Silver Meteor to terminate at Jacksonville in 3/29

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allypet

Service Attendant
Just saw this from Amtrak. “Silver Meteor Train 97 which will departed New York (NYP) on 3/29 will terminate in Jacksonville (JAX). No alternate transportation will be provided.”
Wondering if they are planning to quarantine people from NY at Jacksonville?

There was an Auto Train derailment a couple of days ago. Since then, 97 has been terminating in JAX and 98 has been originating in JAX. I believe they are still repairing the tracks.
I do not think it has anything to do with quarantines (however, we Floridians are not anxious to have New Yorkers in Florida).

Not sure if they are checking the state line going to Georgia on the east coast ... they ARE checking the cars coming in from Alabama to the west due to the rampant outbreaks in Louisiana - the termination in JAX is/was only due to the derailment of #52 not to check ID's

Now, is it possible they may check any who arrive in JAX, that could be but the Silvers are slated to return to their full route when the tracks are usable ... in fact, if you look at today's #97 and #91 the schedule shows the trains going to MIA not terminating in JAX

Not sure if they are checking the state line going to Georgia on the east coast ... they ARE checking the cars coming in from Alabama to the west due to the rampant outbreaks in Louisiana - the termination in JAX is/was only due to the derailment of #52 not to check ID's

Now, is it possible they may check any who arrive in JAX, that could be but the Silvers are slated to return to their full route when the tracks are usable ... in fact, if you look at today's #97 and #91 the schedule shows the trains going to MIA not terminating in JAX
They are also in the process of setting up checkpoints on I-95 per this report.
https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-new...-screen-travelers-coming-to-florida-panhandle

They are also in the process of setting up checkpoints on I-95 per this report.
https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-new...-screen-travelers-coming-to-florida-panhandle
Looks like a lot of "security theater" to me. Are there enough state troopers to patrol the entire state line? It looks like if someone wants to enter Florida without bothering to check in, all they have to do is drive over to Folkston and select any number of country roads that will allow them to bypass the I-95 checkpoints, and Jacksonville, too without even having to go to far out of the way. Anyway, it's not like they're going to prevent them from entering the state, they're only supposed to "self isolate."

There's probably enough infected people already in Florida to have a nice epidemic all on their own without worrying about evil Yankee carpetbaggers carrying viruses down. While it's true that it's best that people don't travel, the amount of xenophobia and paranoia that this epidemic is bringing to the surface disturbs me.

I would bet it’s related to the derailment as they are letting only 52/53 through currently. With some snow birds with seasonal rentals and leases coming to an end some will have no choice but to go home and those who are unwilling or able to make the whole drive may still take the train so you’ll probably still see some continued AT ridership even while the rest of the system may be riderless. Which is why this derailment was such bad timing - it’s probably one of the only routes anyone is likely riding.

It has nothing to do with the quarantines. It has everything with the derailment which is still causing issues.

I do not think it has anything to do with quarantines (however, we Floridians are not anxious to have New Yorkers in Florida).

I'm not a New Yorker but I'm there enough to think they'd have this response to your dig:

286019063028201.gif

Gov Cuomo of NY says that Rhode Island has rescended its Stop New Yorkers Order!

Now its time for the Governor of Florida and the other Clueless Officials( including My Governor in Texas) to quit pulling stuff out of their Rear ends and put pressure on the President to come up with a NATIONAL plan!

" We can hang Together, or we can hang Seperately." Benjamin Franklin

Ideally with States South of the Tri-State not happy with New Yorkers fleeing into their States the best thing to do is cancel the Silvers and anything else South of NJ until the pandemic has waned.

Back