Signs at New York Pennsylvania Station (NYP)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DivMiler

Lead Service Attendant
A most interesting article at Slate that I first saw a reference to on FlyerTalk. While New York Penn (NYP) is not my "home" station, I do use it occasionally and it is confusing to get around. It has a lot of observations that I hadn't thought about -- as well as the discipline of "wayfinding" -- determining how to best move people from one place to another.

As I was reading it, I was thinking airports in general seem to do a fairly good job of getting people from one place to another inside the airports, even though they may have scores of different airlines operating there. Did the old Union stations (from where several railroads operated) do a good job of getting passengers from one railroad to another? How well does Chicago Union Station work now, with Amtrak and Metra and ??? operating out of there?

I read that too, glad you posted this link. The whole discussion really caught the issue, it's easy to get lost underground in crowds in unfamiliar surroundings. Definitely worth a look.

Well, I know its ALOT different for a first timer, but it isn't relly that hard. Once you get to the LIRR section, she could have beared left and just as well ended up in NJTs concourse. There's also the Hilton Concourse, which can also be accessed from the 1. Then there be a few different ways to get up to the Amtrak concourse(Although still a bit confusing for the regular person).I have diligently gone up and down every possible way in the station, so I know where I want to go when I have to.

Well, I know its ALOT different for a first timer, but it isn't relly that hard. Once you get to the LIRR section, she could have beared left and just as well ended up in NJTs concourse. There's also the Hilton Concourse, which can also be accessed from the 1. Then there be a few different ways to get up to the Amtrak concourse(Although still a bit confusing for the regular person).I have diligently gone up and down every possible way in the station, so I know where I want to go when I have to.

We will be travelling via AMTRAK to Florida in a months time, this is a first (we live in Spain and are in our mid sixties) Frankly

this does not fill me with confidence, either handling transit from JFK or making our way to Penn!

The problem is that even if there are different routes, it's confusing to present them on separate but nearby signs. It makes it look like one of the signs is wrong, since they don't agree. Either only one route should be shown, or each sign should show both.

A most interesting article at Slate that I first saw a reference to on FlyerTalk. While New York Penn (NYP) is not my "home" station, I do use it occasionally and it is confusing to get around. It has a lot of observations that I hadn't thought about -- as well as the discipline of "wayfinding" -- determining how to best move people from one place to another.
As I was reading it, I was thinking airports in general seem to do a fairly good job of getting people from one place to another inside the airports, even though they may have scores of different airlines operating there. Did the old Union stations (from where several railroads operated) do a good job of getting passengers from one railroad to another? How well does Chicago Union Station work now, with Amtrak and Metra and ??? operating out of there?
The photo slideshow in the article is priceless, and it game me an instant headache as I recalled my own frustrating trips out of Penn. I never really figured how to get to Amtrak from the subway lines, and I would ascend to street level to orient myself and to prevent an impending nervous breakdown. Even in the rain, I would walk the several blocks it took to get to the Amtrak entrance on 8th Ave. Even when sitting waiting for the gate assignment for my incoming train, I practice deep breathing and relaxation techniques because the commotion makes my head spin. :unsure:

To the traveller flying into JFK, I strongly suggest hiring a taxi to get you to Penn. It's a flat $45 to any location in Manhattan, plus gratuity of course. This is a long and uncomfortable trip on the "airtrain"

The photo slideshow in the article is priceless, and it game me an instant headache as I recalled my own frustrating trips out of Penn. I never really figured how to get to Amtrak from the subway lines, and I would ascend to street level to orient myself and to prevent an impending nervous breakdown. Even in the rain, I would walk the several blocks it took to get to the Amtrak entrance on 8th Ave. Even when sitting waiting for the gate assignment for my incoming train, I practice deep breathing and relaxation techniques because the commotion makes my head spin. :unsure:

To the traveller flying into JFK, I strongly suggest hiring a taxi to get you to Penn. It's a flat $45 to any location in Manhattan, plus gratuity of course. This is a long and uncomfortable trip on the "airtrain"
Airtrain to Jamaica, LIRR west To NY Penn: neither long nor uncomfortable, unless you're going during the morning rush hour(s).

Airtrain to Jamaica, LIRR west To NY Penn: neither long nor uncomfortable, unless you're going during the morning rush hour(s).
4krysia, you are correct. Apparently I was the muse for JFK employee who told me that the A subway line was the "Airtrain". I was young and apparently rather foolish (or gullible) when I did this bottom-numbing trip (about 5 years ago).

Thank you for correcting me, and I agree that the LIRR is a pretty comfy and quick ride into Penn.

It is very easy to get from JFK airport to Penn Station without taking a taxi.

Take the Airtrain to the Jamaica stop, then just walk a very short distance to the LIRR terminal, and take a westbound train into Penn station. Just make sure the train goes to Penn station. Some trains that stop there go to Brooklyn.

The trains are every 1/2 hour during the week, and every hour on weekends.

When LIRR train arrives into Penn station you are already very near the Amtrak terminal. Take the stairs at the LIRR terminal, which are to the right of the waiting area and restrooms. There is also a police desk right there,and they can direct you should you need assistance. Just go up the stairs, turn right, and you will see directions to Amtrak.

That's the best thing about taking the LIRR train, you arrive right near Amtrak.

Bill

:cool:

All I know is when I connected from a Empire Service that arrived on the lower levels and was to connect to the Crescent, the signs left me completely confused. I have to say signage at any airport always got me where I was going.

It is very easy to get from JFK airport to Penn Station without taking a taxi.Take the Airtrain to the Jamaica stop, then just walk a very short distance to the LIRR terminal, and take a westbound train into Penn station. Just make sure the train goes to Penn station. Some trains that stop there go to Brooklyn.

The trains are every 1/2 hour during the week, and every hour on weekends.

When LIRR train arrives into Penn station you are already very near the Amtrak terminal. Take the stairs at the LIRR terminal, which are to the right of the waiting area and restrooms. There is also a police desk right there,and they can direct you should you need assistance. Just go up the stairs, turn right, and you will see directions to Amtrak.

That's the best thing about taking the LIRR train, you arrive right near Amtrak.

Bill

:cool:
I don't even think the headways are that long between Jamaica and NYP. Probably in the neighborhood of every 5 minutes during the AM rush and every 10-15 minutes off peak. It's every half-hour to an hour heading eastbound depending on the branch used.

I've traveled into and out of Penn Station for most of my life and I think the signs can be very confusing for a first timer. However, the easiest things to remember are there are two major stairways from the LIRR concourse to the Amtrak level. One is at 7th Avenue to the right of the police desk and the LIRR ticketed waiting area. Go up the escalators and turn right walk down the corridor and Amtrak is right there. The second staircase isn't as easy to locate but it's at the 8th Avenue end right before reaching the subway station and the west end corridor. That staircase takes you right into the Amtrak area after passing Amtrak PD, a Hudson News and Auntie Ann's Pretzels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back