Sights to see between NYP and BOS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The big site is KIN! :giggle:

Many are surprised by the scenery between NYP and BOS. I consider it one of the most scenic routes on Amtrak. From OSB to PVD, you are either within sight of water (either Long Island Sound or Narragansett Bay - sometimes within feet) or thru a deeply wooded area. You would never think you were in the middle of the most populated area of the country!

Nice scenry on the right side of the train going towards Boston from New Haven. Between New Haven and Old Saybrook, you run along Long Island Sound and the extensive wetlands. Crossing the Connecticut River is a nice view. There is also a nice view of the sound about 10 minutes later as you travel through Rocky Neck State Park. In the summer there are lots of folks on the beach

The entrance into New London is interesting as you go along the harbor and then cross the Thames River. Often there are are ships including the Coast Guard Eagle, ferries to Long Island, and on very rare occasions submarines going down river from the sub base in Groton. Beyond New London you travel through woodlands, wetlands and along Long Island Sound. In particular the area around Mystic and then Stonington is quite scenic.

After Westerley you start heading more northerly (as opposed to east) and away from the water. The view isn't as scenic but it is interesting. If you are interested in train related views, the north side (other side) will have a small rail yard for Amtrak and the P&W (I think) just after Providence Station. Track speed is fast between Kingston and Providence and again after Providence.

I'm less familiar with the stretch from Rt. 128 station into Back Bay and South Station. The last 5+ miles into Back Bay are in a trench with limited views (part of a major rebuild during the 1980's which relocated the MBTA's Orange Line from above ground to below grade.

I agree that the coastal scenery along through CT and RI is lovely. I used to live near Westerly when I was stationed in New London, and always get nostalgic thoughts when passing through on the train.

A particularly good view of the New York skyline is seen from the Hell Gate Bridge shortly after leaving NYP.

I'd definitely go during daylight hours if the schedule works with your plans.

It is a really lovely trip! Make sure you sit on the right hand side when heading North/East to BOS from NYP.

The CT and RI scenery from Amtrak is also some of our favorite. Daylight for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually liked right when your leaving New York. I remeber going through some industrial areas and some very bad areas. I am odd though. Yes, nature is pretty but it all the same. You see one tree you have seen them all! Old run down factories are interesting. You can look for long time just looking at the details and thinking what it was and how it operated.

Yes, only the Acela has locomotives on both ends. Regionals have a locomotive on one end.

Most times you come down the east escalator. The trains from NYP to BOS head east. So the direction you exit the escalator is east, with the right side on the right of the train.

Also, with the exception of the Acela, the seats will be all facing forward. (There are a few exceptions, like the handicap seats at the end of the car near the rest room.) so the seats will be facing left or right.

Most times you come down the east escalator. The trains from NYP to BOS head east. So the direction you exit the escalator is east, with the right side on the right of the train.
I've come down the west escalator just as many times as the east one. It's really luck of the draw and what other trains might be about to board.

The best, sure fire way to know which side you want to be on is to look down the platform in both directions. This only works during daylight hours, but in one direction you should see daylight. The rear of the train will be closest to the end where the daylight is, and therefore the engine would be at the far end. Face the engine, and then sit on the right side of the train based upon that. This trick works for all trains, including Acela.

If one is boarding after dark, then it gets harder. But the best way at that point is that the east gates point towards 7th Avenue. That is the head end of the train. West gate escalators drop you on the platform facing 8th Avenue and the rear of the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back