Silver Meteor running 5.5 hours late!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtonFlyer

Train Attendant
Amtrak Status Maps is reporting that Amtrak #97 is running 5 1/2 hours late! Looks like it was running generally on-time up until about Fayetteville, NC - and has been all downhill from there.

Anyone hear anything on scanners or the like as to what may have caused the delay?

The train is underway again , should arrive 9:50pm.

Five people were taken to the hospital Friday night after the vehicle they were in was struck by an Amtrak train near downtown Fayetteville.

The accident happened about 9:30 p.m. at the corner of Orange and Moore streets - just a block from the Rowan Street bridge.

At least one of the victims was believed to have been seriously hurt, but none of their names or conditions were available as of 11:45 p.m.

The crossing had been closed to traffic to allow maintenance to the CSX tracks.

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/10/24/945984

There appears to be a second crash one mile away.

The train sustained about $100,000 worth of damage but was able to continue on the trip. It was delayed while crews cleared the scene. The SUV was totaled.

Witnesses told police that signal lights were flashing and large neon lights were on the barricades when the collision occurred.

In the second collision, an Amtrak train struck an unoccupied vehicle stuck on tracks at 121 Whitfield St. around 1:20 a.m., police said. The collision occurred on the same tracks about a mile north of the first collision.

None of the 195 train passengers were injured. The vehicle was mangled, while the train sustained between $15,000 and $20,000 worth of damage.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/6273806/

There appears to be a second crash one mile away.

The train sustained about $100,000 worth of damage but was able to continue on the trip. It was delayed while crews cleared the scene. The SUV was totaled.

Witnesses told police that signal lights were flashing and large neon lights were on the barricades when the collision occurred.

In the second collision, an Amtrak train struck an unoccupied vehicle stuck on tracks at 121 Whitfield St. around 1:20 a.m., police said. The collision occurred on the same tracks about a mile north of the first collision.

None of the 195 train passengers were injured. The vehicle was mangled, while the train sustained between $15,000 and $20,000 worth of damage.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/6273806/

Thats a Superliner set-- it must be the Auto Train, not the Silver Meteor in the second collision.

An unoccupied vehicle in the middle of the track-- sounds like the owner stalled out then abandoned his vehicle in search of help rather than call CSX... Some people never think.

auto train would make sense for second incident.

the status showed it

Arrived: 1 hour and 20 minutes late

I am guess the both use the same tracks ?

Is there anyone in America who drives a car near to or across a rail track that isn't a utter halfwit?

This I don't seem to get.... $100K in damage to the train and it's still able to continue on its way? I assume if that's really the case, then they took the lead unit off, but how does a car or SUV cause that much damage??

This I don't seem to get.... $100K in damage to the train and it's still able to continue on its way? I assume if that's really the case, then they took the lead unit off, but how does a car or SUV cause that much damage??
Better question-- they had a claims adjustor on the scene that fast? Who gave the press that figure...

An unoccupied vehicle in the middle of the track-- sounds like the owner stalled out then abandoned his vehicle in search of help rather than call CSX... Some people never think.
I have always wondered, what's the odds of a car stalling out while crossing a track? Of all the places one's car could die or run out of gas, that seems less likely than winning the PowerBall 10 times in a row.

Though, honestly, even I would be clueless on how to call CSX. And even if I happen to have CSX's number on my cell's speed dial, getting someone from CSX that could help on the line is probably difficult.

I have always wondered, what's the odds of a car stalling out while crossing a track? Of all the places one's car could die or run out of gas, that seems less likely than winning the PowerBall 10 times in a row.

Though, honestly, even I would be clueless on how to call CSX. And even if I happen to have CSX's number on my cell's speed dial, getting someone from CSX that could help on the line is probably difficult.
those polls that the crossing lights are mounted on have a sign with a number to call to report a stalled car.at least the crossing by me does.

Last edited by a moderator:

I always thought it would make sense to just put the car in neutral, get out, and push it off the tracks. You would think in most cases that would be possible. Just turn the wheels first so it goes off the road and doesn't roll away and hit another car. Even if it rolls into a ditch, that'll do a lot less damage than a train.

those polls that the crossing lights are mounted on have a sign with a number to call to report a stalled car.at least the crossing by me does.
Correct Amtrakwolverine, every crossing in the country has a toll free number listed on one of the polls, along with a number that identifies that specific crossing to the railroad.

So as long as you've got cell phone service, you have a vere good chance of stopping the train.

This is why one should never go over a grade crossing at a speed less than 10 MPH. If you are traveling at greater than 10 MPH, you will clear the crossing if your car stalls as you approach.

This is why one should never go over a grade crossing at a speed less than 10 MPH. If you are traveling at greater than 10 MPH, you will clear the crossing if your car stalls as you approach.
As long as you don't brake... which is a typical reaction to somebody who stalls-- they sense a loss of control and slam the breaks down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back