Sightseer Lounge discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much forever. Only instance I've heard with limits is on the California Zephyr through the rocky mountains, in which there is sometimes a two hour limit for all passengers. I think this only goes into place when it's very busy, and I am unsure of how well it's enforced.

No time limit, unless you are disturbing others. Some Coach passengers will spend most of the day in the lounge.
Of course, if they drink enough coffee, they will need to leave the lounge. If they are new riders, first they'll try the restroom downstairs and discover that it is "out of order" -- always. In fact, they have to go back upstairs to eat, too, because even the booths are out of order.
P1050931.JPG

Of course, if they drink enough coffee, they will need to leave the lounge. If they are new riders, first they'll try the restroom downstairs and discover that it is "out of order" -- always. In fact, they have to go back upstairs to eat, too, because even the booths are out of order.
View attachment 32711
Yes, that is the ‘office’ area for crew now on most trains…

Yes, that is the ‘office’ area for crew now on most trains…
That’s a shame.
Back when I was a frequent rider on the SFZ and CZ in the ‘80’s, the passengers had full use of the lower level, and the younger people would party there late into the night. At closing time, the attendant would sell several rounds to those wishing to party on. Back then there was a piano, and a television showing movies. There was also a radio to play music, news, and sports.

The crew had their “office” in the 40 seat portion of the original transdorm. They would only seat passengers in that car for overloads, or sometimes a group. Some crews would use a booth in the diner, but only overnight, when the diner was closed

I thought one or two tables in the dining car was the office for the crew. Has something changed? Maybe they now have two offices on each train.

The main thing that changed is that when they only served meals to sleeper passengers, three-quarters of the dining car sat idle. (I don't know if it's always that way -- but the last 3 times I rode the builder, we had a 16-seat dining car. The four tables nearest the sleepers. With the traditional 3 or 4 seatings for each meal. Crew would make you wait for the next seating rather than dirty a paper tablecloth on a fifth table.)

I am cautiously optimistic that they will revert to using most of the dining car for its original purpose as they let more coach passengers in and (dare I hope) re-staff the diner.

Amtrak may be in a real bind in providing SSLs. What happens during appearances at Congress may set the tone. If there is a lot of backlash about reduced capacity Amtrak "MIGHT" concentrate on getting more revenue cars back in service. That wold mean notworking on non revenue cars as much . That leaves maybe fewer bag dorm & diners to be worked..

But especially Lounges, SSLs and bags work moved to FY 2024 ? Or maybe even farther out ??

The main thing that changed is that when they only served meals to sleeper passengers, three-quarters of the dining car sat idle. (I don't know if it's always that way -- but the last 3 times I rode the builder, we had a 16-seat dining car. The four tables nearest the sleepers. With the traditional 3 or 4 seatings for each meal. Crew would make you wait for the next seating rather than dirty a paper tablecloth on a fifth table.)

I am cautiously optimistic that they will revert to using most of the dining car for its original purpose as they let more coach passengers in and (dare I hope) re-staff the diner.
On the CZ last week almost all of the tables were used for seatings at all meals. And coach passengers were allowed in for meals during the entire trip - EMR-CHI.

If you're on a train with a sightseeing car, how long can Coach passengers hang out there before they're told to leave?
Usually, you can stay as long as you want. Provided you aren't taking up extra seats or reserving your seat with backpacks or other personal items I don't think the crew should get involved in policing the lounge. It's there for passengers to enjoy and it's extremely rare that it gets filled to capacity.

The only times I've ever seen it full is on the short stretch of the Zephyr Westbound leaving Denver and climbing into the Rockies. Now I've seen it "full" with passengers taking up entire booths with laptops, grocery bags, etc. - that's a different issue that does need to be addressed.

Back