted to prescription drugs? Are we going to stop at drug stores or sell prescription drugs on board? (funny how this was passed over in the discussion about gum)
Why all this pushback about having a few packs of nicotine gum available for sale in the cafe car? You'd think I was suggesting that Amtrak sell weed and cocaine on board! Nicotine gm is perfectly legal and doesn't require a prescription, and doesn't take up much space. And if it helps people to not smoke, having it available helps everyone on board.

I'm actually in support of selling the nicotine gum onboard, but then I think tobacco smoking (including vaping) in public should be outlawed completely. No second-hand smoke, please. If selling the gum in the cafe reduced the rate of smoking at the stations, it would help.

Back