Shower room pigs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
On one of my trips we apparently had a shower room pig the left the room a sloppy mess and used bars of soap everywhere. :angry2:

Has this happened to anyone else.

I try to get to the shower first or use it at odd times when no one is around. If you wait for early morning or evening, it's going to be a mess.

My pet peeve is when the SCA leaves clean towels on the seat. The seat should be for sitting. :)

My philosophy on the shower is plain and simple. It is not only mine to use but belongs to my fellow passengers as well; therefore I strive to keep it cleaner than when I came into it. When through I always rinse down the shower walls and dispose of the soap. Then when I am finished dressing out I towel the inside of the shower dry, polish the bright work a bit and finish by drying the mirror and the floor. Yes it means using an extra bath towel but it's worth it.

They should put cameras in there to find out who is making all the mess.

My philosophy on the shower is plain and simple. It is not only mine to use but belongs to my fellow passengers as well; therefore I strive to keep it cleaner than when I came into it. When through I always rinse down the shower walls and dispose of the soap. Then when I am finished dressing out I towel the inside of the shower dry, polish the bright work a bit and finish by drying the mirror and the floor. Yes it means using an extra bath towel but it's worth it.
Thank you :hi: I don't go quite that far, but I try to leave it (bathroom too) in the condition I'd like to find it.

They should put cameras in there to find out who is making all the mess.
And thank you too, I needed a good laugh today. :giggle:

Yes it means using an extra bath towel but it's worth it.
I've wondered about this for a while - has anyone ever been on a train that has run out of towels?

I'm just curious, because I still don't quite understand how the towel "system" is supposed to work. Since there are towels in your room, I assume you're supposed to bring that down to the shower - but there are already clean towels in the shower room. There's a bin for used towels in the shower, but no such bin in your room.

If bring your own towel to the shower, but leave that towel in the bin after you shower, you then don't have any towels in your room. Is it considered proper train etiquette to bring a clean towel from the pile back to your room to "restock" your room, or what? Or are you supposed to use the towels that are provided in the shower, & the ones in your room are backups in case the ones in the shower run out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've wondered about this for a while - has anyone ever been on a train that has run out of towels?

I'm just curious, because I still don't quite understand how the towel "system" is supposed to work. Since there are towels in your room, I assume you're supposed to bring that down to the shower - but there are already clean towels in the shower room. There's a bin for used towels in the shower, but no such bin in your room.

If bring your own towel to the shower, but leave that towel in the bin after you shower, you then don't have any towels in your room. Is it considered proper train etiquette to bring a clean towel from the pile back to your room to "restock" your room, or what? Or are you supposed to use the towels that are provided in the shower, & the ones in your room are backups in case the ones in the shower run out?
Having a towel in your room depends on the train. I've never had more than a washcloth and a handtowel in my room on the Texas Eagle.

If I am on the Builder for two nights, I use my towel in the room and when I am done with it I wipe the shower down and put it in the used towel bag. I then take a fresh towel back with me for my next shower.

If they ever get a new superliner, it should have one less bathroom on the lower level and a second shower.

On the Silvers, I've never found the showers to be heavily utilised - on our last trip, I believe that I was the only user in the car, the entire trip. Plenty of towels in the shower room, I never bring my roommette towel. Of course, YMMV.

is the B.O. factor in the diner acceptable?,

the train dont reek from people who dont

shower does it, , :giggle: :giggle:

You are supposed to use a little common sense and courtesy to other passengers. There are no rules or protocol on Amtrak trains. It's just whatever the car host decides to do. Ask him or her when in doubt. If the shower is messed up notify the car host. If you run out of towels.........ask. If there is no soap or shampoo............ask. It's not that hard. The car host or SCA or whatever they call them now days is in charge of his/her individual car. They have their own protocol and it may be different from car to car on the same train. There is no one else to tell them what to do. They are basically the 'captain' of the ship in that car for the duration of the trip.

Why can't the SCA clean up the shower?

Sleepers cost me anywhere from $500 to $1,500 each way but apparently it's still not enough to pay an SCA to clean up the world's smallest shower room.

I always leave it cleaner than I find it. I usually take my showers either mid afternoon or 3 AM
Remind me to take my shower just after you. But, I don't like either of your times so as a courtesy, would you mind taking in in the morning just before me then while still in the shower, call me on your cell phone so I can get there before anyone else?

If you were really courteous, you'd skip taking your shower and just clean it for me.

Thanks.

:giggle:

is the B.O. factor in the diner acceptable?,the train dont reek from people who dont

shower does it, , :giggle: :giggle:
fixed
Remember that 60 years ago, there was just 1 or 2 showers on the entire train, if you were lucky. And those showers were inside the rooms of the super duper deluxe suites only! 99% of the passengers on the train did not have access to the showers!

Why can't the SCA clean up the shower?
Sleepers cost me anywhere from $500 to $1,500 each way but apparently it's still not enough to pay an SCA to clean up the world's smallest shower room.
And you want then to do more work, and also stand outside the shower room. And then when someone comes out, they can hang a big "Closed For Cleaning" sign on the door? :blush: And they can do the same with the rest rooms too.

Airfare costs more, and airline pilots make more. Should they clean the rest rooms too? :blush: After all, 95% of the flight is done on auto-pilot. The only time the pilots are needed are during takeoff and landings. (And actually the computers could do those also!)

Calm down. Take a break in your penthouse. Put a cold wash cloth over your forehead.

You are supposed to use a little common sense and courtesy to other passengers. There are no rules or protocol on Amtrak trains. It's just whatever the car host decides to do. Ask him or her when in doubt. If the shower is messed up notify the car host. If you run out of towels.........ask. If there is no soap or shampoo............ask. It's not that hard. The car host or SCA or whatever they call them now days is in charge of his/her individual car. They have their own protocol and it may be different from car to car on the same train. There is no one else to tell them what to do. They are basically the 'captain' of the ship in that car for the duration of the trip.
I can't understand how Amtrak employees can be unionized within an inch of their life, yet there are basically no rules or protocol as to what any of the SCAs do, or when they do it. Your SCA may greet you as you board, help you with luggage, show you to your room and explain all its features, take your dining reservation, and leave you with towels. Or, your SCA may not show up at all.

Personally, I prefer clean bathrooms and a clean shower over whatever else the SCA is supposed to be doing. I don't make my own beds because I've heard that some SCAs get offended if you do it yourself (even though it's not hard - once you see how it's done, it's easy to do yourself). I have offered to make up / take down the bed myself, and my SCAs have always told me that they'd prefer to do it themselves. However, I've had many SCAs ask me what time I want the beds made up, but then not show up until hours after my requested time - or have them show up hours early!

It's too bad they don't have "do not disturb" signs, like at hotels - I'll take care of everything inside my bedroom, and the SCA can take care of cleaning and restocking the public stuff.

I'm sure other people feel differently - for health/personal reasons, I'm sure many people need the SCA to make up their beds. However, for those able-bodied people who can do it themselves, it seems like a waste of time that the SCA could be using to do other things - like clean the showers.

I've wondered about this for a while - has anyone ever been on a train that has run out of towels?I'm just curious, because I still don't quite understand how the towel "system" is supposed to work. Since there are towels in your room, I assume you're supposed to bring that down to the shower - but there are already clean towels in the shower room. There's a bin for used towels in the shower, but no such bin in your room.If bring your own towel to the shower, but leave that towel in the bin after you shower, you then don't have any towels in your room. Is it considered proper train etiquette to bring a clean towel from the pile back to your room to "restock" your room, or what? Or are you supposed to use the towels that are provided in the shower, & the ones in your room are backups in case the ones in the shower run out?
If you're in a roomette, then you only have a hand towel and a wash cloth. There is no bath towel in your roomette to bring to the shower; so you have no choice but to use one of the towels in or near the shower.

As for bringing one back to your roomette, you'd really have no place to store it. And I'm not real sure what purpose it would serve.

If you're in a Bedroom, then I could understand bringing a "public" towel back to your room if you had used up the clean towels in your room. It would be your option as to whether or not you bring your private towel down to the public shower if you decide that you'd rather use the public shower rather than the more confined private shower in your room.

Lots of strange posts in several threads today, at least to my way of thinking.

If it's not the SCA's job to keep the restrooms and showers reasonably clean, whose job is it? It's one that must be done by someone. And wouldn't the engineer, rather than the SCA, be a better comparison to a pilot? But maybe you were intending to just be facetious.

DP: I so agree. The more posts I read at AU, the more puzzled I get at the lack of rules or consistency in Amtrak employees, and not just SCAs. Is this a top-down problem? Seems the whole mindset could benefit from a change. I've worked for several types of employers over the years, and at none of these would such wide spread inconsistency/lack of knowledge/disregard for rules have been tolerated, especially in those employees who deal with the public or customers.

I've had mostly very good experiences on the Crescent, but I'm amazed at what I've learned here on AU. smh

I certainly think it's reasonable to expect the SCA to keep the shower rooms clean. I don't, however, expect them to rush in and clean them after each and every use. I for instance tend to take my shower in the wee hours of the morning, 3AM or so. I don't expect for them to wake up out of what precious little sleep they do get and clean it after I'm through using it at that hour. I also think it's reasonable for passengers to clean up a bit after themselves knowing the SCA may well be busy doing something else and others may wish to use the shower before the SCA can get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back