Shower access in coach L/D?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamling

Hello all. I am taking the train out of CHI to SAC, and I was wondering if any one has tried to get access to the sleeper compartment showers while they have a coach ticket. (I can't afford 700-1000$ just for what amounts to a bunk bed and a shower !). My trip is very low budget, and I was wondering if I could ask the conductor if I could borrow the shower, even though i don't have a compartment?

Thanks for any help

In a word, No!

Only Sleeping Car passengers with tickets are allowed into the Sleepers where the Showers are located!

There are several Restrooms downstairs in the Superliner Coaches (Bi-Level) where you can Wash up,change clothes, brush your teeth etc.. You also might want to take Handi-Wipes,a wash cloth and small towel and some soap to wash up!

Sometimes you can find Roomettes @_a cheaper price midway in the trip. Chicago to Sacramento is a 2_Day/2 Night Trip with an overnight between Chicago and Denver, and another night in Utah to Reno.

Remember, meals in the Diner are included in the Sleeping Car fare. So if you could find a Roomette overnight say from Denver,Glennwood Springs or Grand Junction to Sacramento, or Salt Lake City to Sacramento for a good price ,it would be worth it! ( say $200)

My past adventures in coach I've done the sponge bath, reapply deodorant, clean clothes and do not pass go go directly to the showers on arrival. Hot showers are unfortunately not a reality for coach class.

Persistence is key in getting a low price sleeper. I snagged one last night for a trip in under a month because I've been watching and hoping for a price drop for the last few months. Amsnag could be quite useful if your dates are flexible. You may well find that a day sooner or later will drop the price in half. I did see several fares for the whole length in a sleeper for $300 upgrade charge when I plugged in some random dates in November.

Being left to sit in your own filth for days on end without access to soap or a shower is the kind of disgusting existence you'd expect from a third world hovel. Unfortunately on Amtrak coach passengers are still forbidden from entering the showers and are stuck with a commercial grade artificially scented liquid detergent that does a poor job of body cleaning and mostly just replaces one bad odor with another. In fact it's probably advised to avoid putting it anywhere but your hands unless you want to risk a rash or other breakout. In order to work around Amtrak's four decades of resistance against installing a showers anywhere coach passengers can reach them you'll need to bring a portable cleansing solution with you.

prod_shot.png

Being left to sit in your own filth for days on end without access to soap or a shower is the kind of disgusting existence you'd expect from a third world hovel. Unfortunately on Amtrak coach passengers are still forbidden from entering the showers and are stuck with a commercial grade artificially scented liquid detergent that does a poor job of body cleaning and mostly just replaces one bad odor with another. In fact it's probably advised to avoid putting it anywhere but your hands unless you want to risk a rash or other breakout. In order to work around Amtrak's four decades of resistance against installing a showers anywhere coach passengers can reach them you'll need to bring a portable cleansing solution with you.
No. It's called transcontinental bus service and has been around for many years even after trains started offering rooms with shower availability.

Possibly Amtrak could make a few bucks offering a shower in a modified Superliner downstairs cafe where you pay the attendant for a key to the shower room and he/she makes sure it is not shared and not used for more than, say, 15 minutes.

So I was on the California Zephyr a few years ago and went to take my evening shower, kit and towel in one hand and change clothes in the other. I opened the Shower Room door and there was a young couple obviously from Coach about to get frisky! At least they were still dressed and when they saw me, they scurried faster than a Turpentined Cat!

Olympian's response is one reason sleeping car attendants do their best to keep their cars free of unauthorized visitors. I suppose it would be nice to make some arrangement to provide this kind of service to coach passengers, but I can't think of a practical way to do it without compromising service to sleeper passengers, while virtually inviting abuse. Of all the things Amtrak might do to improve service to coach passengers, this is one of the most unlikely to come to pass, especially in the current climate of creature-comfort service cuts.

No. It's called transcontinental bus service and has been around for many years even after trains started offering rooms with shower availability.

Possibly Amtrak could make a few bucks offering a shower in a modified Superliner downstairs cafe where you pay the attendant for a key to the shower room and he/she makes sure it is not shared and not used for more than, say, 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes I'd hope there's water in the tank.....

After 15 minutes I'd hope there's water in the tank.....
Well, to be fair, that 15 minutes would include the shower time plus drying off and getting dressed. That's about how long it takes me at home, and I'm not dealing with swaying/shaking in a room the size of my closet. ;)

Yes, showers for coach would be nice. And yes, it is probably not feasible for the the reasons mentioned.

What I think should be feasible is to have shower facilities at transer points. I understand that Chicago's Union Station had shower facilities at one time, and I would think it much simpler to put such facilities in a station rather than modify a train car and provide monitoring and service for an on-board shower.

Probably most people traveling from the coast to coast get a sleeper anyway, but for someone going from Pittsburgh or Memphis to Saint Paul or Denver or Albuquerque, it might be worthwhile. Even for sleeping car passengers, some might rather wait for the transfer station rather than deal with the "swaying/shaking in a room the size of my closet." (Thanks, SarahZ, for the phrasing.)

Yes, showers for coach would be nice. And yes, it is probably not feasible for the the reasons mentioned.

What I think should be feasible is to have shower facilities at transer points. I understand that Chicago's Union Station had shower facilities at one time, and I would think it much simpler to put such facilities in a station rather than modify a train car and provide monitoring and service for an on-board shower.

Probably most people traveling from the coast to coast get a sleeper anyway, but for someone going from Pittsburgh or Memphis to Saint Paul or Denver or Albuquerque, it might be worthwhile. Even for sleeping car passengers, some might rather wait for the transfer station rather than deal with the "swaying/shaking in a room the size of my closet." (Thanks, SarahZ, for the phrasing.)
Any Truck Stop worthy of stopping at has Showers available for the Truckers; so there is no reason "pay per view" Showers could not be installed at the transfer Stations.

After breathable air, drinkable water, and life sustaining pressures and temperatures I'd put the ability to easily clean yourself at a similar level of need as food. We can have a whole separate car with a massive labor cost that does nothing but feed us and yet we can't have even a single shower in a coach car?

Agreed. If Amtrak was serious about making the long distance coach experience moderately pleasant they would at least offer showers at terminals and major connecting hubs. Charging a modest amount like $5 for routine cleaning and upkeep would be fine with me.

Probably most people traveling from the coast to coast get a sleeper anyway, but for someone going from Pittsburgh or Memphis to Saint Paul or Denver or Albuquerque, it might be worthwhile. Even for sleeping car passengers, some might rather wait for the transfer station rather than deal with the "swaying/shaking in a room the size of my closet."
Most people who ride Amtrak travel by coach regardless of the distance.

After breathable air, drinkable water, and life sustaining pressures and temperatures I'd put the ability to easily clean yourself at a similar level of need as food.
How about I don't shower for a month, you don't eat for a month, and then we can sit down and talk about how similar those needs are.

At home, my morning shower is pretty much a mandatory way to start every day, but for a trip that's a single overnight (or maybe two) forgoing a shower isn't a big deal at all.

Most of the world doesn't have any potable drinking water, yet we're obsessed with cleanliness!

We spend more on Laundry and Dry Cleaning and hygene and cosmetic products than most countries spend on food!( same for our pets)

Showers are nice ( some people say baths are even nicer!) but most people in the world don't have a clue what its like to operate one, yet alone take one!

Ryan has it right, one day/night without a shower isn't the end of the world, but anymore and it becomes uncomfortable for we spoiled Westerners.

Anyone that's served on a Naval Ship, or been in Combat, knows what a luxury a nice shower or bath is!

Last edited by a moderator:
After breathable air, drinkable water, and life sustaining pressures and temperatures I'd put the ability to easily clean yourself at a similar level of need as food.
How about I don't shower for a month, you don't eat for a month, and then we can sit down and talk about how similar those needs are. At home, my morning shower is pretty much a mandatory way to start every day, but for a trip that's a single overnight (or maybe two) forgoing a shower isn't a big deal at all.
Point taken. Nonetheless I'd happily take a challenge of not eating anything for however long it takes to travel with Amtrak from Miami to Seattle, which I believe is around four days or so. There is no way I'd willingly go four days without showering, but maybe I'm just weird like that. Just in case it's not obvious I'm not interested in taking away your food just to get my shower.

Most people who ride Amtrak travel by coach regardless of the distance.
Long story, but I had a friend/house mate who took a few weeks off and traveled by Amtrak on an unlimited pass back in the 90s. All by coach. My back would have been gone doing the same thing, and I was pretty young.

Interesting rant on poisonous Amtrak soap = only to offer up a just as toxic solution to that problem. One that in fact could cause just as many rash / sensitivity issues. Basic alcohol wipes will get job done. Personally I don't use hotel soap and try to avoid using public restroom soaps. I carry my own supply from a vendor in my area who handcrafts soaps.

I understand the need and the want for showers on trains for coach. But think about how bathrooms look after a few hours of travel. I can only imagine how a shower stall would look. As was mentioned with current funding - past and present - there will be more important priorities.

While I greatly appreciate the availability of a shower in sleepers. It has been mentioned that shower area is little more than a closet. This is mostly in refurbished cars. Older cars seem to have a larger shower room. After showering it is hard to maneuver to get dressed and normally shower room is an oven. Which has me sweating and defeating purpose of shower.

Pay for showers are an option that should be explored. It was mentioned within this forum or somewhere online that showers in Union Station Chicago may have been shutdown do to security issues. I'd have to re-watch my video. But area were showers used to be - might be where they are planning on relocating Metropolitan Lounge.

Interesting rant on poisonous Amtrak soap = only to offer up a just as toxic solution to that problem. One that in fact could cause just as many rash / sensitivity issues.
My experience was with the green pack that says it's for sensitive skin like on faces and babies and it seemed to work fine for me in a pinch. I'm not big on rubbing alcohol, in fact I absolutely hate the smell, but if you don't mind then it's probably just as good if not better.

I understand the need and the want for showers on trains for coach. But think about how bathrooms look after a few hours of travel. I can only imagine how a shower stall would look. As was mentioned with current funding - past and present - there will be more important priorities.
So far as I can tell the reason the coach bathrooms look like crap is primarily because Amtrak coach staff are too proud and/or too lazy to clean them properly on a regular basis. The sleeper staff seem to do a much better job. Technically it's the same staff but they only seem to bother with it when they're on sleeper duty.

After showering it is hard to maneuver to get dressed and normally shower room is an oven. Which has me sweating and defeating purpose of shower.
Never seen anyone who can sweat a whole day's worth of filth back onto their body immediately after showering, but if that's your experience then I can understand why you'd be disinterested. Maybe you should turn the water temperature down a bit.

Pay for showers are an option that should be explored. It was mentioned within this forum or somewhere online that showers in Union Station Chicago may have been shutdown do to security issues.
I'd be curious to hear how the only way to resolve the "safety" issue was to remove the showers permanently. Were people sniffing bath salts? Were they fashioning shivs out of soap holders? Were they pulling pipes out of the walls? Inquiring minds want to know.

So far as I can tell the reason the coach bathrooms look like crap is primarily because Amtrak coach staff are too proud and/or too lazy to clean them properly on a regular basis. The sleeper staff seem to do a much better job. Technically it's the same staff but they only seem to bother with it when they're on sleeper duty.
I wonder if such is related to tipping; sleeper passengers tend to tip more than coach.

I'd be curious to hear how the only way to resolve the "safety" issue was to remove the showers permanently. Were people sniffing bath salts? Were they fashioning shivs out of soap holders? Were they pulling pipes out of the walls? Inquiring minds want to know.
I wonder if these showers attracted the homeless, and such tends to also bring other problems in with them.

Maybe showers should've been part of the new legacy club. Say $25 for the 'deluxe' entry that includes shower. That I could get behind (well if Chicago weren't place where I knew people who would happily let me pop in for a shower on a layover).

Booked far enough in advance and riding during the 'off season', a Roomette from Denver to Reno can be a little as $185.

That would include 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, and 1 dinner in the dining car.

You could ride coach to Denver, roomette from Denver to Reno, and coach from Reno to Sacramento.

Denver to Reno is about 25 hours. As an additional benefit, once in Sacramento you are still considered a sleeper berth customer and get access to the sleeper berth passenger waiting area and no fee baggage storage perks in the SAC station for the remainder of the day your were a sleeper berth passenger.

Lots of westbound CZ roomettes empty in Denver and don't get booked from Denver to Emeryville.

Oh! That 'bunk bed' will sure feel nice after a night of sleeping in a coach seat. Assuming you don't join the 'Lounge Lizards' and sleep in the SSL car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back