Sightseer lounge open on TE/SWC/CZ/EB?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja5151

Train Attendant
Hi, everyone. I've been planning to take a western trip from St. Louis on a couple of the long-distance routes (maybe the California Zephyr and the Texas Eagle), but I've gotten conflicting info about the current COVID restrictions.

Does anyone know if the sightseer lounge seating is currently open? I'd be traveling with 3 family members, and one of the main attractions for us is the ability to sit together at a table and play cards, etc.

Right now my railroad and airline of choice are Enterprise. When I did my South Dakota run last Summer, I was able to get a nice midsize for about $250 including all the vig and didn't have to worry about miles. With 4 traveling longer distances, you may want to look into an SUV. This way you'll have freedom of when and where the diner is, ability to develop your own lounge car menu and not be stuck to a railroad's timetable.

It is open on the routes that are still running with one. That definitely includes the CZ, but I think the TE is running without a sightseer lounge right now.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if that means no sightseer lounge from STL to LAX, or if possibly the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited would have it for the San Antonio - LAX stretch?

Thanks for the info. I wonder if that means no sightseer lounge from STL to LAX, or if possibly the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited would have it for the San Antonio - LAX stretch?
You are on the right track. Train 21/22 is currently running with a Cross Country Cafe where half of the car is designated as the dining area for sleepers, during these service times the attendant closes the cafe (so if in coach plan your meals outside of normal meal time). When not being used for the sleeper meals, the attendant mans the center cafe desk to sell food to coach passengers.
Train 1/2, the Sunset Limited, does have a lounge car and as of the end of November about half of the tables were labeled as closed for social distancing and pax were just asked to do that on their own in the side facing seats. The cafe downstairs was open as normal, but all seating down there is closed.

You are on the right track. Train 21/22 is currently running with a Cross Country Cafe where half of the car is designated as the dining area for sleepers, during these service times the attendant closes the cafe (so if in coach plan your meals outside of normal meal time). When not being used for the sleeper meals, the attendant mans the center cafe desk to sell food to coach passengers.
Train 1/2, the Sunset Limited, does have a lounge car and as of the end of November about half of the tables were labeled as closed for social distancing and pax were just asked to do that on their own in the side facing seats. The cafe downstairs was open as normal, but all seating down there is closed.

They are really making 1 LSA do all of that work???

Back