Should I try overnight coach again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPATrainTraveler

Service Attendant
This is the question I have been asking myself ever since my first, and so far only, LD trip back in 2018. While there were things I enjoyed, such as the scenery and the cafe car food, I got almost no sleep and experienced some motion sickness too. I was fully recovered the day after I arrived at my destination, but I did miss out on seeing things I wanted to see on the day I arrived due to sleeping the rest of the day and night away in my hotel room. After that experience, I cancelled my CL + NER tickets and used an airline ticket I had purchased previously (I originally intended to fly both ways and even bought tickets. I never cancelled them just in case my Amtrak plan didn't work out) to get home instead. I swore off LD trains for awhile after that and told myself that I would only ride Amtrak's short or medium distance routes from then on. As time passed, I have been wanting to give Amtrak LD trains another chance. Thing is, I can't comfortably afford a sleeper, so I'm stuck with Coach (or BC too on trains that offer it) if I want to ride Amtrak LD. I often think that if I take some Dramamine before boarding (maybe only half a tablet so I don't immediately fall asleep) and bring a neck pillow I could do overnight coach again and not have the same problems as last time. But what if I'm wrong and I end up sleep deprived and motion sick again?

What do you all think? Should I give overnight Amtrak LD coach another try or should I just stick to flying for long distance journeys and wait until I can comfortably afford a sleeper to ride Amtrak LD again?

A lot of the contributors here are pretty dedecated to using a sleeper for overnights, so I doubt that you will get much of a "yes" to overnight in coach.
I agree that one can loose out by being tired after a night in coach, that brain fog can spoil the excitement of the trip, and make one not enjoy the scenery as much as if one is fully refreshed.

Maybe one overnight might be worth a try, you know now what to expect, so maybe rest up as much as possible the day before your trip, sleep as much as possible, and give it a try. I don't know about "sleeping pills", but I find a slug or two of an adult beverage helps me sleep, and even if I don't drop off, Hey! it's party time! :D (Yes I know, it's just a joke!...)

It really comes down to "Can you get at least 5 or 6 hours of sleep in coach?" If you can change the answer to "Maybe I could" then I would say try it again. But it you don't think you will be able to get a decent amount of sleep, it probably isn't worth it. I liked taking a small pillow and a small blanket, both of which end up getting stuffed into the corner of the SSL bench seat. Yeah, I was one of the "Lounge lizards" but I do my best to arrive no earlier than 10pm and leave before 6am. That was the only way I could sleep more than 30 minutes nonstop on an Amtrak trip.
I do MUCH better with a Roomette but they are TOO DARNED expensive for a lot of people. They sure were when I was younger.

As Eddie said you might want to try it for One night, and if you have the time, break up your trip into Multi-City Legs and spend a Night in a Nice Hostel ( there are some real nice ones in the US)or Inexpensive Inn( Google is your friend).

I just completed my first LD Amtrak Trip in over a Year, went in Sleeper, returned in Coach( overnight, 12 Hour Trip).

I had the same experience you did, and I've been riding Amtrak for 50 years both in Coach and Sleepers. At my age, dont think Overnight Coach works for me anymore unless I broke up the trip with Layovers like I suggested.

A few LD Trains have Biz Class, but it's really just a less Crowded Coach with Bottled Water, so probably not worth the Upgrade for Overnight.

Fly if you cant afford Roomettes right now, I'm flying both ways on my next trip to New York/ BWI to see the new Train Hall @ NYP( from Austin) RT on SWA,then ride Acela FC ( with Upgrade Coupon) NYP-BWI, then flying home from BWI.($250 RT)

What do you all think? Should I give overnight Amtrak LD coach another try or should I just stick to flying for long distance journeys and wait until I can comfortably afford a sleeper to ride Amtrak LD again?

I'd say if you can take Amtrak coach on a trip where losing the next day won't be a big deal, I'd give it a try again. It sounds like you have some strategies that may be able to mitigate the issue somewhat, and you won't know for sure until you try it again with those ideas for making the trip workable. I wouldn't do it on a trip where being ready to go the next day is essential, but if you have a trip where if need be you can take a nap upon arrival at your destination lodging I'd say it's worth trying again.

For my first train travel in 14.5 months, I'm going to be riding in coach for a night and a half. (Arriving in Yuma AZ about 3AM). If I had enough AGR points, I would have booked a Roomette. With the 50% booking restriction on coach cars, I'll have 2 seats to try to sleep in with no worry that anyone will be joining me in the middle of the night. I'll be eating breakfast in Sacramento and my dinner near LAUS at Phillippes.

I wish I could go to Phillipes again. I arrived at 9am off the Sunset Limited and went there with a friend before I took the Coast Starlight. I misunderstood the counter person, I thought she said I had to order breakfast, no French Dip available at that time. So I had a mundane breakfast and lost my chance to have a Phillipes wet French Dip Roast Beef Sandwich. Woe is me. LOL!

For my first train travel in 14.5 months, I'm going to be riding in coach for a night and a half. (Arriving in Yuma AZ about 3AM). If I had enough AGR points, I would have booked a Roomette. With the 50% booking restriction on coach cars, I'll have 2 seats to try to sleep in with no worry that anyone will be joining me in the middle of the night. I'll be eating breakfast in Sacramento and my dinner near LAUS at Phillippes.

Once I found the right neck pillow for me, LD in coach became easily doable. I also use a CPAP machine. With that said, I do pony up for a roomette when the price is right for me.

My wife is lucky. She can sleep under just about any scenario.

Be sure and try to get a seat away from the Stairs and the doors so you can avoid the noise and lights. Seats in the 40s are usually where I try to ride in Coach.( an eye shade and ear plugs help also, and remember you have to Wear your Mask @ All Times!

The New Blue Night Lighting helps and the Coach Attendant is supposed to turn off the Bright Lights on the Overheads after 10pm.

If they dont, ask the Conductor to help. We had to do this on the Sunset #2 last week to make it Dark enough to Sleep.

Since I have no idea which train(s) you may be taking. Riding coach in a Viewliner and a Superliner may not have the same effect on you - only you would know that.

I am older and can sleep just fine on coach - not sure those around me like the "chain saw running all night" - but at least I can sleep. The motion doesn't bother me.

Is there really a difference between Amfleet 2 and Superliner coaches? I've ridden Amfleet 2 coaches overnight, but have only ridden Superliner coaches for short rides. They both seem to be equally spacious for coach seats and both have curtains over the windows. Certainly nicer than an Amfleet 1 or Horizon coach, though those are fine if you don't need to sleep. I've taken Amfleet 1 coaches all the way to Boston, a 7-hour ride. Sure, I'd rather take the Acela first class, but I only do that with coupons or points.

For sleeping, there's really little difference between an Amfleet 2 and the 2-1 business class cars, based on my experience on the Silver Star and #67. Well, maybe the 2-1 business class car give you a sporting chance of snagging a single seat and not having to deal with a seatmate, but that's not guaranteed.

Some people purchase Nyquil or other over the counter sleep aides. These are packed with antihistamines and do have their own side effects and reactions, mainly drowsiness to help you sleep. Another aide, thought radical, is to go to your doctor and ask for a prescription for ambien. This can be a powerful sedative for sleep, but it has side effects as well. Sleep walking amongst them. But, you can count on probably 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I took one, once. Prior to a flight from Santiago to Miami, I took one about 30 minutes before boarding. I barely remember boarding the flight, but don't remember the 2 hour delay we had on the plane. I woke up when we landed in Miami, refreshed and no drowsiness. I won't take it again because if there had been an emergency, I probably wouldn't have been able to care for myself. Try these a few days before you travel and discover how you react. It was very good advice to break your trip up, travel during the day and hotel at night. This,, however, will add to the cost of the trip so compare this cost with that of getting a roomette. I booked a roomette on the Sunset Limited from Los Angeles to New Orleans (two nights), and slept like a log. I opted to keep the bed configuration and layed in bed all day and read, watched the scenery, even a few power naps. I hope you can work out anxieties. Never deny yourself a trip on a train.

Some people purchase Nyquil or other over the counter sleep aides. These are packed with antihistamines and do have their own side effects and reactions, mainly drowsiness to help you sleep. Another aide, thought radical, is to go to your doctor and ask for a prescription for ambien. This can be a powerful sedative for sleep, but it has side effects as well. Sleep walking amongst them. But, you can count on probably 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I took one, once. Prior to a flight from Santiago to Miami, I took one about 30 minutes before boarding. I barely remember boarding the flight, but don't remember the 2 hour delay we had on the plane. I woke up when we landed in Miami, refreshed and no drowsiness. I won't take it again because if there had been an emergency, I probably wouldn't have been able to care for myself. Try these a few days before you travel and discover how you react. It was very good advice to break your trip up, travel during the day and hotel at night. This,, however, will add to the cost of the trip so compare this cost with that of getting a roomette. I booked a roomette on the Sunset Limited from Los Angeles to New Orleans (two nights), and slept like a log. I opted to keep the bed configuration and layed in bed all day and read, watched the scenery, even a few power naps. I hope you can work out anxieties. Never deny yourself a trip on a train.
Melatonin is a Natural Body Produced product, so taking it as a Sleep Aid is probably better than a Drug.( since Smoking is illegal on Amtrak, one can't "Bogart a Joint" before Sleep! ( Hey, its 4/20!!!!!)

Until late May you are guaranteed both seats to yourself. That's the only way I would do Coach overnight. I usually leave from Harrisburg and get a roomette west out of Chicago. Boarding the Capitol Limited at Midnight in Pittsburgh and taking Coach is not terrible since half the night is gone and every time I've done Coach I've always had both seats.

I’d consider Dramamine, a small amount. I think you should try 1 tablet before you go to bed and see if you feel alert-in the morning before trying it on the train. I’ve seen people think if one works two are better. They are usually worthless the next day.

I have taken Coach from CLE to Boston and CLE to DC in the last few years and really didn’t have any issues. My return trip from DC was crowded, but they allowed me to hang out in the lounge as long as I acknowledged that I would be back in my seat before my destination. My initial trip to DC felt like I had a private car with only 8 or so people until we reached Harper’s Ferry, so I was super relaxed.

I think it is important to take a pillow and a blanket. If you do that, you should be able to get some rest on your trip. If not, prepare to be cold and tired.

Another aide, thought radical, is to go to your doctor and ask for a prescription for ambien. This can be a powerful sedative for sleep, but it has side effects as well. Sleep walking amongst them. But, you can count on probably 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
Well, not for me. I had a flight scheduled--some time back--to Australia and I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep in coach without help. So I got my doctor to prescribe Ambien. He suggested that I wait till after the dinner was served out of LA, then take one and put on an eyeshade. So...I did and after about an hour eye-shaded and no evidence of sleep coming, I ended up watching movies for a few hours. The flight attendants kindly brought me ice cream but it didn't make up for lack of sleep. Some of us just have a harder time sleeping sitting up than others, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I would give it another try. I'm someone who has trouble sleeping in coach, but on any train I've been on, it seems like at least 95% of people are asleep between midnight and 6 a.m. So it seems like a good majority of people are able to learn to sleep on the train.

A few years ago, I saw a passenger sleeping in the overhead luggage rack of No. 48. Don't know how he got up there, and he looked to be at least 60 years old. (I do not recommend this!)

I’d consider Dramamine, a small amount. I think you should try 1 tablet before you go to bed and see if you feel alert-in the morning before trying it on the train. I’ve seen people think if one works two are better. They are usually worthless the next day.
I tried that and I wanted to sleep all day afterward

Back