Should I Modify My Reservation? Three Passengers to Two Passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
I currently have a NYP>ROC reservation (and a separate return) on the LSL in the H-Room at the low bucket rate. The reservation shows three passengers but will in reality have only two passengers traveling. The third passenger will not be able to take the trip.

If the reservation is "modified" would I be able to maintain the low bucket pricing and get a credit for the third passenger? I certainly do not want to jeopardize the pricing aspect of this reservation. We are talking about a $55.25 credit (each way). I am more than willing to lose that credit if the pricing is recalculated at a higher level. If the reservation is not modified can I assume there will not be an issue when the two passengers board with a reservation showing three passengers?

You shouldn't have a problem. All you are doing is modifying the rail fare. That fare is not based on the amount of people traveling. Additionally, you have an accommodation which generally (unless something changed) qualifies you for the lowest rail fare.

I know it may be advantageous to modify your reservation, but I just wanted to chime in, in case you decide not to.

I have traveled alone on a reservation for two, and there was absolutely no issue at all. When the conductor asked for the other person, I just said "he didn't come." No other questions asked.

(FYI, the reservation was made for two, to allow decisions to be made at the last minute. It was points and AGR1, so cost was not an issue).

Thanks for all the input. Modification day will be after Labor Day in order to receive an evoucher. Also, the no-show passenger was traveling on a senior fare. The mobility challenged person (my 92 year old mother) is accompanying me to a family wedding.

Back