Siemens cars went on test run on CN on Monday-checking to see if they will set of the crossing shunts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The article is from Trains Magazine. It is behind a pay wall. There is also a thread over on train orders. The purpose of the trip was to determine if the new cars would activate the crossing shunts to get the gates to go down. The article stated that CN and the state of Illinois have been working on this issue since 2006. IMHO this is pathetic that something like this is even an issue in 2021. If the crossing shunts still don't work they probably should integrate the crossings with the positive train control system.

Here is a link to the article. News photo: New Siemens cars depart for testing - Trains

Last edited:
Doesn't UP also have this problem, or something similar? I think Amtrak has to add extra cars to Missouri River Runner trains as well.

Or they should get crossing shunts that do work and are used all over the world even with single car trains. CN is just lazy. 🤷‍♂️

True, and it plays particularly badly with Amtrak, it seems. Much like VIA north of the border.

Or they should get crossing shunts that do work and are used all over the world even with single car trains. CN is just lazy. 🤷‍♂️
CN would like nothing better than to drive all passenger service off their rails permanently. They've spent years building a reputation as the Class I most hostile to Amtrak. "Working" on an issue for 15 years is just a part of that strategy.

When I read that the State of Illinois was dedicating $100 million towards improvements on the CN/IC line that carries the Illini and Saluki, I took it to be an inducement to CN to finally "solve" the problem. Perhaps that, coupled with an administration that will actually clamp down on the Class Is when they misbehave, might do the trick.

Bureaucrats. The CEO of CN should receive a terse letter from the Governor of Illinois and a request for sit down meeting. That would be enough to send a message and get ops to figure it out. Then again, CN's political donations keep such meetings from happening.

Remember the story of why the old CNW now UP kept Chicago's commuter trains relatively on time. The CEO of CNW did want to receive phone calls from other CEOs stuck on delayed commuter trains. Public pressure works, one just have to care enough to apply it.

The freight railroads are in a wait and see mode when it comes to Amtrak. Never have they had to deal with an administration that actually knows what Amtrak is.

Back