Should we say "good riddance" to the Acela 1s?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FRA T3 which normally only allows 125mph in mixed traffic but the NEC has 160mph wavers. The valaro Novas to be used by brightline west are T3. CAHSR will get T3 rolling stock as well
More accurately FRA T3 is allowed to operate intermingled with FRA T1, which would per force be beow 125mph since FRA T1 is not allowed to operate above 125mph.

FRA T3 is under normal circumstances not allowed to operate intermingled with FRA T2 above 125 mph unless a special testing and risk assessment program leading to a waiver happens. That is what has happened on the NEC.

Incidentally, I hear that structurally the Venture cars are T3 compliant. They can potentially be certified at upto 150mph or so. Some versions in Europe operate at such speeds.

Then again, any operation above 125mph requires a special FRA dispensation anyway.

More accurately FRA T3 is allowed to operate intermingled with FRA T1, which would per force be beow 125mph since FRA T1 is not allowed to operate above 125mph.
I'll add or T1 alt (Modern euro standard)
FRA T3 is under normal circumstances not allowed to operate intermingled with FRA T2 above 125 mph unless a special testing and risk assessment program leading to a waiver happens. That is what has happened on the NEC.
Theres only 1 T2 unit ACELA and I doubt anymore using that standard will be made
Incidentally, I hear that structurally the Venture cars are T3 compliant. They can potentially be certified at upto 150mph or so. Some versions in Europe operate at such speeds
150mph Ventures and ACS-64/Vectrons would be a funny way to start CAHSR

Yes, this happens in the UK, with a number of veteran electric locomotives being kept at the Barrow Hill roundhouse, some of them in operational and certified condition. The inconvenience is that they have to be towed somewhere, even for testing, but it's doable.

That said, seeing nobody even managed to keep an AEM-7 as an operational engine, I don't think there is a case to keep an Acela set.

Caltrain has 2 working AEM-7s! They are going to use them for electrification testing

I think the Acelas are remarkably un-aerodynamic, with those boxes on the roof at both ends of the cars. The power cars aren't bad; maybe one of them should end up in a museum.
I am sure that one or two will find a place in some museum somewhere.

But then I had been expecting more enthusiasm when the AEM-7s went, with more museums wanting to get one. Even if only to leave them outside to decay slowly, which sadly is the fate of so many museum pieces.

I suppose nothing can replace the type of excitement the GG-1s caused when they were withdrawn, with every museum worth mentioning having managed to get one, including some museums far far away from the NEC.

But then I had been expecting more enthusiasm when the AEM-7s went, with more museums wanting to get one. Even if only to leave them outside to decay slowly, which sadly is the fate of so many museum pieces.
For example, at RR Museum of PA in East Strasburg, taken in 2019. Although I suppose it could be worse.20190526_141026.jpg

For example, at RR Museum of PA in East Strasburg, taken in 2019. Although I suppose it could be worse.View attachment 31634
Well that's one they could get in working order and run excusions with it being pulled by a Strasburg RR steam engine from the museum to Paradise where it can get under category and run. They'll need to get a complete trainset of Amfleet 1s, though, and have the interior redone to what it was in the 1990s for a real authentic experience.

Well that's one they could get in working order and run excusions with it being pulled by a Strasburg RR steam engine from the museum to Paradise where it can get under category and run. They'll need to get a complete trainset of Amfleet 1s, though, and have the interior redone to what it was in the 1990s for a real authentic experience.
Strasburg are very good at doing overhauls on steam engines, but I doubt they have the technical know-how or staff to overhaul an electric to a standard that would be acceptable on the main line. The job would probably have to be contracted out to Amtrak and this would probably be very costly. Any excursion runs would need to recover this money, and the question is, is there enough demand to sell that many tickets, not just on a one-off excursion but sufficiently often until costs are recovered?

Back