Signing tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares? This whole thing strikes me as much ado about nothing. If they ask me for a signature, they get one. If not they don't. Again, who cares? On the scale of life's top 1,000,000 real issues, this one would probably not even appear.
well no one said you had to read the whole thread. geeze this is what makes a forum don't like it make your own forum

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is more the silliness of it than the actual inconvenience. I can buy British Airways Club World tickets for two to London and sign nothing at any point in the process, but buy a $6 Amtrak ticket from Philadelphia to Paoli and you have to sign the stupid thing. Pretty funny, to be honest. It is one more example of how Amtrak struggles to move past the 1970's.

Who cares? This whole thing strikes me as much ado about nothing. If they ask me for a signature, they get one. If not they don't. Again, who cares? On the scale of life's top 1,000,000 real issues, this one would probably not even appear.
If this forum were stripped of all such topics, it would be a lot less interesting, and have a lot less traffic.
Merely trying to point out the silliness I see in the whole thing, Feel free to continue, so far as I am concerned.

If this forum were stripped of all such topics, it would be a lot less interesting, and have a lot less traffic.
Merely trying to point out the silliness I see in the whole thing, Feel free to continue, so far as I am concerned.
Aloha George

I think the reason this thread has lasted so long is exactly how silly Amtrak is about Signatures. We are almost all laughing at them, instead of with them, while letting the mind ---

Mahalo

Eric

sense the conductors don't know what the signature means. lets say my mom orders the tickets and signs them yet my name is on there. the conductor goes this signature is not your name it does not match. then what.

But Alan Do you think the guy on the PA of our Surhliner north to LA on Saturday could understand that. :lol:
Aloha
Four seats are for groups. No single or two people on four seats. Again four seats.... four seats.... four seats are for groups of three or more no singles or two people on four seats..... [repeat ad-infinitum] :)

I think it is more the silliness of it than the actual inconvenience. I can buy British Airways Club World tickets for two to London and sign nothing at any point in the process, but buy a $6 Amtrak ticket from Philadelphia to Paoli and you have to sign the stupid thing. Pretty funny, to be honest. It is one more example of how Amtrak struggles to move past the 1970's.
What is telling about this is that while Amtrak is still dicking around with what needs signing on a piece of paper, more advanced 21st century outfits like Continental Airlines and a few others have gone so far as to not even ever require a printed boarding card. You can just download the barcode into your PDA and have it scanned from your PDA at the boarding gate. I used it on my last trip and was quite impressed actually.

BTW, someone mentioned Singapore Airlines a bit earlier in the thread. They can be interesting. Officially they require that the credit card that was used to purchase the ticket over the internet be presented at the time of departure using the ticket. Of course this sometimes runs up against reality of the physical world where credit cards expire and get lost. BTW, they do not really require you to sign anything at the point of embarkation, at least they have never asked me to do so. But it did happen once when the credit card that I used to pay for the ticket 7 months back had been replaced by the CC company with a different card with a different number. I pointed this out to SQ and they happily waived the credit card requirement after ensuring that the name on the new credit card matched the name in my passport - fat good that was going to do anyone about anything, and I was on my way on the Newark- Singapore non-stop 19 or so hour flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back